hitori

Real life Kaienken

Post by hitori » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:20 pm

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:48 pm

That thing's amazing.

I'll bet the owner is reclusive because he doesn't want the media showing up and getting in his/her way when (s)he needs to defend Japan against invading demon/aliens. I know I wouldn't.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:25 pm

I almost thought that was a naginata without looking at the text in that page and checking the full length photo. Interesting to read and speculate about, though I doubt it can be called a real life Kaienken despite being blessed by a priest. Most old swords, even well made new ones, are usually blessed by priests so this is nothing unusual.

S

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:29 pm

I think I read somewhere that those swords (those that are longer than +-2m) were build as decorative object (well it's obvious you can't fight with it^^).

Well, searching a bit while typing my message, it's written here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odachi

(well just a random info^^)

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:40 pm

I've playe SOOOOO many Japanese RPG's and samurai/ninja games that have a blade called the Osafune Katana. I bet thats the one they're referring to. Very cool.

A couple of years ago, I was doing research on various Kenjutsu styles and I came across one that specifically uses Odachi in its style. I've since lost the web page (if it even exists) but I keep searching from time to time.

Back during the Muromachi period (and on up to the Sengoku Jidai), sword lengths were not at all regulated and many variations existed. Tokugawa ended all that by standardizing the lengths of the Katana and Wakizashi (to the typical lengths known today) and many unique styles that rely on shorter or longer blade lengths disappeared because of this law. Only a few exist today by hiding their teachings from the public at large.

I suppose a blade of that size (it was HUGE) would be perfect for a Headdliner ranging around Rognar or Kaien's size. (Perfect for Spaccorn's 2.3m frame)
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:41 pm

Can you imagine the average Samurai during the Muromachi period probably being somewhere on the average of 5'5" trying to wield that thing.

:shock:
Shinei!

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:39 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Can you imagine the average Samurai during the Muromachi period probably being somewhere on the average of 5'5" trying to wield that thing.

:shock:
Nodachi always were extreamly rare, just like the big two handed swords of Europe. Not everyone could actually use them in combat

tifacloud

Post by tifacloud » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:02 pm

I would say if u can't manage to finish off your enemy with the first stroke, u are doomed. Sort of a "all or nothing" weapon.

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:22 pm

*chuckles* Thanks for the links Nu Suoard. Although (just personal opinion here) if people really were that interested...and they weren't lazy/illiterate/English is their very new second language/mouse savvy/or were just plain internet newbies...all they had to do was click on the home button at the bottom of that page and all relating info on and about these swords would be displayed for them from that same url the picture is on.

I'm not critisizing you, Nu Suoard, because you did do this thread's readers a big favor. This is just something I've observed in a lot of posters not only on this forum, but every other one as well. If people would just read a bit further on the available material or take the time to read the entire content of something they wouldn't be so mis-informed or so quickly to put up false (whether intentional or not) data.

S

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:59 pm

Yeah, I didn't read that at the bottom of the link that Falk posted. I learned about it from that website I went to years ago, just thought it was very interesting and relevant to the thread. If I would've read it in that link I wouldn't have bothered to post it, but I always have been kind of a "too much information" style poster :)

What can I say, I like to ramble.
Shinei!

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:23 pm

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:What can I say, I like to ramble.
No problem in that. Everyone has a right to ramble, especially if it's on the backstory, history, culture, just general background of whoever created what, then that would be even more interesting.

I just couldn't help being...er...lippy...or maybe "typy"? Anyway, don't bother answering that.

Who are the two girls in the latest NT, again? And why are they "maids"?

S

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:38 am

tifacloud wrote:I would say if u can't manage to finish off your enemy with the first stroke, u are doomed. Sort of a "all or nothing" weapon.
Ax's have the same problem. At least the big two handed ones like the Danes and their decendants in the British Isles caried.

Recovering from a swing of something that heavy was difficult and did leave you vulnerable to a smaller opponent, especially in single combat, their weight tended to cause you to overrotate invouluntarily and expose your right flank and your kidnies to a thrusting weapon.

They actually fought in pairs though, they had a younger or lower class warrior carry a shield, simple spear, and short sword or one handed ax, to cover them. Axes were cheaper than two handed swords and about 10 times more common.

Shadowbrooke

Post by Shadowbrooke » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:07 am

Wow, for being a non-scandinavian you sure know a lot about axes...have we been watching the discovery channel again? :D
In all seriousnes though, it is nice to see an american who does not think that vikings had horns on their helmets and other just plain dumb stuff about the northern European history of that time period. Thank you!

Shadowbrooke (Swede since 1976)

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:14 am

Shadowbrooke wrote:Wow, for being a non-scandinavian you sure know a lot about axes...have we been watching the discovery channel again? :D
In all seriousnes though, it is nice to see an american who does not think that vikings had horns on their helmets and other just plain dumb stuff about the northern European history of that time period. Thank you!

Shadowbrooke (Swede since 1976)
Mostly Osprey books actually.