What about the Mobile Infantry

The hardsuits of Bubblegum Crisis, landmates of Appleseed, etc.

Moderator: kosh

What about the Mobile Infantry

Postby Shadowbrooke » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:30 pm

Would the mobile infantry from Starship Troopers fit here I wonder?
Shadowbrooke

Postby Tachyon » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:34 pm

Sure!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.
Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shadowbrooke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:32 am

The book Starship Troopers was originaly written in 1959 by Robert A. Heinlein and is nothing at all like the horrible movie with the same name. The book takes place in the 22nd century and tells the tale of a Johnny Rico, son of Filipino millionaires, who enlists hoping to be a pilot in order to rebell against his father. Upon enlistment he gets slotted as a Mobile Infanty recruit due to his lack of mathematical abilities and gets shipped off to Canada for basic training. While in basic training he learns the military structure, it's functions and why that is. This is a big part of the book since it all boils down to the one thing the books tries to comunicate to the reader; why a person ought to be disposed to defend humanity. The book has some political statements that is clearly communistic in nature, but you have to think about how scociety works in the book to really understand the characters and their political outlook though. The moral and political teachings of the book is in it self worth the read but that is not why I think you should read this book:

This is one of the absolute first publications with mecha and powered suits as a part of the storyline, written in 1959 none the less!

The Mobile Infantry is just that, mobile, due to the big goilla looking mechs they use to wage war and defend the Federation. Armed with jumpjets and enough weapons to level entire cities these powered suits rain down from high orbit in drop-pods designed to gradually fall apart to ceate a chaff like effect on the enemies detection systems. Well on the ground they wage war by "leaps and bounds", fighting the alien "Skinnies" as well as the highly advanced insectoids on their own home worlds.

This book is just amazing, I dare you to pick it up and JUST read the first chapter! If you call your self a mecha fan then this should be on your list of books to read if you have not done so allready.

Have a good one and thank you for reading my rantings about one of my favorite books,

Shadowbrooke
Shadowbrooke

The Grand-Daddy of em all...

Postby SteamTrooper » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:13 am

That question about would they fit is a tricky one in my opinion- Firstly I`d YELL!!! YEAH - I mean where would anime and the like be without StarshipTroopers - It is prety much the grand daddy of all the stuff we chat about around here - Gundam wouldnt have been without it and that is just the start.

Secondly - you have to consider if the Gorilla suit is MECH or merely Power-Armour - I dont much imagine people about these parts :roll: would be to bothered about the difference but I think it is fair to say it lies around about the Heavy GEAR/Landmate mark - it is a BOOSTER to the natural strength of the user and supplies armour and senses as well as packing a great deal of heat - this second point is mute as obviously the first point cuts through any nit picking and pigeon holeing - SO all in all I like many many others have to agree with you on this point..

StarShip Troopers (the book) Rocks mightily :D
SteamTrooper

Re: The Grand-Daddy of em all...

Postby Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:20 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:
StarShip Troopers (the book) Rocks mightily :D

Hey, the movie rocked too. It just wasn't Starship Troopers but it was a rousing Space Marine adventure.

I hope someone does that book justice at some point in the future...
Shinei!
Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Postby Shadowbrooke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:31 pm

What really pickles me off is that they had all the storyboards down for a sequel to the book, Bruce Willis was going to be the older Rico and it was going to encompass the actual Mobile Infantry in their powered armor. From what I saw of it it looked really good, kind of dark and "heavy" future acion with actual substance - then the go and do Armagedon instead :evil: What a waste of time that movie was, the only thing kewl about that movie was that we got to go to NASA and dive in the pool before they started shooting! The room they suck all the air out of to test their helmets is actually real by the way, it is as close to "empty" space you can get here on earth...

Enough rantings from me, have a good one!

Shadowbrooke
Shadowbrooke

Postby SteamTrooper » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:04 am

Yeah I do like the film - but its a satire as well as a marine romp - I think far too many people fail to see the dark comedy and cutting remarks it makes about the world today and just fall for the effects n pretty people - all in all a great film especially on my mates 10ft home cinema - it was one of the first if not the first we watched on it years back - man I swear my ears are still ringing a little. :D
SteamTrooper

Postby SteamTrooper » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:13 am

Shadowbrooke - you do realise that a second film was made? - It had everything going for it on the surface but bomed very badly indeed.

Also Shadowbrooke did you realise that there was also a Anime version of ST`s - its been a long long time since I watched it but I recall it was prety good - the suits werent too bad in it - have you any pics of your Action figures I could see? - Im wondering what/where they came from in terms of Film/Anime/Comic etc...

Also Shad (if I may call u that?) - there is a anime version - prety old and If I recall prety darned good too - accurate to the story in many ways also.

It was called `Uchuu No Sensi` or something very similar - Ill fish around for some pics n stuff if u like?

Ciao 4 now :D

Adam
SteamTrooper

Postby Shadowbrooke » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:41 pm

Yeah, it tried to watch most of them but I hated all but the Uchû no Senshi anime from 1988. It is the best adaptation of the book I have seen so far, it is well worth checking in to if you have the oportunity. The posable figures I got is from that series, if you need more info just go to TooperPx and look around fo a little bit. They have everything on Starship Troopers there, I highly recommend it!

(Shad)owbrooke
Shadowbrooke

Postby SteamTrooper » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:55 am

Nice site - had a prety good look around - I hadnt realised that Uchuu was also a novel - thatd be an interesting read I bet!

Also remined me that I have a MAK kit sitting on a shelf at home - I `ll have to go make it sometime :D - Loved the big machinegun that one of the suits has - might have to try a scratchbuild for a gundam me thinks.

Take a look here - you might notice the designs are slightly (erm!!! I meant exactly) the same.

http://mak.scifimodels.org.uk/

Enjoy - I particularly like the Falk - its not a suit but a great little vehicle.
SteamTrooper

Postby Shadowbrooke » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:32 pm

Yes, he does have a lot of MAK models on his site, just because ST was a huge inspiration to the MAK line. Had there not been a ST then there would never had been a MAK. Long story short, the designers was too tired of all the big robots in anime and manga so they decided to take the ST thing a bit further! It is a great site for anyone who is looking for some ST info or other small mecha/mobilesuits for hat matter. Worth checking in to if you have not seen it yet. Now, I have a question for you guys: Is there not a tabletop game based on MAK and their figures? This migh jus be a figment of my wild imagination but if there is, can you post some info on it here on the board?

Shadowbrooke
Shadowbrooke

Postby SteamTrooper » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:45 am

Hi again Shad - Yeah thankgod for ST - heres a link you ,ay or may not already have - its got some very nice stuff on it - Im prety sure this link exists on this site somewhere but??

http://aswars.tripod.com/theartofmakoto ... /id19.html

Now those are models :D
SteamTrooper

Postby SteamTrooper » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:49 am

And Yokoyama`s homepage-

http://homepage3.nifty.com/kow/
SteamTrooper

Madox 01

Postby klingon » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:49 am

Take a look at Madox 01,it is probably the most accurate depiction of a Trooper I've seen
Scintede Jugula
klingon

Postby SteamTrooper » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:35 am

LOL - take a look he says!! :shock:

Been there done that - always loved the design - especially its packing crate delivery system - but I have to add in my opinion it is a little too Square and angular to fit the Gorilla ST armour perfectly - dont get me wrong - the size and power levels are prety much right just I see the Gorilla suits has been more rounded and less Mechanical looking.
SteamTrooper

Next

Return to Small Mecha