Paint brush or airbrush?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

WayS'Lo'

Paint brush or airbrush?

Post by WayS'Lo' » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:16 am

Just want some of the more experianced people's opinions, what is the better medium for painting resin kits? Outside of te usual 'air for large areas, traditional for details' arguement is it recomended to use an airbrush? I ask this cause ive alwasy been fine ( or so i say...) with just a normal brush but now im seriously considering getting an air brush. Is it worth it? What i really do not like on the traditional brush is streaks left when paint dries, its really hard to make them vanish with a normal paintbrush and airs dont have this problem at all.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:35 am

I personally prefer airbrush because I can't hand paint even if my life depended on it :P . I guess I just need more practice. I'm nowhere near an experienced painter so my opinion really don't mean anything in this discussion. Some people prefers hand painting and do a fine job of it, I personally like airbrush better because of various ways of using it. Using clear paints and various painting techniques such as shading which can be done easier and better with an airbrush.

As for those streaks of brush marks, you might want to thin the paint a bit more or even add a few drops of retarder mild. Stroke marks left by a paint brush is caused by the paint drying too quickly. Retarder mild is apply in a small amount to slow down the drying time when you paint. It works really good when working with lacquer based paints.

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:41 am

I used to use acrylics whihc i thined with water. While that reduced the streaks probelm a little watery acryl tends to bubble quite a bit :?
I use enamal for my plastic kits now so i dont have streak problesm except with gloss paints and red and white mat, but using enamals on resins probably isnt a good idea and using them on vinyl is probably even worse. Ive heard (and seen) the greatness of an airbrush i just dont have a clue how to use one. What sort of size nozzals would i need for mecha and figure work?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:59 am

I personally don't use much of Acrylic or Enamel, instead I use Mr.Color Lacquer. KOG uses enamel to paint his MHs and it came out pretty good http://kog.gq.nu/photo.html .

As for glossy or flat paints, there are flat base that you can buy to add to the paint to make it flat. I thought I've read somewhere that it only works for airbrushing.

Maybe others who are better with an airbrush can suggest you on what types to get. I don't think you'll have to worry about the size nozzle as much since an airbrush usually allows you to adjust the size of the spray from wide to fine.

Here's what I sprayed with my Tamiya airbrush. It was one of the first few times I've ever tried to airbrush. I'm pretty happy with the result, now I just need to paint the rest of the kit :wink: . You can check out Tamiya's airbrushes http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/catego ... b-id=57000 .

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:45 am

As someone who has never used an airbrush, let me just say that I think the best painters are skilled in both methods. A perfectly smooth airbrush job is not much use when you are crap at detailing. 8)

If you want to experiment with airbrushing, go for it (cost aside). The more skills you have as a painter, the better.

Tip for hand brushing acrylics: use Folk Art brand Extender (or similar). It is basically a retarder for acrylics, and it is the Water of Life of acrylic hand painting, virtually eliminating brush marks. I used it when doing my Prominence and Engage SR1. Obviously a decent sized brush for large areas such as mecha armour is important too.

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:03 am

Can Enamels damage resin kits ?

Also I've heard spraycan transparent gloss is a great final coat for a smooth result ?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:39 am

Hydra Mirage wrote:Can Enamels damage resin kits ?

Also I've heard spraycan transparent gloss is a great final coat for a smooth result ?
Enamel won't damage resin kits.

The final coat you're talking about must be sealer. There are flat, semi gloss and gloss to choose from for protecting the finished surface of a kit.

As for hand paint or airbrushing, it's definitely better to be good at both. I certainly don't see myself just spraying away in finishing a kit.

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:14 pm

hi Sheizzel,

i have bad experience with lacquer when i was air-brushing Empress Flame. after numerous trials, i finally decided black base coat will let the red paint look best on EF. so, i sprayed one layer of black lacquer on the torso, no problem. dried for two weeks... then when i try to cover the torso with red lacquer paint, it melted the black paints! instead of a smooth surface, it all get muddied!!! :( maybe the thinner i use is too much??? hmmm...

i have been stuck there ever since, sigh. i will probably strip the paint and just use brush instead when i get back to it.

wps

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:59 pm

Hi Junchoon.

Sounds more like you had a paint incompatibility issue to me. Lacquers over lacquers shouldn't pose any problems whatsoever... Might you have used two different brands? If anything, just remember the following formula:

acrylics over enamels = good
enamels over lacquers = good
acrylics over lacquers = good

enamels over acrylics = bad
lacquers over acrylics = bad
lacquers over enamels = bad

As for brush/hand-painting, it's definitely an asset for small details or when a certain "character" is wanted as a finish; spray/airbrush are better suited for uniform color applications, or very smooth color gradations over a large area. For brush-painting, I was told that Vallejo paints from europe, which are used to paint figurines are excellent. They're supposed to be acrylics that are of infinitely better quality than Tamiya.
John F. Moscato

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:10 pm

Hi junchoon,

Hmmm...I've never had that happened to me. Sometime the problem I have with an airbrush is that it shoots up webs which is caused by not thinning the paint enough. Maybe the red you applied was too watery or being sprayed too close of a distance? Do you have a picture of the parts you've sprayed?

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:21 am

I currently hand brush only, with Acrylics

A little bit of water on the brush is my way to get rid of paint strokes, though... Works best with Flats, and I'm still learning how to hand paint gloss

I only use one kind of bush though, it's the pointed ones Testors makes... I love em (Er well, any kinda pointed brush and I'm happy... )