WSC A-Toll!

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Post Reply
User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:02 pm

I always thought model Graphix do better in covering FSS than other magazines :D .

cobywan
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:20 am
Contact:

Post by cobywan » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:32 am

Happy Hopping wrote:
cobywan wrote:Yes, yes. I can't recommend that kit strongly enough.
The SSS ver. is the most natural pose that matches to the manga.

The WSC ver. is stiff (remember OBC did it) at its pose.

So the spirit of the Terror is best expressed by the SSS ver.

No doubt the details of WSC is good and the kit is bigger. But there are different ht. and size of all the so-called 1/100 thru out the yr. anyway.
The kit is optionally posable. The pose in the photos are just what the builders chose.

WSC's Junchoon is super awesome too.

User avatar
happy hopping
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:29 am

Post by happy hopping » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:46 am

Can it duplicate the pose from the manga "naturally"?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

cobywan
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:20 am
Contact:

Post by cobywan » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:04 pm

What the heck do you mean by naturally? That's not a modeling term I am familiar with.

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:16 pm

I suppose by 'naturally', he means 'can the WSC adopt the SSS pose and still look fluid and dynamic, rather than stiff and contrived'. That's my interpretation anyway.

For me, the SSS sculpt has a certain pose and proportion that just makes it look really good in that pose. WSC can do a similar pose with optional parts, but to me it never looks quite as nice as the SSS pose. I suppose someone could modify the WSC a little bit to match the pose better though. Of course, for me, WSC really wins out for size and detail reasons.
cobywan wrote:What the heck do you mean by naturally? That's not a modeling term I am familiar with.

John F. Moscato
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:24 am

Post by John F. Moscato » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:26 pm

...And let's not forget that MHs have very complex hinges & joints that are many times molded together on a kit for simplicity's sake, so in that respect, yes, the WSC model may have to be tinkered-with to give it a slightly more natural look. Despite that, it just has so much more potential than the Volks offering.

Even though Ikushima-san says his models (and Yamagishi's) are free-pose, I seem to think that they were essentially sculpted with a normal, standing pose in mind, and that the "free pose" simply allows the modeler a bit of leeway to tune the pose in the final phase of assembly.
John F. Moscato

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:34 pm

Overall, I reckon WSC is best suited to a handsome and formal pose. If I'm keenly interested in the 'holding out weapons' pose, I'd grab a SSS. I grabbed a recast SSS a while back, I'm eager to build it after I get a few other things done. I also recently aquired an original WSC terror, so I now have a recast WSC terror to sell if anyone is interested...

I would agree that the term 'free-pose' for WSC kits is a little misleading. In practical terms, it can be very hard to create a nice dynamic pose, simply because some things are either hard, or impossible to change. Like twisting or bending the waist to a great extent, or drastically altering the positioning of the head/neck. It can be done though, I've seen people do it. By the way, I'm sure you've seen the WSC Clouds Schatze, which in fact has optional parts (like terror) to create an alternate pose. One pose is the normal standing pose, but it can also adopt a sort of 'firing buster' pose.

John F. Moscato wrote:...And let's not forget that MHs have very complex hinges & joints that are many times molded together on a kit for simplicity's sake, so in that respect, yes, the WSC model may have to be tinkered-with to give it a slightly more natural look. Despite that, it just has so much more potential than the Volks offering.

Even though Ikushima-san says his models (and Yamagishi's) are free-pose, I seem to think that they were essentially sculpted with a normal, standing pose in mind, and that the "free pose" simply allows the modeler a bit of leeway to tune the pose in the final phase of assembly.

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:07 am

WSC SR3 could do similar firing pose seen on Clouds Schatzt Type-II as well. It is made possible with the way the part is sculpted and the addition of another small part. Still, I don't like the idea of this. With the same part sculpted to pose in different ways, by making it possible to bend the knee into a firing pose, it makes it harder to make it stand straight up without having to do extra pinning work or perhaps modify the connecting point of the part(s).

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:00 pm

I do sort of like the firing pose for Clouds Schatze. Problem is, this pose requires an extra support in the back. And I HATE having ugly support rods in sight....

When I first started building a recast WSC Clouds Schatze many years back, I started to do it in firing pose. When I realized it wouldn't stand without support, I decided to rebuild it into the regular standing pose. Which I actually don't mind, since the standing pose shows off the rather impressive height of this kit. :)

I really didn't know WSC Sr3 had those optional parts... I guess I never studied the manual for mine very closely.

Sheizzel wrote:WSC SR3 could do similar firing pose seen on Clouds Schatzt Type-II as well. It is made possible with the way the part is sculpted and the addition of another small part. Still, I don't like the idea of this. With the same part sculpted to pose in different ways, by making it possible to bend the knee into a firing pose, it makes it harder to make it stand straight up without having to do extra pinning work or perhaps modify the connecting point of the part(s).

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:11 am

I noticed HLJ has WSC A-Toll listed as in stock. KOG, will yours be shipping soon?

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:20 am

Well, mine is being processed for shipping :D

You're not getting one, Sheizzel?

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:23 am

elemental wrote:Well, mine is being processed for shipping :D

You're not getting one, Sheizzel?
Nope, I'm afraid not, at least not now :cry: . I just paid off the rest of the bill for 1/48 Hi-Nu Gundam today so that's oneof the reason why no original FSS kit for me...

Have fun with yours, be sure to post your thoughts on this kit when you get it :D .

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:56 am

Sure, if someone else doesn't beat me to it. I don't expect to get this kit before new year (SAL shipping).

User avatar
happy hopping
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:29 am

Post by happy hopping » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:10 am

cobywan wrote:What the heck do you mean by naturally? That's not a modeling term I am familiar with.
exactly what KOG said. I also agree w/ KOG that for details and size, WSC is the best.

So in the end, there isn't a clear winner btwn. all 4 terror.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:50 pm

My A Toll order is in processing right now. Hopefully it would ship out soon, there may or may not be some sort of payment issue to resolve with my card first though...

Sheizzel wrote:I noticed HLJ has WSC A-Toll listed as in stock. KOG, will yours be shipping soon?

Post Reply