MH question

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

FSS is totally emo

MH question

Post by FSS is totally emo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:51 pm

i know that MH have an organic "core", but what exactly is totally organic in the MH, as it seems, from just physical appearance, they look all mechanical- covered in S-Mines and with heavy armor and cables and such. an internal diagram would help

........also, totally unrelated, what is the name/type of the MH that acccompanies Maiyu Sukat in the attack on the rebels (the one that gets hit by the schelptor first)

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:07 am

There is nothing on a MH that is "organic". This was miscontrued from pictures of internal MH parts that look organic, but are actually mechanical in nature. Later translations of printed material cleared this matter up entirely.

The only thing on a MH that might be considered even slightly "organic" is the Neo-chitin armor...since the natural armor of many animals is called "chitin". However, I believe that is fully artificial as well...
Shinei!

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:46 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:There is nothing on a MH that is "organic". This was miscontrued from pictures of internal MH parts that look organic, but are actually mechanical in nature. Later translations of printed material cleared this matter up entirely.

The only thing on a MH that might be considered even slightly "organic" is the Neo-chitin armor...since the natural armor of many animals is called "chitin". However, I believe that is fully artificial as well...
thanks man, but ah, do you know the name of that MH?
it looks pretty sweet (not as sweet as the Zakker though!)

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:31 am

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:23 pm

Thanks for the scan, Hitori. That's actually in regards to the eslazer engine though, if I'm not misataken.

But this still leaves me with a linguering question: in book II (japanese), does Clotho not tell Colus VI that a MH is a lot like a child in battle, that it can be unpredictable? And then, in book III (japanese), after Colus is attacked by Vralgo and killed, the Junchoon speaks to Clotho, asking her to save them, so I'm assuming that even if MHs are "machines", that they still posess some sort of conciousness and/or personnality?
John F. Moscato

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:04 pm

They certainly communicate with Fatimas.
Some even talk directly in words, like Jagd did to Parthenon when Shaft died.

Not only do they talk, they act on their will, too.
KoG lent his sword to Junchoon, Neptune protected Christine, etc.

I don't think these phenomenon were explained anywhere.
But these don't make them physically organic.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:23 pm

The true nature of mortar headds has interested me for some time. I'm guessing the Super Empire had the technology to produce self-aware artificial intelligence. I'm also guessing that that technology survived in some form and was passed down or rediscovered in the JC era.

As far as I know, only the higher grade mortar headds have displayed these characteristics. I'm not aware of lower grade mortar headds being anything more than mindless machines.

It sure would be cool if Nagano elaborated on this in book 12 or 13.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:56 pm

What about Apatchi (Braford) and Devoncha (Lester) ?

Both MH were mass production models yet they directly communicated with Kyo and Palsuet...

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:04 pm

Hmmm. It would be interesting if Nagano covered more of MH evolution.
Since the whole story is about the evolution of mankind and his progeny (fatima and headdliners).
Isn't the MH also a child of man ?
Especially MH's with the Etriml (I guess this is/will be the organic organ of the MH)
Last edited by Hydra Mirage on Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:01 am

hitori wrote:What about Apatchi (Braford) and Devoncha (Lester) ?

Both MH were mass production models yet they directly communicated with Kyo and Palsuet...
i always thought lester's MH was called Pluto

hitori

Post by hitori » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:12 am

FSS is totally emo wrote:i always thought lester's MH was called Pluto
Very good! :D

Pluto's the name.
Devonsha is the model.

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:18 am

awesome, thanks for clearing all this up for me as i am not as well-versed in MHeadd-osity as you guys.
Devonsha is sometimes called Devonshire right? cuz my friend has an artbook that has a Devonshire MH in it.

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:55 pm

When and if we get molecular assembly techniques (ie Nanotech) functional for macro scale assembly like this, the end result might very well look just like that if you don't do finishing machine work afterword.

There just isn't a reason for things assembled at the molecular level to have right angles. Just like there are very few plants or insects or people with sharp angles in their construction.

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:23 pm

They just have really good computer systems, with a limited level of AI, and some sort of learning software. At least that is my take on it. Since the Fatimas communicate directly with them mind to computer they have a lot they can learn from very quickly.

And I would also suggest that, just like a run of the mill fatima like Palsuet can become quite good if she lives long enough, a run of the mill MH that survives long enough (or at least its computer does, like with the Apache's data being transferred to the Terror Mirage) can become much more powerful than its basic design would suggest. Also since MHs are computers they have a ability to transmit data laterally that humans dont really have, and Fatimas might not either. That is that the "experience" of one MH in a fleet can be copied over to a entire fleet of new machines without them actually having to repeat the combat expeirence (which is what the three LED's were doing on Juno, and what the Ashura Temple was doing in its Kastemp rampage). And, MH's may also benefit from working with multiple Fatimas over their carreers, they might be able to learn from the Fatima's past experience carried in her head (fatimas may benifit from this also, again re Paluset, Harper, Concord, massed produced or "no name" fatimas that none the less became exceptional simply by going through a lot of combat and having the good luck to survive it).

The theme seems to be that information- data, experience- is as or more valuable in the Joker world than sheer mechanical superiority. The duel between Auge and Apache being the illustrative case. Auge had never been in combat, and had been in storage so long it had never had data transferred from other MHs. Atropos had never operated a MH as a headliner- and had only once even fought as a fatima (in Schpeltor with Kaine). They lost to Kyo/Bradford/Apache because those three knew what they were doing.

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:01 am

Tomexe wrote:

Harper, Concord, massed produced or "no name" fatimas that none the less became exceptional simply by going through a lot of combat and having the good luck to survive it).

i might be wrong, but i though harper was actually intercity?