1/48 Bang Doll

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Sheizzel

1/48 Bang Doll

Post by Sheizzel » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:18 pm

http://www.g-system-shop.com

G-system enlarged version of the WSC Bang. I don't like it one bit as I prefer the looks of Volks.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:26 pm

Hmm. Looks like they just hydro-spanned the WSC "retouched" kit.

I've been meaning to do that with the KoG V3 at some point, but never have the time.
John F. Moscato

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:29 am

Haw about giving the 1/144th scale Atoll Scritti the hydrospan treatment.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:11 am

You would hope that at 1:48 they would do something a bit nicer with the shoulder runes/inscriptions :(

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:31 pm

What is Hydro-Spanning ?

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:12 am

Hydrospan is a type of polymer/resin which, when cured, may be submerged in water, and expands a particular part to 1.6 times its size. In a nutshell, it's a way to "enlarge" parts.

I'm not that fond of it though, as once the part is removed from the water, it begins to shrink again... Sometimes shrinking as the part is being molded( my molds usually take 18-24 hrs to cure.)
John F. Moscato

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:05 am

I like their sense of humor when they said 80 cm. Hey, look at the hat. They pick a MH w/ the tallest hat out of all. :D

It's hard to see the details and proportion in those pic.

By the way, you'll bet G sys is back to their old trick again--cheap price now, if there is higher demand, higher price, like the 1/35 EX-S. Lower demand, lower price.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Hellequin

Re: 1/48 Bang Doll

Post by Hellequin » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:10 pm

Sheizzel wrote:http://www.g-system-shop.com

G-system enlarged version of the WSC Bang. I don't like it one bit as I prefer the looks of Volks.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who prefers the look of the Volks Bang Doll. If only it were an SAV...

Also... is anyone sure why they're marketing it with a light up sword and... face? :?
Has anyone seen this sort of thing with resin kits before?

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:29 pm

John F. Moscato wrote:Hydrospan is a type of polymer/resin which, when cured, may be submerged in water, and expands a particular part to 1.6 times its size. In a nutshell, it's a way to "enlarge" parts.

I'm not that fond of it though, as once the part is removed from the water, it begins to shrink again... Sometimes shrinking as the part is being molded( my molds usually take 18-24 hrs to cure.)
Wow, that's impressive ! Well I mean impressive/weird, mostly the fact that it keeps exact proportions, I wonder how that works exactly.

Concerning the Bangdoll, yup', a bit more details could've been better.
There are several artworks of the Bangdoll's head, with cross, Bangdoll sculpted on the head, etc etc...

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:42 pm

The Bang Doll is my #1 purchase right now.
There is no way in hell I could afford this kit, but I'd love to purchase a 1/100.
How many diferent kits are there ?
All the 1/100 kits I've seen at HLJ and Hobbyfan look very similar (from the crappy photos at least!).
Which version would you recommend ?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:09 pm

Here's the Bang I prefer, Volks MM Bang Doll http://knightclub.cool.ne.jp/knight/bang/bang.html . A square shield version was also made http://www.toyspress.co.jp/volks/fss/bangdo100/01.html .

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:57 pm

cobywan wrote:Haw about giving the 1/144th scale Atoll Scritti the hydrospan treatment.

I was actually contemplating doing that, but with another MH model: hydrospan it up, and then enhance & add extra detail. A 1/144 model enlarged to 160% would make a very nice size 1/100.
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:56 pm

Like Coby, I'd love to see Scritti enlarged. It's an awesome, unique design, the 1/144 kit is superb... I'd kill for a 1/100 version. :(

John F. Moscato wrote:
cobywan wrote:Haw about giving the 1/144th scale Atoll Scritti the hydrospan treatment.

I was actually contemplating doing that, but with another MH model: hydrospan it up, and then enhance & add extra detail. A 1/144 model enlarged to 160% would make a very nice size 1/100.

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:05 pm

Mmmm... there's tons of Bang Doll kits out there.

Just in 1/100, there's the old fixed pose AF series Bang Doll from Volks, the poseable Volks MM Bang Doll (which comes in both square shield and round shield versions), the WSC Bang Doll, and the G system 'refined' Bang Doll. G sys bang doll changes some aspects of the WSC kit (larger shield, thickening some areas which are deemed too thin on the original), but I've also noticed that G sys bang doll does not have the crisp detail of the original WSC kit. There's also the Wave Bang Doll, which is a poseable kit like the Volks MM. Wave version is pretty cool, with a nice large shield, metal parts for many things (like the tails)... some don't like it because it's a somewhat stocky looking Bang Doll, compared to the rather slim Volks. As always, WSC should be the tallest of all the kits. Another thing to note... Volks is the ONLY company that offers the square shield kit.

I've actually got an original Wave, original WSC, and original Volks MM Square Shield (and recast round shield version), so I've had time to look them all over. I have to say there's different things I like about each one, none of them is 'perfect'. Volks MM may be closest to my ideal, but it can't get full marks just because it's rather on the smaller side. Unlike WSC and newer Volks stuff.

This is a good time for Bang Doll buying in fact: HLJ has stock of Wave original, WSC original, and the Volks MM original.

For those on a budget: I am now in a position to sell my old recast WSC Bang Doll (since I just replaced it with an original). It's rather unique though, in that the parts are a combination of G sys refine parts and parts from another recast I had a while back. I kept some of the new parts (like the bigger shield) and kept some of the older parts for their sharper detail. If anyone is interested in a better description/photos, and may be curious about buying for a low price, please let me know.
Hydra Mirage wrote:The Bang Doll is my #1 purchase right now.
There is no way in hell I could afford this kit, but I'd love to purchase a 1/100.
How many diferent kits are there ?
All the 1/100 kits I've seen at HLJ and Hobbyfan look very similar (from the crappy photos at least!).
Which version would you recommend ?

Vincent Valentine

Post by Vincent Valentine » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:08 pm

I find this kit horrendously ugly. The redeeming points come from the light up energy sabre.. but really..

Very smart deduction, John. I personally would have chalked it up to modelling prowess rather than the product Hydraspan. Maybe I should give this product a whirl.

I asked in my email: but is this material rather gelatinous in its expanded state?