Old Wave PLastic KOG?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

WayS'Lo'

Old Wave PLastic KOG?

Post by WayS'Lo' » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:30 pm

Was browsing factorys just now ( cant remmeber why) and i came across an old entry for an old IP Wave Kog. Does anyone have any other pics of this MH other than the one on the site? From the small pic it actually looks quite similar to the GGI one. Could be the reason that it was not reissued with the others was that Volks has bought the tooling for it?

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:59 am

If you're refering to the "old" Wave 1/100 plastic kit, it was a sister release to the LED Mirage; both were about Y13000 in the day. Quality of that model is about the same as the LED, which is to say, not great. I believe that a few little parts on it were white metal and vinyl (buster launcher.) The Volks GGI is a more recent, completely new tool, and is much better than the old Wave kit.
John F. Moscato

sarion

Post by sarion » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:30 pm

John F. Moscato wrote:If you're refering to the "old" Wave 1/100 plastic kit, it was a sister release to the LED Mirage; both were about Y13000 in the day. Quality of that model is about the same as the LED, which is to say, not great. I believe that a few little parts on it were white metal and vinyl (buster launcher.) The Volks GGI is a more recent, completely new tool, and is much better than the old Wave kit.
that would hav been so old tat even HJ FSS special edition doesn't show it :P

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:45 pm

Actually, that kit was reviewed in the July '88 issue of Hobby Japan; the very first Mortar Headd Saga issue. I have it buried somewhere in my closet.

It was probably the best KOG kit at the time; better than Ikushima's (VOLKS) first crack at the KOG, and simply miles ahead of the Kaiyodo kit. It was the biggest of them too, even if the details were severely lacking. The one thing that really turned me off from buying it (other than the outrageous price from NEWTYPE hobbies) was that a lot of the details that should've been scribed, like the detail on the top of the head was done as a decal.
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:08 pm

I really don't like the old 1/100 Wave plastic KOG. Like John said, a lot of the detail was lazily done with decals. Not unlike the 1/144 Wave plastic KOG in some ways...

But yeah, the ENTIRE top of the head was done as a decal. Bleah. Volks GGI is way way better. GGI is all sculpted detail, no decals...

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:49 pm

Woah, the entire top head was a transefer!! The pic didnt show that... :? Hell, even the 1/144 kog has the top head details sculpted on (with that nice seam running straight down the middle... ah well live and learn). The proportions still look similar to me unlike the wave 1/144 which is pretty slim.