PROJECT: Internal Structure of MH

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT: Internal Structure of MH

Post by Tachyon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:48 pm

I read all the caption translations. I only made a few minor changes and some spelling corrections. They read nicely. Great translation. I'm going to read through the main article text tonight.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 pm

I read the main article text (non-caption) in one sitting this morning.

Comments on Translation:
Great translation! It reads nicely and I only made a few spelling corrections.

Comments on Original:
This is a great article. Nagano put a lot of thought into this. He refers a few times to specific scenes in the manga and answers questions that many mecha fans would consider. His conception of mortar headds might be too close to human anatomy (a MH is, after all, a giant metal humanoid vehicle that only vaguely resembles the much smaller human body) but this is only an impression on my part. He brilliantly maneuvers away from the assumption most people make that giant robots must but together very much like the simple toy robots that we encounter. I was a bit sad to notice that no mention was made of how mortar headds are focal points of royal and national pride as well as artistic creations. In the world of 5 Star Stories, much time and money are put into making mortar headds look "beautiful" and "imposing" and showcasing the artistic tastes of wealthy rulers.

Proceeding:
What lies ahead in this project? After getting levrin's responses to my questions I'll look at how to lay out this article for online viewing. I think a link from the mortar headd page will take the site visitor to a new page just for this article (links will also be placed towards the top of List By Name and List By Nation pages). The article page will probably have the article's main text with small images that link to separate pages where a large diagram image can be viewed with caption text as true text that "floats" over the image. This should help with search engine placement, allowing more English-speaking FSS fans to find it. The small images that appear on the article's main page will not only be clickable but also have "click image for diagram" under them so no one misses them.

That should help all of us to be on the same page. If anyone has any comments or questions, just let me know.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 pm

That sounds great. I would like to see this project come to full fruition soon. I think once word got around it could spark discussion once again.

Something else I would like to see after this project is eventually getting ALL of the relevant Mortar Headd information translated and put on the website. Most especially the stuff that can only be found in the Newtype "cover pages" to the FSS Manga, much of which has never been re-printed anywhere with the exception of a few compilation/FSS anniversary issues. That would make Gears the definitive english website for MH afficianados. Not that there are that many of us left.
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:36 am

I'll answer the second set of questions before getting back to comparing the captions on Designs 2 p182/Smoke Walls p6
1) On page 183 of Designs 2, upper left image, the upper left caption reads:
"Input/Output Bypass"
The 8th page of the article in Smoke Walls has the same image but the upper left caption has more text. What is it saying? Something about 12 centimeters and 1 micron?
As mentioned in the accompanying article text, the outside diameter of the bypass is 12cm, but the inside diameter is only one micron.
2) Designs 2 page 185 is page 10 of Smoke Walls. There's some text in the lower left under [Control System Setup]. Was that translated?
Here you go:
Control System Setup
It is readily apparent how the knight's and fatima's cockpits sit upon the frame. You can see that quite some thought has been given to protection even for such hardy souls as knights and fatimas. From this state the individual sections will be built up with dynamos, condensors, extensive hydraulic cables and cylinders, backup propulsion motors, and support armor. The final armoring also includes bypasses in the armor and support structure for the power cylinders, so while technically the MH can move in this state, it can't be called proper articulation. As expected, final armoring is really necessary. Most importantly there's still no face on this MH.
3) Can we get a translation of page 186 of Designs 2? It isn't necessary to put the article online but it would sure be cool.
The emergency survival supplies? I'll get to it in a bit.
4) Designs 2 page 187/Smoke Walls page 12 - on the Smoke Walls page there's a paragraph in the bottom left corner. Was that translated?
Here:
This is the final form of the MH with equipment and internal armor in place. Also called "Primary Armored State", it is only awaiting main armor and armaments to be complete. For illustrative purposes the various categories have been colored differently; keep in mind the actual Siren internals are not necessarily these colors.
5) Was the article text on page 13 of the Smoke Walls article translated? There isn't much. It corresponds to the Phantom pictures.
Looks like background on the Phantom. Want it before or after the supplies translation?

levrin

Post by levrin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 am

Designs 2 p182/Smoke Walls p6 captions.
Identifying using the English labels in Smoke Walls:

Top right, unlabeled. Same as in Designs.
[Energy Bypass] Same as in Designs.
[Single Phase Power Cylinder] Same as in Designs.
[Return Bypass] Same text as label "V-shaped Power Cylinder" in Designs.
[Y-Power Cylinder] The power cylinder responsible for extending the forearm is split and linked on either side of the elbow to allow swinging movement.
[Wrist and Fingers] Same as in Designs.
[Main Shaft] Equivalent to a human's thigh bone. Incorporates data cables and an energy bypass inside.
[Knee Joint Party] Same as in Designs.
[Return Bypass] This bypass carries recovered energy from the legs to the engine via the hips and keel.
[X-Power Cylinder] Same as in Designs.
Bottom right, unlabeled. Same as in Designs.
Upper left, unlabeled. Moved to Designs 2 p185
[Repulsion Power Cylinder] Responsible for raising the leg forward, and is a reactive power cylinder for this purpose.
[Single Phase Power Cylinder] Same as in Designs.
[Two-Directional Power Cylinder] Same as in Designs.
[Knee Block] Moved to Designs 2 p185.
[V-Power Cylinder] Same as in Designs.
Lower left, unlabeled. Moved to Designs 2 p185.

I wonder if the names for the different types of power cylinders in my translation should be adjusted to match the English labels here?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:26 am

I'm sorry for my slow reply. This weekend my children kept me very busy.
As mentioned in the accompanying article text, the outside diameter of the bypass is 12cm, but the inside diameter is only one micron.
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I see why you left it out of the caption.
Looks like background on the Phantom. Want it before or after the supplies translation?
I'd like the Phantom piece before the supplies translation. Thanks.
I wonder if the names for the different types of power cylinders in my translation should be adjusted to match the English labels here?
I like your first pass at the names of power cylinders. I'm preserving them. I agree with your original point that the Designs 2 article came afterwards and shows some revisions that Nagano made. I scanned the pages from Smoke Walls because they're higher resolution and the arrows are easier to erase and/or move without repairing the art work.

Thanks again for your translation work. I'm going to look for time this week to lay out pages. We can discuss them once I've got something to show.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:26 am

sounds like things are shaping up pretty nicely. Can't wait to see the final result!
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 am

I'm very sorry that I haven't been able to put together some pages yet. This is my 4th day of being quite sick plus taking care of sick children. If you think your coworkers get cranky, try spending a day with a sick 1 year old! I'm going to work to catch up this week and hopefully have some time for FSS on the weekend.

levrin

Post by levrin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 am

Phantom intro:

Our last structural diagram is a parts explanation for the Fillmore Empire's newest MH.
The Phantom, the Fillmore Empire's newest MH, is built on a completely different design philosophy to the Siren and so far an initial run of three units has been completed. While all three have been armed and equipped as destroyers, there is quite enough leeway in the frame and power output that they will undoubtedly receive general-purpose equipment when finally assigned to the Neue Syrtis. However, the new MH Phantom is so different from the existing Siren that tactical deployment strategies would all need to be recompiled for the new machines, and formal adoption of a new MH by such a large empire would necessitate a significant downtime during the transition.
The three initial units are armored in white for Naias, black for Madora, and red for Ena. Few MH actually have painted armor; for the most part the armor plating itself is manufactured already colored.
The armor plating on the Phantom itself covers a relatively small area, but while at first glance the plating suggests the Phantom is built as a lightly-armored speed-oriented MH, each armor section is quite thick and offers more defense than apparent. The agility of the Phantom doesn't reach the level of the V Siren Neptune, but neither does it suffer from the Neptune's peaky response. This new MH's slender, but solid and heavily armored body is unprecedented among existing MH.
Also distinctive among MH is the higher placement of the function generators bays either side of the cockpit due to the narrowness of the torso. Because of this, the function turbines' emission catalyzer ports are larger than even the Black Knight's. The Phantom's unusual appearance has drawn notice from every nation in the cluster; in more ways than one it represents the bleeding edge of tactical MH progress.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks, levrin! This is great. I've got to try and find some time to work on diagram pages.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:31 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/series/fives ... am-01.html

It's late and I have to get some rest for tomorrow but here's an initial rough draft to discuss. I don't like how the page is inflexible and doesn't adjust as you resize the browser window. However, with the danger of captions overlapping, I'm not able to think of a better solution right now. Anyways, help me out and look at the page. Let me know what you think. If it's a mess, let me know what's going wrong for you. I'm going to test it on my Windows 7 machine at the office tomorrow with IE 9.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:10 am

I don't think it's a mess at all. It looks very much like the pages from which it was taken, which as far as I am concerned, is a best case scenario. Can't wait to see how the rest of the pages turn out!
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 pm

It looks alright on Windows 7 with IE 9 and Firefox. I tried scaling up and down the Web site in Firefox Windows and the page held together nicely.

I saved off Web versions of the 2nd and 3rd diagram images to work on layout at the office today but without the 2 books open on a table beside me I can't tell what goes where. :(

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:08 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/series/fives ... am-06.html

This one took a long time but I think this layout will work.