I think I have discovered what Atropos's real problem is...

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tomexe

I think I have discovered what Atropos's real problem is...

Post by Tomexe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:18 am

Its not simply that she is a fatima without mind control....

...her underlying problem, which she will not admit to (at least not so far as has been revealed to us) is that she is in love with Sopp too. Just like Lachesis. But since Lachesis was "built" for Sopp/Amatarasu she will always be stuck with a unrequited love.

That is what drives her away. When she does come back and move in with Amatarasu after Lachesis disappears she will be thwarted because he still pines for his missing Lachesis. Then she does get her own Amatarasu in the form of her "brother" Uppandla- except that he is psychotic.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:50 am

Hmm...interesting theory.
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Re: I think I have discovered what Atropos's real problem is

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:27 am

Tomexe wrote:That is what drives her away. When she does come back and move in with Amatarasu after Lachesis disappears she will be thwarted because he still pines for his missing Lachesis. Then she does get her own Amatarasu in the form of her "brother" Uppandla- except that he is psychotic.
I think you're right. In fact, she did mention or suggested that she is in love with Sopp - somewhere during the Emperor Rescue Mission. Just that Lachesis is "much more" in love with Sopp, and Lachi's even being re-made for him. Atropos' love for Amaterasu later made her marry his clone - Upandora. :(

The part you mentioned about Atropos coming back, perhaps hoping that Amat will accept her in place of Lachi, yet discovering she still cant get his love - I must admit I've not thought about this part, but it sounds very possible! Nice ;)
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Mave

Post by Mave » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:11 am

The fact is ALL 3 fates love Sopp to some degree. This is mentioned already in the first book when Clotho begs Sopp to rescue Lacky. She also mentions that Lacky loves him more than the other 2.

The marriage with Upandora...maybe she cant bring herself to love humans? Then again Sopp aint exactly human so yeah you DO have a point :P

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:58 pm

I don't thnk that Atropos knew, before she went into the tank, what Lachesis and Ballanchine had talked about. Thus half the reason she ran off was she was very irate that she had been left out of the equation, although it was really only her own fault that she had never asked her father about it, Laki was just more forward and beat her to the punch. If Atropos had asked Ballenchine about marrying Sopp before Laki, their positions might have switched!

The key is the flashback in English Book 2 where Sopp and Ballanchine have the girls out in the garden making flower garlands right before they are supposed to go back into the tanks for the last time. Lachesis goes and gives her garland to Sopp FIRST and then Atropos gets mad at her for it because she promised to wait till they were all finished.

Atropos was allways a rival for Sopps attention, but her personality did not allow her to be as blunt and forward about it as Laki.

Clotho loves Sopp too in a way but she loves her sisters more, that was why she was the last to give Sopp a garland that day, standing silently to the side untill Sopp noticed her.

Clotho and Lachesis were BOTH remade actually, but Clotho was not by her choice, and why she was chosen rather than Atropos to be Laki's counter may also have to do with her naturally reserved and gentle personality. Ballanchine knew she would never exercise her power unless she had to but Atropos MIGHT become a rival to her sister because of her competativeness and potential jealosy over Sopp.

This was why BOTH Clotho and Lachesis were a year later in awakening than Atropos. Instead of just Lachesis, if she was the only one to be "rebuilt". This is how Clotho winds up with a power she didn't want, and Atropos winds up brooding about things she can never have and becoming bitter.

Mave

Post by Mave » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:42 pm

An interesting theory but I think you are forgetting something very important and that is Athropos (or AT) meeting with Kaien. She has some interesting and thoughtful musings about the role of Fatimas and humans and i think we can conclude based on her monologue that she is distressed at humans, Ballanche and her own fate. Those reasons and mostly her hate for her own creator made her run away, not competition with Lacky or Clotho. Before she parts with Kaien she leaves with the enigmatic words that she probably would have made a good wife to Kaien. What does she mean and imply? Did she fall in love with Kaien the short time they spent together?
The glimpse she catches of the future thanks to Queen (or is it really Suezo?) reinforces her thoughts on fatimas and humans and their fate together, not Sopp.

The flower garland...i think you are reading into that more than necessary. I think that only Lacky of those 3 were feeling true romantic love for Sopp, while AT and Clotho had maybe a child/parental love for him or maybe their love was not as strong as Lackys feelings.

There are really no evidence to support the claim that Clotho was remade too. Does it say so in the Characters books? Because Clotho becomes the most powerful fatima by order of the LED dragon and probably not by Ballanches own judgement.

Athropos marriage to Uplanda is probably due to her willingness to make a difference to all Fatimas. Maybe she thought she could persuade Uplanda to make some changes in the galactic rules towards Fatimas but as we can see things dont turn out alright.
Not much is known this far into the future and this is a pretty large guess from me.
I admit you make some very interesting points but there just isnt enough evidence to support she had this mad jealosy of passion :roll:

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:05 pm

I think it's a combination of all of that. But personally, I believe what really motivates her is the theory that Mave put forward. *shrugs*

Then again, I don't understand that jealousy thing, so it might be that too, but since I've never been jealous of another women in my life, I don't buy it.

S

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:36 am

I think Auxo really does beleve what she says to Kain. She is greived about the position fatimas in general are in.

But she is also more keenly attuned to it because of the unrequited romantic situation. Because its NOT overt, its just ANOTHER of the things she greves about NOT having any control about.

Atropos doesn't know WHAT she was built for, unlike her sisters. I think she was always intended to be the Guardian of the LED Dragon. Custom ordered so to speek when Ballanchine met with him way back when. But she doesn't know that. All she knows is that she is too aware of the condition of fatimas to serve any headliner, she cannot have Sopp, and the rest of society will not accept her and let her live out her life as a woman.