You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Awesome.
Shinei!

levrin

Re: Dead message board :(

Post by levrin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 am

[Smoke Walls, Internal Structure of Mortar Headd, Phantom page 1]
MH head decorations
All in all, quite a lot of MHs have ended up with distinct and impressive head shapes and decorations, but these are really only to make them stand out or for unit identification. MH with uniquely-shaped heads that actually serve a purpose are very limited, including the KOG with its built-in life-support and regeneration systems, and the Cross Mirage with its stored surveillance devices.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:24 pm

So most MH's do not have essential equipment in the head section aside from Fatima Controls?

Interesting.
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:07 am

I meant to get to this sooner, but Wave's plastic Engage SR1 kit is distracting me more than expected; Bandai kits are a lot easier than this glue-and-paint-required stuff.

Anyway, this page has English headings already so I'll use those and just add notes afterward if they don't quite match the Japanese.

[Smoke Walls, Internal Structure of Mortar Headd, Phantom page 2]
[right side, top to bottom]
Ear Pod
The MH's backup scanners, sensors, rear scanners, laser cannons and such are all built into these pods. For redundancy against battle damage one is placed on either side.

Generator Bypass
While there are also generator bypasses protected by the head and neck armor, these are mostly for feedback data from the fatima, so there is no great effect if they are lost to combat damage. Exposed parts like this are generally backups of backups or of similar importance.

Shoulder Armor Humungus [Biiig Shoulder Armor]
As with the head, there is no particular reason for the MH's characteristic large and strange-shaped shoulder armor. In any case, any shape is fine so long as it does not interfere with the complicated movements of the shoulder. Many knights prefer large shoulder armor as it can also protect the arms in combat.

Stabilizer
The hanging, ribbon-like parts seen on the likes of the KOG and the BANG act as a support balancer and bleed off excess power and electrical discharges from machines being run overpowered. Seen on high-powered MH and trial units.

Armor Vents [Armor Slits]
The undisclosed reasons for having these armor slits are unknown, but it seems unlikely to be for releasing internal heat. Perhaps it is to reduce the heavy armor weight.

As with automobiles, the nimble movements of a MH benefit from having a lighter suspension. Every country puts effort into reducing the lower body weight of their MHs.

[left side, top to bottom]
Phantom Horns
Rather an inconvenience in combat, they fold back when swinging a sword high.

Fatima Hatch
When opened, the fatima shell's hatch is 30cm further in. The thickness can be seen in the volume 11 scene where Giselle leans out. [vol. 11, p167]

Skeletal Fright Mask [Frightful Skeletal Facemask]
Really scary. The teeth-looking part is a ventilator.

Headdliner Cockpit Hatch

30mm Blaster Muzzle
The Sirene models are equipped here and there with blasters and S-mines, but since the Phantom is a destroyer type it is limited to the bare minimum of support weaponry. It carries only four support weapons -- these blasters and the beam cannons on the ears.

Torso Accordion Armor [Torso Bellows Armor]
Like a metal watchband, small plates are knit together to form the flexible torso armor, allowing unobstructed movement of the upper body. Inside are only the keel and assistive power pistons. No oil or support equipment or anything in there.

Compact Veil [Brief Veil]
As a destroyer MH, the Phantom does not carry the standard large veil, replacing it with the bare minimum defense of two small veils. A standard veil can carry ground assault ordnance and backup weaponry inside, making it suitable for a variety of battle situations.

Tachi Broadsword [Sword]
A MH's main weapon, generally a sword, axe, or hammer, is made of an extremely hard, yet flexible substance called metrotekachrome steel. While they can be sheathed on the hip armor, during the Great Magic War most are mounted on the interior of a veil and drawn from there when used.

[bottom center]
Foot
As with Neptune, the toe and foot armor are not separated, but the previous pages have shown that the toe and foot are jointed internally. No problem. It's more like a protective cover.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Great! Thanks, levrin. I'm at work so I can't compare this to the book but I will when I get home.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Awesome! Thanks for this.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:03 am

Hmmm...lots of info in that last one about the Phantom. Now I've had time to digest it, I have several questions/comments

Stabilizer's are not only for balance during high speed maneuvers, but are also for bleeding off excess power? That's pretty cool because that would look awesome as a MH speeds by with it's stabilizers streaming out behind it, bleeding off energy in the form of light and electricity! Wouldn't be very convenient for a stealth approach though. So I wonder how most MH's that don't have stabilizers bleed off excess power, or do they simply re-rout it through additional capacitors and store it in batteries for use later. We know that the Empress Flame MH bleeds off excess energy through its armor (as light and electricity, giving the Empress Flame a glowing aura) as does the LED Mirage (causing the transparent armor to glow brightly, making the LED into a Shining Knight).

The Torso Accordion Armor is "knit together" and flexible like the wristband of a metal watch? That's a pretty neat concept. I never thought about it being like that, though I can see the utility as such a configuration would have few limitations as to how it could bend and stretch, although that makes me think that the waistband area of a MH is one of it's weak-points. Such armor can't be particularly strong at repelling ordinance! Of course since the only thing in that area is the Keel and supportive Power Pistons (probably to move the waist section?) then attacking that section is probably pointless most of the time.

The Phantom is mentioned as being a "Destroyer Type" Mortar Headd. The Siren-R is mentioned as being "Hunter-Tuned". I'm assuming these are classes of Mortar Headds. We know there are different Mortar Headds built for different roles...some are built for general purpose (LED, Siren-F, Atoll-BS Cobra, Bang Doll), some for heavy artillary (Rogue Mirage), some for MH vs MH combat (Phantom, Siren R, Eleshis, Emp Flame maybe) some for stealth and/or Recon (Terror Mirage, Cross Mirage, A-Toll Scritti). If we could get the "official" names of the classes that MH's fit into, that would be great. That is the kind of information we need to add to the FSS section.
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:22 am

As far as MH without stabilizers, I think the idea is that MH that don't explicitly have methods of burning off excess power are ones that don't generate excess in the first place and don't have those issues.

My understanding is that destroyer(駆逐型) MHs are dedicated to killing other MH, to the exclusion of other functionality. The only really well-defined MH types seem to be general-purpose and destroyer, maybe because there just aren't that many other specialized types in common use (because stealth recon with a giant robot is sort of silly). I wonder if the "hunter tuning" of the Siren R isn't just a variant of the destroyer pattern. Designs 3 says the comparatively lighter weight of the Siren R makes it better for both rapid deployment and extended engagements.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Tachyon, how goes the scanning?
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've got 2 sick boys at home. I'm hoping for some time to scan soon.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Is there any more text left? The additional Neptune images from Smoke Walls perhaps?
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:15 am

Actually, I was planning to translate the article text now that the image captions are done, but I got distracted and forgot about it. I need to see if there are significant differences between the accompanying text in Smoke Walls and Designs 2.

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:29 am

Okay, Smoke Walls definitely has more information than Designs 2. The Designs text is mostly the highlights copy-pasted from the Smoke Walls text with some new bridge material. The Designs text reads more formally, while Smoke Walls has a casual feel to it. Probably the best option is to translate from Smoke Walls and then check the new text in Designs to see if anything important was added.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Okay, that interesting. I wonder why Nagano changed the text so much?

It would be awesome if you could translate the body/text. I've been waiting years to read a solid translation of that article. It would be really appreciated from the fans around here.

Are there fans still around here? If so, let Levrin know how much you appreciate his effort!
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm sorry I'm having such a hard time scanning the images but I'll do it. I'm spending most of my time with my 8 month old son these days. He needs a lot of care. I would also enjoy reading the translated text of that article.