SDF-1 Macross VS. The Imperial Deathstar....

Super Dimensions Fortress Macross and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Daishikaze

SDF-1 Macross VS. The Imperial Deathstar....

Post by Daishikaze » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:21 pm

I know this is abit stupid, but I saw this on another anime forum and it generated some interest. Which in your expert opinion would win?

In the forum I'm lifting this topic from is seemed very Star Wars biased, I think it will be different here because every here are fans of Mecha in general and will look at this from a more unbiased technical point of view.

Personally, given the statistics for both, it seems like the Macross has it sown up, but I'm not as knowledgable overall as most of you, so lets hear your opinions.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:52 pm

The Deathstar can probably generate a more destructive blast but it takes longer to charge up and aim the thing. I'd think the Macross (or SDF-1) would be able to win the conflict.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:52 am

yeah, i agree with Tachyon.

Talking about raw power alone, DeathStar is the obvious winner. It is able to destroy a planet :shock: !! I dont think Macross' main cannons are able to do that.

On the other hand, Macross is more mobile than Deathstar... :twisted:
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:46 pm

I think we have a weight discrepancy here - or maybe not? Wouldnt SDF vs a Stardestroyer be a more equal size match?

That aside my heart is with the SDF - plus it has the barrier and some prety plucky crew members to help things.

You guys have probably seen this site but I love it so here you go again - http://www.merzo.net/main.htm :D

It has Mech comparrisons as well.

Adam

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:03 pm

Well, as I said this was started by a star wars fanboy on another anime forum. I just brought it up here to generate some type of discussion. I don't think size really matters, because both machines are highly destructive.

anyways, how do you think the fighters would do in this equation? This guy brought in tie fighters when the DS couldn't get it done on its own.
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:36 pm

The weapons of both can be effective at such great distances that I wonder if the fighters would make much difference in the conflict.

If they had to engage at close range... It's hard to say. Tie fighters would crumple like paper when hit with valkyrie weapons but Tie fighters are so darn hard to hit! I think the real answer would be to determine how much Tie fighter weapons would hurt valkyries and how well valkyrie missiles could home in on Tie fighters.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:09 pm

I can hit a formation of Ties out to about 2 klix in an X wing - no targeting computer on - I should think in a Valk you could pop em off even easier - I would sure like to give it a try - Oh please one day in my life let there be a cross genre 1st person game complete with vehicles :D

I would say the Valks would win hands down on tech alone - the Empire is in a state of decay while Robotech technology is on an upwards rise - add to this the goodguy gun ethic and the ties might as well stay at home.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:36 pm

The Ties are pretty flimsy, it would take too much to destroy one, Valks are more durable.

they might be pretty fast, but they don't seem to be as manuevurable. Valks are pretty hard to hit, I can my ass handed to me in Macross M3 when I have to take out a drone valkyrie, those things are damn fast and manueverable, their missile capacity is insane! I put the Valks over Ties as well.

gelgogms14

Post by gelgogms14 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:05 am

I think the macross would take out the deathstar. and all its support fleets and fighter wings with one pulse

Gpenguin

Post by Gpenguin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:57 am

just stick good ol’ Vader in a valkyrie, and he’ll take them both out :D

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:35 pm

When I really think about this- the fight seems almost one-sided- - the DeathStar and the sheer number of Tie Fighters it could deploy would very likely overpower the Macross-

Tie vs. Valkyrie 1 on 1- Valkyrie- hands down- Tie vs. Valk 100- 1 no matter how many the Valk hits- sooner or later the Valk will run out of Ammo and Fuel and then it just a matter of time-

the power level of the Main energy Beams on both the SDF-1 and the Deathstar is not even anywhere near equal- assuming that the SDF-1's main gun is at least comparable to the Zentradi- equivalent, (anywhere from equal to maybe 5 x power) Badolza looses an entire fleet of several thousand (if not million) vessels and in a unified bombardment- they can sucessfully evaporate the atmosphere of a standard planet-

the Death Star can destroy same planet in one shot-

so we're probably dealing with a power difference of something on the order of a million to one (perhaps trillion to one) in the Deathstar's favor- and as evidenced in Return of the Jedi- the Deathstar can accurately track and destroy capitol ships in roughly the same scale as the SDF-1 - could the SDF-1's barrier stand up to that level of raw firepower?- the deflector shields of the rebel fleet sure couldn't.

Ultimately- I think it comes down to 2 things-

A- which Deathstar we're talking about- Ver 1 or Ver 2

and -

B- who's in command -

Grand Mof Tarkin may have lost at Yavin IV- but only because the rebels had inside info- He was not stupid or incompotent by any means- and he was more than vicious enough to do something really nasty like use a planet as a sheild then blow the planet up to catch the SDF-1 in the blast-

The second DS- Jergerod was an idiot and the armor on the second station was not complete- assuming the SDF-1 could get through the screens- one valk with a nuke would be all it would take- (just like the Millenium Falcon-)

As much as I love and Respect the SDF-1 and it's capabilities- I don't think it would emerge victorious against the first DS under Tarkin's command unless they possessed the same technical details that the rebels possessed- But the SDF-1 could probably take the second DS with relatively little trouble-

Of course- no-one can match Capt. Harlock in the Corn Pone Short's production "Captain Harlock vs. the Galactic Empire"

Our esteemed Space Pirate singlehandedly (almost- there is a brief assist from Emeraldas) takes on not one, but both Deathstars simultaneously along with the Imperial Fleet for good measure-

After boarding the DS and personally dispatching both Vader and the Emporer- he decimattes the imperial fleet and manuevers the 2 Deathstar's into firing on each other- Mutually assured destruction- Yeah!
(and the Arcadia doesn't even have a barrier or a main gun!)

If you have not seen this- you absolutely have to locate a copy- all but seamless inter-cuts and editing to splice live action and anime footage into a cohesive story-line- absolutely hilarious to boot. Even the music manages to mesh-

kosh

Post by kosh » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:22 am

Versus matches like these are always difficult to call , one Star Trek board had one where the Federation took on the Empire.....that was a hot one . As far as the Macross vs. the Death Star goes , well the Macross big ace in the hole is the all-around barrier , let the Death Star hit with it's main weapon at close range and watch the fun when it overloads and expells all that power outward . While it may not completely destroy the Death Star , it's going to take a chunk out of it and wipe out any surrounding vessels in the process . However the empire does nothing on a small scale , so after the fireworks the remaining Star Destoyers will move in and pick apart the Macross , remember that she was disabled after the barrier implosion that destoyed Badolzas' base . Hate to say this but without Brettais' fleet for support the Macross is not going to win , shear numbers on the side of the Empire would see to that . Now if this were a true one on one engagement , the Macross wins easily . She'd simply manuever around the Death Star taking it apart one piece at a time .
Do you understand?

ax_maxwell

Post by ax_maxwell » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:13 am

the deathstar from the films is younger than the macross in film years, giving it a technological advantage.

TSP

Post by TSP » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:43 am

ax_maxwell wrote:the deathstar from the films is younger than the macross in film years, giving it a technological advantage.
I don't think so. Maybe you should read the text at the biggining of every Star Wars movie. Wasn't it something like: Once upon a time in a galaxy far away .

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:56 pm

The deathstar(s) have a very large superlaser, torrents of anti-capital guns, and tin-foil space fighters. It is the size of a small moon.

The macross has a fold generator, bow-firing main particle cannon, torrents of weapons, a pin-point barrier generator (later omnidirectional barrier), and entire flights of capable transforming space fighters armed with Reaction weaponry.

The empire has Darth Vader, who can use the force to pick out main characters from the entire plot. He flies a unique Tie Advanced with two laser cannons, shields, and supposedly hyperdrive.

The UN Spacy has Hikaru Ichijo and Max Jenius, and if they're lucky they have Millia and Roy Focker. All of them are flying some version of VF-1 with a GU-11 Gunpod and likely FAST packs with a full load of missles and reaction warheads.

There would need to be a reconnisance mission by the SDF-1 to determine the weakness of the Deathstar (no way they're going head-to-head, or Misa would surmise), and they find the exhaust port. So the mission turns into dropping a reaction warhead down the exhaust port.

Darth Vader has trouble taking care of one measly farmboy from Tatooine flying an X-wing that cannot transform (yet has no problem with veterans). He'd have one heullova time confronting, say, Roy Focker. Skull squadron would eat him alive.

Then Hikaru saves the day by dropping a reaction warhead down the exhaust port and Minmei sings the theme song to starwars- confusing imperial leadership so they don't see this all comming.

In the case of the Death star II it's much simpler: Fold behind the thing and fire through the incomplete superstructure to annialate the core.