Best / Worst Convention Experiences

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best / Worst Convention Experiences

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:40 pm

I'd like to hear about your best and worst anime/sci-fi convention experiences.

I think my best was Anime Expo 1999. I went with 4 friends and we had friends in the dealer room. The con "newspaper" was fun to read, lots of cool art books to buy and a group of girls came from Japan with high-quality anime costumes (the Lachesis from FSS was really great).

I guess my worst con was InCon in Spokane, WA a few years back. Not much to do or buy. My friend and I wandered around wondering how to kill time.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:27 am

I think my best memory was from Anime Expo 2000 when myself and my roomate dressed up Mirage Knights. I was Nu Sword Graphite (of course) and my roomate was Landwand Spaccorn. We won Best Craftmanship: Master Level that year because of my roomie's (Blair Heald) construction of Spaccorn's cyberarms.

My worst memory is probably Expo '99 when I got to the Con and saw their list of anime they were going to show...and I had seen absolutely everything on their playlist. I was kinda bored that year.
Shinei!

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:17 am

Best for me was Chiller Theater 2000, got lots of stuff and met some cool people

Worst for me was Otakon 2000, the con was awesome, but my non-anime fan wife complained the whole time and showed bad convention etiquette. On top of that I had to rush through everything and get back to NJ so I could go to work(while trying to get abit of sleep beforehand, which didn't work). I was soooooooooooo tired because I left for Otakon straight after work that morning, so you can imagine just how tired I was.

Needless to say, I called out sick, there was no way I was going to be able to do my job in that condition. And I got in trouble with the Boss as a result. The Lesson of the day is: Don't go to a convention 2 states away straight after work if you have to work that same night.

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:49 am

Best:
Sakuracon 2003 (formerly Baka-con) --- Seattle, Washington State,

Even though many complained, I found nothing wrong with my experience there. I went to make friends and find others who are interested in the things I was. I found quite a few. Those who complained about it went for the programming, arcade and discussion groups which were a bit lacking that year, despite record numbers of attendees.

Worst:
Yaoicon 2001-02 --- San Francisco, California State,

I enjoy yaoi and yuri quite a bit, but there was not much going on in this convention. I went primarily for the materials, not to make friends this time, but everything was still over priced, the products offered were inferior, and there was generally just too much hype. There was nothing of quality anywhere in 2001.

2002 was a bit differen in that the discussion groups were actually discussing, debating and ultimately having fun instead of just a bunch of fan girls giggling and "drooling" over their favorite pretty boy or who was the "kawai'i/cutest" bishounen. Still 2002 is listed because the rest of the con was exactly the same as my 2001 experience.

S