How to?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

bkito

How to?

Post by bkito » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:16 pm

Hey I just got here! I see some people from Wax Trax I recognize though!

Anyway, I was wanting to put together for myself a list of links to websites with tutorials and 'how-to's on resin kit modeling. I had some good pages bookmarked at one time, but have crashed a hard drive since then and lost them :(

I love the FSS kits and have bought a few, but am too big of a wuss to assemble and paint them. I'm really scared to mess something up and want to have as much info on assembly and especially painting as possible! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched on the forums but came up with nothing. Perhaps if someone has some good links for this info it would make a good sticky on one of the modeling posts here on Gearsonline?

Bkito

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:44 pm

http://s89202096.onlinehome.us/index.htm

Here's a link to Vincent's site, he started a tutorial, but I think what he has is plenty to get a start....

Hope it helps you out some ^__^

elemental

Re: How to?

Post by elemental » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:44 am

bkito wrote:I love the FSS kits and have bought a few, but am too big of a wuss to assemble and paint them.
I have no idea how much modelling experience you have, so it is hard to give you specific advice. I just wanted to comment on the being-scared-of-resin thing. Don't be 8)

Resin is fun to work with (much better than nasty plastic) and you really really really have to try hard to screw up a resin kit. With pins, putty, glue and patience you can repair most stuff-ups. :) With acetone you can completely strip off paint and start afresh (just don't soak parts too long).

Practice on a recast if originals are a bit too daunting. Just so long as you dive in and make something. Then you will probably find there is no looking back.

bkito

Post by bkito » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:50 pm

Thanks for the link and positive words. I guess I should have mentioned my experience level.
I've worked with plastic a LOT and even some metals from the tabletop (warhammer) genre. Assembly I think I can handle, sanding and painting... that's where the fear is! So far my kits are recasts and G-System, so not much that was TOO expensive. Still I'm excited and will probably start serious work on a kit soon.
Thanks again for the help guys!

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:20 am

Sounds like you have a good grounding in modelling and painting. I think you will surprise yourself with how easy you will find working with resin.