Plz help a newbee out

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:56 pm

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:
Lalasa wrote:Prominance and Neptune are one and the same thing?! >.<
Oh no! Sorry to confuse you Lalasa. They are different MH's.
By the way, is the Mortarheadd called Machine Mess also?
No. Machine Messiah and Mortar Headd are different machines.

Machine Messiah are from AD era and do not use Fatima, but cybernetically link their pilots to the mecha.

Mortar Headds are from the JC era and use Fatima (or Etriml) instead of the MM's cybernetic linkage.

Technically, Machine Messiah's are more powerful than Mortar Headds because of the Super Empires superior technology and Super Empire Chevaliers superior strength over JC Headdliners. However Sop successfully builds the LED Mirage to be more powerful than even a MM: Yen Xing, the most powerful Machine Messiah of the AD era (or so we believe at this point). The LED Mirage is so much more powerful than other JC era Mortar Headds...
Oh...Thanks for the clarification! *goes back to change the info...* XD

Ooooh, so that's why there are four catagories: MM = Mortar Messiah, MM = Machine Messiah, MH = Mortarheadd, AH = Airheadd. Since there were only the initials, I thought the Mortar Messiah and the Machine Mess were the same thing.

S

Shadowbrooke

Post by Shadowbrooke » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:49 am

Sooo...is it safe to assume this time that the Airheadd is just a joke on your part? Sorry if this is a bit redundant and noob-ish but I have only read two issues and don't actually have any of my own yet. Issues numbering 1 to 24 should be here at the beginning of November I hope, they are from the US market though - is there any difference between them(besides the obvious language thing)?
Thank you one and all for providing all this information too by the way, this has to be one of the best forums out there. Usually there's allways that one click of pos(t)ers that tries their very best to intimidate new members like my self, not here though - good job guys, keep it up!

Shadowbrooke

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:54 am

I believe the Speed Mirage is the Air Headd, since it's a flight capable MH.

Shadowbrooke wrote:Sooo...is it safe to assume this time that the Airheadd is just a joke on your part? Sorry if this is a bit redundant and noob-ish but I have only read two issues and don't actually have any of my own yet. Issues numbering 1 to 24 should be here at the beginning of November I hope, they are from the US market though - is there any difference between them(besides the obvious language thing)?
Thank you one and all for providing all this information too by the way, this has to be one of the best forums out there. Usually there's allways that one click of pos(t)ers that tries their very best to intimidate new members like my self, not here though - good job guys, keep it up!

Shadowbrooke

Shadowbrooke

Post by Shadowbrooke » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:02 am

Got it! I thought that the Junchon-something-rather had flight capabilities as well but I am probably wrong on this. I will look them both up on the FSS part of this site and see what it says, they have an excellent MH page with tonns of info!

Again, thank you but you guys really have to stop giving me all the good info, I am running out of English curtesy phrases and I hate to repeat my self :D

Shadowbrooke

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:39 am

brace yourself. Here's some more info :D

Just about all MH's can fly :shock:

Apparently, anti-grav technology in the FSS universe is derived from Ezlaser technology. Since all MH's have Ezlaser engines, they can use some of the power of the engine to "cancel" the weight of the MH, making them extremely light. This accounts for the exceptionally high mobility of 150+ Ton war machines. Those MH units with extra power can actually use it to propel their MH's at high speeds.

Those MH's that are built specifically for air-combat are called Air Headds. I've only seen the term used once, in referrence to the Speed Mirage which is capable of transforming from a Warrior mode to a space/air fighter mode. There is one other air-superiority Headd called the Wunderschatze, but it doesn't transform, it is permanently afixed in Space fighter mode. (btw, the Speed Mirage is also called the Cloudschatze)

Now there are MH's that are built with flight in mind. The Junchoon is one of these. It could use its Ezlaser engine to attain flight by itself, but by including a Flight booster the Junchoon can acheive high velocities. The Junchoon's ancestor MH, the Engage Octaver seems to be built for fast flight as well.

The LED Mirage also has two special attatchments. One is called the Boomerang and enables the LED to attain high speed flight. The other is for Space Flight (called the Luna) and is not only used for maneuvering in Space, but is capable of interstellar travel as well!
Shinei!

Shadowbrooke

Post by Shadowbrooke » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:16 am

Graphite, I read your top-ten-list earlier and there's one thing that I have to ask:

You choose not to mention Landwand Spacorn in your list, what is the reason for that? Is he just not a big part of the story or does he just s*ck to bad to be on the list? I just love his whole thing with the mecha-type arm and all. Sure, he is not as kewl as Rognar and his Daughter chip but still...the arm just look so damn cool!

[Shadowbrook wishing he had a mecha-arm to go with his LED/Fatima in his secret underground base] :D :D :D

Have a good one guys and gals,

Shadowbrooke

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:33 am

Spaccorn is actually quite good and very powerful. I'm not sure exactly where he fits in the scheme of things, but he is one of the top Mirage Knights of the 2cnd Mirage Corps. Out of all the 2cnd Mirage Corps, he is probably 3rd strongest after Rognar and Aisha (not including Kaien as temporary FEMC #1 of course). If you've noticed I also didn't include Aisha on that list either.

I tried to put on the list MH/Fatima/HL combinations that were exceptionally effective based on the performance ability of all three categories. When it comes to the Headdliners, I based it on how strong they are percieved to be in comparison to others. Most of the HL's on that list are at the very least Heaven Position (aka; Knight Master) as far as I know, Spaccorn is not a Knight Master. (though, he probably should be. Not everyone with the skill and ability to be Teni is recognized as such)
Shinei!

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:01 pm

That's what I thought about Spacorn. I read in a lot of places that he was a very good knight and Tisphone's not that bad either. I saw him in the latest issue with her helping out that girl and the little child. By the way, is that little child female or male?

S

Shadowbrooke

Post by Shadowbrooke » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:45 pm

So, here's another couple of dumb questions for you guys:

Is there an official "ranking" amongst the Knights like there is in many of the martial arts i.e. the proverbial black belt as supposed to a white or a yellow.

If so, is this ranking official in the sense that they have it as a title or otherwise making the common crowd as well as a possible adversary know i.e. clothing decorations, tribal tatoos, pimpin' entourage?

Is there anything similar in affect for the Fatimas? I could not help but noticing in your responses earlier in this thread that some of them are referred to as 3A and the likes...that all has to do with their ranking and their capabilities correct?

Another thing that I have wondered about is the special abilities and capabilities themselves, both among the Knights and the Fatimas. Can someone tell me a bit more about this phenomenon? Does it manifest itself only when in the MH with both "pilots" in it or is it strictly individual i.e. it can be used in a hand-to-hand situation to impress your shiny new pimpin' entourage? Is it magic, as in something that can be taught to you, or is it maybe something that is a result of evolution that Knights are born with along with the rest of their extraordinary abilities?
It would be nice if some one could just write what we know about all of this and post it on the forum, maybe add it to the FSS part of this otherwise so excellent website.

Thank you for taking your time to read my feeble noob questions and dignifying them with an actual reply!

Shadowbrooke

Mave

Post by Mave » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:01 pm

You said you ordered 1-24 right? Most of your questions are found within the manga but I'll try to answer your questions anyway :)

There are no official galaxy-wide rankings other than the knight/swordmaster and sage titles that are handed out by the empress of Bakinrakkan (I'm sure I'm not 100% correct here, those that know more about swordsage titles should correct me)
And then there are titles within a particular knighthood i.e. Kneue Syltiss Highlander.

The decoration that most knight masters have are the wing-symbol you can spot on MH:s and clothes.

I dont know of any normal fatimas that recieved such titles. "3A" and such are the different power gauges that tell of the fatimas capabilities. You'll find lot of info about fatima power gauges and clearances in english volume 15.

Some "special abilities" of knights does carry over to MH-piloting such as the sonic blade. Some fatima can also master these moves.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:53 pm

To see the method on ranking Fatima look in FSS section here and check the link that says ranking system.

There are some "normal" (i.e. non-fates) fatima that have 3A ratings. They are all Chrome Ballanche fatimas. These are:

Parthenon
Marjer
Bashicustual
Hugtrang

[Note that this is 3A in Mortar Headd Control. There are other fatima who posses 3A in Calculation, and those are Parthenon (she'd damn good), Bashicustual, Sparituda, and Morard creation IjeRN]
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:25 pm

Shadowbrooke wrote:
Is there an official "ranking" amongst the Knights like there is in many of the martial arts i.e. the proverbial black belt as supposed to a white or a yellow.
Yes, there is an "official" ranking system. It is a tittle for knights who reach a specific level of excellence and is awarded by either the Shaman of Atoll or the Emperor/Empress of Bakinrakin.

The tittle is known as Teni or Heaven Position which is also known as Knight Master. There are also various ranks within this tittle:

Kensai or Sword Saint: The top Headdliner in the galaxy. #1 position. Only 1 person can be Kensai at any given time. Current Kensai: Douglas Kaien

Gou Teni or Greater Heaven Position: The #2 Headdliner in the galaxy. Only 1 person can be Gou Teni at a time. Current Gou Teni Abien Hitosai of Fillmore. Later held by Jackos Quon Hashu. (Kaien's student and son of Mirage Knight Iamareh Rout Jajas)

Syou teni or Lesser Heaven Position: The #3 Headdliner in the galaxy. Only 1 person at a time can be Syou Teni. Current Syou Teni is Oricon Harris of Bakinrakin (Spark's daddy)

Teni or Heaven Position: AKA Knight Master. There are supposed to be less than 100 of these guys in the galaxy. We've seen quite a few of them appear in the tale. Note that while the tittle of Teni grants some status with it, not everyone who is deserving of the tittle gets recognized. The two most obvious examples being Decors Weissmel, the current Black Knight, and Prince Krakenbeal Mejojo, leader of the Roundabout Knights, both of whom are far stronger than some knights who have attained Teni status.
If so, is this ranking official in the sense that they have it as a title or otherwise making the common crowd as well as a possible adversary know i.e. clothing decorations, tribal tatoos, pimpin' entourage?
Yes. First of all, the majority of Teni Headdliners are uber-famous, simply for attaining the rank. Headdliners will know of them, and these are the guys the general populace hero-worships (like earthlings obsess over Actors and rock stars)

Many Knight Masters sport a symbol that is in a wing-like shape. We simply call it the "Wings of the Knight Master" but I have no idea if there is an official name for it. It is generaly gold in color, but Kaien has one on the Schpeltor that is incredibly detailed. You'll see it when you aquire your volumes in the mail I'm sure.

Another thing that I have wondered about is the special abilities and capabilities themselves, both among the Knights and the Fatimas. Can someone tell me a bit more about this phenomenon? Does it manifest itself only when in the MH with both "pilots" in it or is it strictly individual i.e. it can be used in a hand-to-hand situation to impress your shiny new pimpin' entourage? Is it magic, as in something that can be taught to you, or is it maybe something that is a result of evolution that Knights are born with along with the rest of their extraordinary abilities?
This is one of my favorite parts of FSS (besides the brilliance of the plot and the gorgeous MH designs of course).

If you are familiar with Fighting videogames like Street Fighter or King of Fighters then you have an idea of what some of the super powered techniques are like. Another (and better) analogy would be the super-moves seen in various RPG's like Final Fantasy 7, XenoGears, SaGa Frontier and Star Ocean. Many of the Limit Breaks (to coin FF7) seen in these games are very similar in style and feel to the super skills seen in FSS. The videogame SaGa Frontier for the PS1 had a move called Swallow Swing that looks like it was taken from Five Star Stories Sonic Ring Slicer (see the Lachesis vs Schaft/Zoom battle)

These skills are not magic, but Nagano has yet to explain them. I suppose this comes from applied science to battle techniques, taking advantage of the Headdliners extreme level of strength and speed to do things beyond that of normal humans.
There are some techniques that do use some magic/psionic power to enhance them. One of these is called Mirror which pulls an exact double of the Headdliner from the future. This double can act independantly of the original, and since its from the future, it should know exactly what it wants of itself :) Only special Headdliners with a special spritual power called Diver Power can do this however, and these are exceptionally rare.

Diver Power is a form of magic or psionics in Five Star Stories. It accounts for the wizards and prophets that appear in the tale. Nagano treats it very much like traditional wizardry, but its true power source is unknown. Nagano has stated that while Headdliner are the descendants of AD era supersoldiers, that Divers were the descendants of AD era super mentalists, test subjects who had their mental capacities enhanced to the utmost extreme as opposed to Headdliners physical capablities being boosted. Dis Vosdjasforth is a very powerful Diver, as is Kaien's daughter Magdall.
It would be nice if some one could just write what we know about all of this and post it on the forum, maybe add it to the FSS part of this otherwise so excellent website.
Theere are already a lot of topics in this section about this stuff. Simply look around and I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information. Here, try this thread. I think you'll find it very interesting:

http://www.gearsonline.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278
Thank you for taking your time to read my feeble noob questions and dignifying them with an actual reply!

Shadowbrooke
No problem. Don't worry about being a Newbie, we are all newbs at some point. The cool thing about the online FSS community is that it is very accepting of newcomers because there are too few of us to create little cliques! Compared to other anime and manga, FSS has a very small following outside of Japan, so we gotta stick together.

Hope I was able to help.
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:41 pm

Lalasa wrote:That's what I thought about Spacorn. I read in a lot of places that he was a very good knight and Tisphone's not that bad either. I saw him in the latest issue with her helping out that girl and the little child. By the way, is that little child female or male?
The child is a girl. A very cute girl with big eyes and long straight golden hair. :)

About Knight Masters and Sword Masters

They're different. Knight Masters carry a wing emblem that you see below. It is shown either on their clothes or MHs. The Sword Masters do not have any emblems as far as i know.

The Knight Master title is given only by a Sword Saint in recognition of the former's exceptional strength.

Ten-i or Sword Master titles may or may not be bestowed by a Sword Saint. Sometimes, by merely surviving a hit by the Sword Saint earns you the title of Sword Master.

Needless to say, it seems like Knight Masters are even much more elite than the Sword Masters, and much more rare.

All of the techniques performed by the knights seem to be effects of their exceptional strength and speed. For example, a very strong knight chopping the air with his hands is strong and fast enough to cause a turbulance in the air to attack his enemy. Most of these techniques are offensive, although there is at least one defensive move. Some (not all) techniques can be executed when the Knight is piloting a MH. Imagine the damage will be multipled many times in the MH! :shock: Not all knights are capable of these moves, only the more powerful ones. ;)
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:21 pm

Rubel Colus wrote:
Lalasa wrote:That's what I thought about Spacorn. I saw him in the latest issue with her helping out that girl and the little child. By the way, is that little child female or male?
The child is a girl. A very cute girl with big eyes and long straight golden hair. :)
Thank you. Sooo...who are they, do you know? That girl holding the child looks familiar. It's that hair, probably.

S

Mave

Post by Mave » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:55 pm

Those would be Haird Groover (pls someone correct my spelling :P) and the child is Magdall. Magdall was injured by Vos.
Haird is Depres and Magdalls "guardian" or some-such I think.