literary comparison

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

FSS is totally emo

literary comparison

Post by FSS is totally emo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:49 pm

does anyone see any parallels between FSS and frank herbert's dune novels?
both feature:
>a future that has degenerated into kingdoms and various powers vying for control
>a person who is a sort of messiah and leads the universe into a new age
>fighting with swords and knives despite great technology
>a big ass thousand year epic scope
>the eventual self-destruction of a mighty empire

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:09 am

Of course, its very obvious.

From the "Water of Life" that the dragons excrete (Like the Worms of Dune) to the Uber-twins, Magdall and Depre (being similar to the Atreides twins) there are many, many parallels with Dune. There is also quite a bit of inspiration from Star Wars, but this was early on and Dune seemed to be a bigger influence in the 90's, though as time has gone on, FSS has taken on a life of its own, and is entirely its own entitly now...though the influences can still be seen if one is paying close attention.
Shinei!

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:38 am

most if not all great stories (and Religions) have the same story elements you just mentioned,

-kingdoms vying for power
-heroic messiah
-swordfighting, (well fighting at least...)
-epic in scale
-ending in the defeat of some seemingly undefeatable empire

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:45 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Of course, its very obvious.

From the "Water of Life" that the dragons excrete (Like the Worms of Dune) to the Uber-twins, Magdall and Depre (being similar to the Atreides twins) there are many, many parallels with Dune. There is also quite a bit of inspiration from Star Wars, but this was early on and Dune seemed to be a bigger influence in the 90's, though as time has gone on, FSS has taken on a life of its own, and is entirely its own entitly now...though the influences can still be seen if one is paying close attention.
good points, also, could the dragons be seen similar to the worms? they not only make the water of life, they also defend their land and prevent anyone from settling on it- also they seem to take the side of righteousness (destroying the Mejojo ship, etc)

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:39 am

How about Starwars?
This might be too obvious. heh

"Knights" fighting with "Light Sabers"

Deflecting laser and other projectiles with the blades.

Knight abilities are genetically passed down.

Small hovercraft transportation to gargantuan space cruisers.

Nations uniting against a powerful tyrannical Empire.

Hovering free City. (Izumo Astro city vs that round city on a stick Lando comes from)

etc etc

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:36 pm

actually, i believe Nagano has mentioned before the influence of Dune. that was way back in Model Graphix Special. correct me if i am wrong.

wps

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:02 am

hitori wrote:How about Starwars?
This might be too obvious. heh

"Knights" fighting with "Light Sabers"

Deflecting laser and other projectiles with the blades.

Knight abilities are genetically passed down.

Small hovercraft transportation to gargantuan space cruisers.

Nations uniting against a powerful tyrannical Empire.

Hovering free City. (Izumo Astro city vs that round city on a stick Lando comes from)

etc etc
well star wars itself is based on The hidden Fortress, a film by Akira kurosawa (vader is the shogun more or less- right down to his quasi-samurai suit)

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:16 am

I love Kurosawa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSP

Post by TSP » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:06 am

etc etc[/quote]

well star wars itself is based on The hidden Fortress, a film by Akira kurosawa (vader is the shogun more or less- right down to his quasi-samurai suit)[/quote]

I would say that Starwars is generally based upon Edward elmar smiths Lensmen .

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:36 am

TSP wrote:

Lucas has sighted many sources as inspiration for Star Wars, including Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress" and a goodly number of pulp science fiction epics from his (Lucas) childhood, of which Lensman is a part I'm sure (along with the classics such as Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon, etc)

However, its obvious that asian culture had was a significant influence on his initial idea of the Jedi from their fighting style (Kenjutsu) to their monastic lifestyle (very Shaolin)

With FSS, we've come full circle to Nagano being inspired by Lucas, considering that his FSS Headdliners are a cross between Lucas' Jedi and Sardakur or Feydakin (with Wyrding way) from Dune.
Shinei!

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:58 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:
TSP wrote:

Lucas has sighted many sources as inspiration for Star Wars, including Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress" and a goodly number of pulp science fiction epics from his (Lucas) childhood, of which Lensman is a part I'm sure (along with the classics such as Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon, etc)

However, its obvious that asian culture had was a significant influence on his initial idea of the Jedi from their fighting style (Kenjutsu) to their monastic lifestyle (very Shaolin)

With FSS, we've come full circle to Nagano being inspired by Lucas, considering that his FSS Headdliners are a cross between Lucas' Jedi and Sardakur or Feydakin (with Wyrding way) from Dune.
also the Diver Guild has a similair feel to the Bene Gesserit and Spacing Guild- secretly pulling strings in the background.
heh, your comment brought to mind something chuck klosterman wrote about the jedi training- "its a major in physical education with a minor in eastern philosophy"

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:35 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:
TSP wrote:

You know the background level of technology in the Star Wars universe has everything needed for the Jedi to make giant robots to fight from...
just a thought...