A Dilemma

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

levrin

A Dilemma

Post by levrin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:01 pm

So I have kits for Wave's 1/144 plastic LED Mirage Sarion and LED Mirage Ver3 (delightful translucent white plastic). Both kits are essentially Wave's original LED Mirage kit plus extra parts. Should I build them both in the intended manner, or combine the Sarion and Ver3 parts together into one unit and make a standard LED Mirage with the other kit?

edit: Interestingly, both kits have parts for the jagged skirt armor from the LED Mirage w/Flame Launcher image, even though the Ver3 machines in the unveiling scene from the manga have the smooth-edged skirt armor and the only distinguishing factor of Sarion's machine should be the head. The old skirt parts are on the runners as well but that's a permament choice, so I have to decide which set to use on each kit. Incidentally, does anyone have any opinions on whether the light gray parts should be painted flat gray or metallic silver?

levrin

Re: A Dilemma

Post by levrin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 am

In the end, I decided on colors by the traditional method of "What Gundam markers do I already have? I'll just use those."

The AKD cross on the shield suffers from the standard large-flat-decal-on-nonflat-surface issues, so maybe I'll get rid of it and paint it instead, but I don't think Gundam Red is heavy enough to cover up the translucence unless I go over a bunch of times. Luckily the shield claws have a strong enough friction fit that I don't have to glue them in place.
Attachments
led_mirage_veil_back.jpg
led_mirage_veil_back.jpg (138.13 KiB) Viewed 7888 times
led_mirage_veil_front.jpg
led_mirage_veil_front.jpg (176.81 KiB) Viewed 7888 times

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 am

Progress:
led_mirage_progress.jpg
led_mirage_progress.jpg (161.07 KiB) Viewed 7862 times
Test fitting the leg parts. There are decals for the red stripes on the legs that I'll have to put on before gluing all the leg bits together. There are also flame decals for the legs, but they might look out of place without a flame launcher to equip.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:42 am

Looking good. I'm interested in how you'll paint final details.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:56 am

I'm wondering whether I actually want to put numbers on it. The Sarion kit decals only have Roman numerals for #4, but the ver.3 has every number from #1 to #19, plus "A", #32, #3j, and #7j ("j" indicates Jagd support).

Vincent Valentine

Post by Vincent Valentine » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Hm. I'm really unsure of which to recommend! Perhaps a Sarion V3 would be a very interesting choice even though it does not exist (to my knowing). It will be unique. Ultimately, you should do with your model as would make you happiest.

Your silver seems too light; it's a bit splotchy in places. I don't think that you should use silver for the grey parts - having more contrast around then neck (for instance) gives the model a more serious feel along with depth.

The flame decals are fine by me, IMO! You can burst the bubbles of the Blood Cross by poking with a pin or a knife tip. I'd say that paint is very likely a better choice for such a large area. Keep it up!

I have always wanted to try and paint the under-sides of the LED kit as the V3 Volks kit just to see how things would turn out - to best use that delicious plastic.

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:11 am

Yeah, my Gundam Silver marker is actually running low. Need a new gray detail pen, too. Still happy the different categories of Gundam Marker don't act as solvents on each other.

Now that I think about it, has Nagano ever even shown a complete Sarion LED Mirage, or has it always just been the customized head? I wouldn't be surprised if Nagano changes his mind about Ikaruga's MH by the time it finally shows up in the story and ends up doing something entirely different, all things considered.

Vincent Valentine

Post by Vincent Valentine » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:37 pm

The only image that I have seen indeed is of just the head. You're right about Nagano's likely revisions. I'd love to see his revision of the SR-4 Junchoon.

Arcanum93

Post by Arcanum93 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi levrin.

With regards to your decal on the shield, you can always re-wet it and apply some decal softener to get it to conform to curves. The shield's curves are a piece of cake compared to some compound nightmares I've applied decals to. As for applying paint, reds and yellows are very transparent colors. If you want to maintain a solid look, best to undercoat it with a coat of light grey or silver, then white, then apply your red.

I'll echo Vincent's statements regarding silver: a darker color would work better to up the contrast with the armor. I've often contemplated using a base of gun metal with an overcoat of dark, smoky navy blue. Just throwing ideas at you.