LED Mirage armors....and some spoilers

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Mave

LED Mirage armors....and some spoilers

Post by Mave » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:35 am

A discussion in another thread sparked a question I´ve been meaning to ask for a long time.

Quote from the other thread, varning spoilers ahead.

It is said that the Mirages get their butt's kicked so badly during the Space War with the Vagires that the creation of the Wunderschatze and the Cloudschatze are a direct result of that. Amaterasu decided he wanted a dedicated space fighter with the power of a MH in his forces because his MH forces got decimated at Stant....
Is this the reason the later LEDs doesnt use those fancy transparent armor anymore?
The first scene in book1 with the LED and the Black knight show the LED with normal armor.
During the Colus-Hagooda war we see a couple of the first prototype LEDs and they have seemingly normal armor.
And when Amaterasu showcases them to the galaxy somewhere around 3007 they have gotten that transparent armor.

Does the war with Stant deplete the AKDs resources so much that they had to stop making it? Or is that a simple case of Nagano not having the skills to draw the LED like they are supposed to look like when he first started?

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:05 pm

I would just be happy to see a LED with the Luna kit and Biralkema!

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:00 am

Nagano's drawing style has evolved drastically since he first penned the Led vs Vatshu battle in volume one, and it must be understood that he can/will change the look of a character or MH on a whim. However, I think that the general consensus is that the LED mirage armor has always been semi-transparent.

With regards to the Atork war of 2989, let's not forget that the LED was super-secret at this point in time, and was just starting to show up in the ranks of the Mirage knights. The LEDs that fough alongside the forces of Colus were painted white, for what I feel are two reasons:

1- they were painted white/silver/black with COLUS only markings to probably blend-in better amongst the white Berlins, and make them appear as regular Colus forces. A good way to avoid political turmoil and deny involvement/participation in the conflict--just as Filmore did.

2- The nature of the armor was probably very radical and new(not to mention secret), so painting it would only further help disguise its true nature to the enemy, or any battlefield onlookers/spies that would be trying to collect data.
John F. Moscato

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:52 am

John F. Moscato wrote: However, I think that the general consensus is that the LED mirage armor has always been semi-transparent.
It seems like only version 3 of LED Mirage uses semi-transparent armor. Prior to this, they should be non-transparent.

Regarding the Colus war, it seems like they were recognised by the Boowrey as Mirage machines.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:30 am

Hi Rubel.

Yes, that's quite true, Roados and one of the Boowray headdliners did recognize the LEDS for what they were. Mind you, I think it's still valid to think that the FEMC might have been trying to "disguise" the characteristics of the new mirage machines. It's much the same with moderm military equipment: the camouflage pattern painted over an SU-27 doesn't make it invisible, especially not up close, it just helps it blend into the background at long range for that extra split-second it needs to fire off a shot and be gone, or go unnoticed alltogether.

With regards to the semi-transparent armor, the official english FSS manga clearly states that the LED has it, and they don't make any reference to the V3, but to ALL the LEDs. They also state that the FEMC crosses are crimson-colored over a light-emitting white background, and that the cockpit hatch for the headdliner compartment is titanium white, not pearlescent like the rest of the armor. All this translated directly from Nagano's own words; doesn't get much more official than that.
John F. Moscato

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:09 am

John F. Moscato wrote: With regards to the semi-transparent armor, the official english FSS manga clearly states that the LED has it, and they don't make any reference to the V3, but to ALL the LEDs. They also state that the FEMC crosses are crimson-colored over a light-emitting white background, and that the cockpit hatch for the headdliner compartment is titanium white, not pearlescent like the rest of the armor. All this translated directly from Nagano's own words; doesn't get much more official than that.
Oh, so it was mentioned that all versions of the LED mirage are using semi-transparent armor? I couldn't find any reference to that, and the only thing I have read is that the LED Mirages in the Colus war was indeed transparent armor painted over. So, it is very possible that the LED mirages in all versions are using the same transparent armor, even though it is only obvious in the V3 (the most recent drawing).
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Mave

Post by Mave » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:10 am

Aah, thanx for all the insights.
And now the natural follow-up question...
Are the LEDs and the Mighty-series the only Mirage-machines with this type of armor? What about the Terror,Cross and even the Jagd?

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:31 pm

Regarding the fact that all LEDs have the transparent armor, with some LEDs just having the armor painted over in white...

I thought I read from somewhere/someone that the reason behind this painting over was that the unpainted transparent armor look proved too terifying... I'm just not clear on who was supposedly terrified by it. Surely not the headliners and fatimas. And surely it would be GOOD to terrify opponents. So maybe it proved too terrifying for AKD support troops or something? I really don't know...

I really don't remember where I read this, it may or may not be accurate.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:09 pm

Hmm. I don't think there's any hard data on whether or not the other mirage machines also use the transparent armor or not. Nagano does state that the Cross is dark ivory, and that the Jagd is "emerald" green, but nothing more specific than that, so your guess is as good as mine... Until Nagano states otherwise.

I tend to think that it's (probably) exclusive to the Mirage machines though, but again who knows: maybe Neo Chitin in its natural state is actually clear? :|
John F. Moscato

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:58 pm

John F. Moscato wrote:maybe Neo Chitin in its natural state is actually clear? :|
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=chitin

I believe the word they're trying to say is translucent. Because an armor that is completely transparent means that it as clear as glass. Where as translucent, you can see the general outline and maybe even the biggest blotches of color of whatever is behind the translucent object, but not make out any specific detail.

S