Who would you want to see have another crack at a FSS movie?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:03 pm

Me?

I love the movie. I saw it before I started heavily reading the manga (or rather, following it heavily) and it remains one of my favorite anime tittles to this day. The Scene with the Mirage Knights defending Ballanche's estate is still one of the most visually impressive scenes I've witnessed in animation.

However, there is no denying that the director "dropped the ball" on it. He decided he wanted to concentrate on the "love story" between Amaterasu and Lachesis rather than the actual theme of "Persecuted Minority group" (i.e. Fatimas) which is what helped propell FSS to the cult status it enjoys today. Sure, the love story is there, but it is an ongoing love story, one that is not to be resolved for quite some time. Other themes take center stage as the story develops, from themes of Anti-war, to Loyalty, to pide and predjudice, to the nature of divinity. Its far more complex than the director implied in his vision of it.

Personally I have 2 complaints with the FSS movie. When I originally saw it, I didn't know of these flaws, but now that I do, they are glaring, obvious and unforgivable.

The first and most personally insulting to me is the omission of F.U. Rognar. Sure, Rognar only had a couple of breif scenes and until the very end of the episode, you didn't know who he was, but that was the point. Rognar was there, beside Amaterasu the entire time protecting him. Nagano did this to show Rognar's loyalty to Amaterasu, and his removal from the film is inexcusable.

The second and IMO, the most important scene missing is the Prologue from Volume 1. The final pass in the duel between Karel Crytharis and Grard Sydmian introduced the readers to A) The Mortar Headds, B) The Knights and system of Chivalry to which they adhere and C) The role of the Fatimas. Without this, one is thrown into FSS without knowing the signifigance of these wispy fae-like women...why is this debut so important and why are all these people so mad when Sop takes Lachesis? Because fatima are needed to pilot those super-powerful Mortar Headds, thats why! Without that the prologue done correctly, a newbie to FSS will completely miss this until the very end when the KOG makes its appearance.

:(

I find that knowing these things now slightly spoils my viewings of the FSS movie. Because I love the movie so much, I still pop it in my DVD player from time to time, but I can't help but shake my head that not only do they leave the 5th Black Knight alive at the begnning of their "Prologue" but they fail to let viewers know that Decors Weissmel survives the fight with the KOG.

I would love to see a re-make. I'd love to see the entire series done justice at some point in the near-future. Lets hope it happens...and when it does, lets hope its done right.
Shinei!

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:16 pm

I completely forgot about the intro and yeh ure right that is pretty bad. But i swear the black knight from the intro was roadoas and not grard? might have to rewatch. I seriously doubt the whole thing would reach animation. The way its set out time jumping and all, would confuse the hell out of people and like said somewhere above, the first one was a flop anyway, as it would be difficult to make something that complex a.) understandable, b.) flowing and c.) not deviate too much from Nagano's vision. c.) probably being the most important one there.

edit: im gonna have to contradict myself here (unfortunately) as while i said above that missing out the intro is pretty bad, and it is, it *does* imo allow the movie to flow a little better, and the basis of the future was covered at the end of the film ( quite well i have to say) that the manga doesnt do. I also kind of disagree with what the theme of the first story was, in my mind it will always be predominantly a love story.

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:18 am

Talking about the FSS movie, I should buy the official DVD sometime...
Only have it in the pirated Chinese bootleg. :?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:17 am

hitori wrote:Talking about the FSS movie, I should buy the official DVD sometime...
Only have it in the pirated Chinese bootleg. :?
Thats what I have. The visual quality is very poor. Reminds me of my old 4th or 5th generation videotape. I'd also like to get the official version at some point in the near future.
Shinei!

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:48 pm

Yeah same here... I have the DVD rip as well ( before i realised it was actually released) but it would be nice to get the DVD. Shame they went with the cover for vol 1 (Jap) and not the original movie artwork. I really like the original movie artwork.

FSS is totally emo

Post by FSS is totally emo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:42 pm

live action for me is dodgy, if it was designed to be images, then make it images. i think do it digitally for fluidity and cool effects, but make it not-3d rendered models for the mecha (like the Second Rennaissance from the Animatrix or Program). but make it REALLY freakin' awesome digital animation, alot of beatiful images and moving sequences.
it would be cool to do a film based entirely on the black knights, tracing them from Roadoss to Decors to Grard.

bkito

Post by bkito » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:22 am

Falk wrote:(one of my stupid/fan wish is to have enough money to spend it in a custom made jacket wih some FEMC stuff on it :þ
Sorry for the late comment... one of my 'stupid/fan' wishes is the exact same thing! I wonder what would be worse though? People constantly asking you what it means, or people who assume they know? I could see the symbollogy being taken wrong viewed with suspicion by some people. What kind of jacket did you have in mind, Falk?

BK

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:17 pm

I used to have an entire Mirage Knight uniform, including the skull mask....

The skull mask is gone, but the outfit itself might still be in storage.
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:14 pm

Hey hey Nu Soard, I think we're talking more about a jacket for everyday life^^ (well people may look stragely at you if you take the bus with an FEMC cloak and mask^^).
bkito wrote:What kind of jacket did you have in mind, Falk?
Cool to see we share the same stupid/fan wish ! lol
How I see it exactly ? Mmh, in fact I have a lot of ideas, depending on the budget I may have one day to do this, I even have some idea for a girl jacket.

The most basic would be like this :

a semi-long coat, down to the knees, but not longer, so it still looks dynamic. I think it should be fitted as for some woman's clothes. Both the length and fitted-shape are there to "emulate" the thinner proportions of FSS characters, cuz' that's why it looks so great. As good as the coat may look, if you look like a cylinder in it it won't do it at all lol.
Just that contrary to most of FEMC coats, the one I want would be black, made of wool, well something like that (I'm not really a fan of leather, well maybe I don't know all the variety of leather, it may be great too, don't know), exept a large white stripe on the back, which would be made of leather (leather like for motorsport clothes), an FEMC Blood Cross incrusted in it (in red motorsport leather), and one thin red line on each side of the big white stripe.
A small embroided Blood cross on the shoulder would be good too.
I just added it, but a "monarch sacred" at the bottom and a Takeda clan logo on the collar would look great to (I think the Diamond logo is the one of the Takeda clan, a great army somewhere in Japan history).
I'm not sure about the front for now. I like the collar this way, but I'm not sure how it would look at the front, maybe like Vash The Stampede collar, but I don't really like the rectangular shape at the bottom of the front... Well I still have time to think about it before I can afford it ;).

A white coat would look cool, but maybe too much "wanker" (not sure it means what I want it to mean, maybe "poser" would be better), or to much "rap clip on MTV with white coats, champagne, big breasted girls and big wheeled cars" (I have nothing against rap, well it's not really my style of music, but I can't stand those clips, I don't see the point of it).

The red crenels also are a sort of trademark of FEMC clothes, and look awesome (to the point I'm now thinking of doing a WH40K army painted white with some red cross and crenels all over, the problem is that I have half a Dark Angel army already painted...) but it may be damn hard to do it in reality for it to look really cool (can you imagine the couturier doing it by hand ? Crenel after crenel ? Whether it's sewed or embroided ? THat would cost A LOT).

About the symbollogy yup', not sure neither :|
Moreover in France, there's FLNC (corsica liberation national front), FN (national front, extrem right-wing party >_<), FNJ (same, but more specifically for young people I think, I'm really not aware of it all), well as you can see several national fronts *~* (and their batch of shity ideas). (there's also FLNJ, "front de libération des nains de jardin" for "garden dwarfs liberation front", but this one's a joke^^)
So maybe FEMC would sound as some nationalist thing if it's emboided on the coat (FEMC/FLNC sound not much different), moreover associated with black, white, and red...

But oh well, as long as people take the time to ask you what it's exactly about before throwing stones at your face, it's ok. Just time for you to calm things down by telling them it just comes from a manga, in which an Emperor goes nuts and declares war to everybody lol lol lol

(mmh... Are we going off topic there ? :p)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:26 am

That is a nice coat design. If you ever get one made let me know the price so I can consider ordering one. 8)
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

bkito

Post by bkito » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:10 am

Well I'm not sure what my idea for a jacket was, but I like yours better! I will however say that I've never been a fan of the 'long' jacket. If you cut it off at the waist it would be fine with me :) I have a friend who does leatherworking and makes clothes for renaisance festivals... I wonder if he could throw something together???

Also Falk, good to know I'm not the only one who has some 40K minis around here. I have too many and sadly I'm not very good at the game anyway!

BK

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:02 pm

Falk wrote:Hey hey Nu Soard, I think we're talking more about a jacket for everyday life^^ (well people may look stragely at you if you take the bus with an FEMC cloak and mask^^).

Oh, I realise that. I too would like a Jacket with the Mirage logo. The one you have designed there looks pretty cool.
Shinei!