Mektron newb/FSS stuff

by R. Talsorian

Moderator: kosh

Mektron newb/FSS stuff

Postby Poseidal » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:47 am

I just dug up a copy of the core book, and was wondering, is there any way of introducing the rules, as I find reading through a lot of text daunting, and I only really get systems when I use them or can visualise them in some way.

Also, I hear it FSS works well in the Hero system from reading around the forums; I think someone in my gaming group might have it, so I'd be interested to see what to do with it.

Also, I'm wondering if FSS could also be converted to the White Wolf system, probably by converting from Exalted, but I think that would require a major overhaul, although it's one of the systems I know somewhat better, as well as Alderac D10 and the D20 system.
Poseidal

Re: Mektron newb/FSS stuff

Postby Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Poseidal wrote:I just dug up a copy of the core book, and was wondering, is there any way of introducing the rules, as I find reading through a lot of text daunting, and I only really get systems when I use them or can visualise them in some way.

Also, I hear it FSS works well in the Hero system from reading around the forums; I think someone in my gaming group might have it, so I'd be interested to see what to do with it.

Also, I'm wondering if FSS could also be converted to the White Wolf system, probably by converting from Exalted, but I think that would require a major overhaul, although it's one of the systems I know somewhat better, as well as Alderac D10 and the D20 system.

Mekton is very easy to get into. All skill and combat resolution is done with D10. If you are familiar with RTG's Cyberpunk system, Mekton runs very similar to it, but there are some minor difference.

Basically the characters all have 10 stats: Body, Reflexes, Movement, Tech, Empathy, Cool, Intelligence, Attractiveness and Education. The Stats rank from 2-10. All beginning characters gain a number of "character points" to distribute amongst these 10 attributes.

Skills are rated from 1-10. Skill rolls are resolved by adding a Characteristic to a skill, rolling 1D10 and adding the result. If the resultant number is equal to or higher than a specific target number, the skill roll has succeeded. A natural "1" is a critical failure, and you must roll the D10 again and subtract the number. A roll of "10" is a critical success, roll the D10 again and Add it to the total. Multiple rolls of 10 stack together, however multiple rolls of 1 do not.

Thats the basic system in a nutshell. Pretty easy to get into once you start playing and is very quick and intuitive. However, it is inadequate to simulate a lot of situations that come up in most RPG's. Thats why I like to use the HERO system.

The one problem with the Hero system is probably that you can do too much with it. Its so open ended, that many GM's and players find it daunting to work with. It was originally designed to simulate comic book Super Heroes, which means it is capable of handling just about any situation imaginable. It does a great job of this. And because Super Hero combat is so visually impressive, the Combat System in the game is similarily impressive.
See my other post in this section of the message board for more information on that system and how it stacks up for using Mecha.

Now, for FSS in White Wolf...an interesting though, but since WW doesn't have much for vehicles rules within it, it might be difficult to work out the Mortar Headds.

Unless, of course, you posses or can get ahold of the rare, hard-to-find game Trinity (formerly Aeon). Trinity uses a specialized version of the Storyteller system from white wolf, but its set in Space with a bunch of Psionic users and high technology. If you have access to this book, it should be a snap to adjust it to fit for FSS. I don't remember much about how they dealt with vehicles in the game, but I'm sure its easily adaptable. And the vast amount of Psychic powers would be quite useful for simulating Diver Powers! Good luck on that. If you come up with anything, let me know. Storyteller System is my 3rd favorite RPG system after HERO and Interlock (Mekton) and I wouldn't mind trying out FSS using that system and see how it works...
Shinei!
Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Return to Mekton Z