Live Action

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

SteamTrooper

Live Action

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:09 pm

Have I missed a section of the forum? Or is it not relevant to this site?

What I was thinking about is Live Action Mech. I appreciate there isnt a wealth of material to draw upon but surely this would make the task all the easier.

My sugestions -

`Robot Jox` - Staurt Gordon/dir - a great standup knockdown fight with model work a go go.

` I Love Maria` - Pioneer 1 - he is darned big

I suppose `Crash and Burn` - not so hot but still got one in.

`Gunhed`

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:08 pm

At this point I'd say live-action mecha shows fall into "Other." I enjoyed the Gunhead movie but felt so-so after watching Robot Jox in the theater a while ago.

I don't have a lot of scan-able materials for this site from live action movies but I'd consider a section if someone had some materials to contribute.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Kuruni

Mine...

Post by Kuruni » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:19 pm

Old but still good? :D

http://www.japanhero.com/tokusatsu%20im ... robo-1.htm
Giant Robo (1967 - later become anime OVA)

http://www.japanhero.com/tokusatsu%20im ... baron3.htm
Super Robot Red Baron (1973)

http://www.japanhero.com/tokusatsu%20images/baron1.htm
Super Robot Mach Baron (1974)

http://www.japanhero.com/tokusatsu%20im ... sujin1.htm
Daitetsujin 17 (1977)

http://www.japanhero.com/tokusatsu%20im ... azuki2.htm
Tetsukouki Mikazuki (2000)

"Super Robot" genre-Tokusatsu are rare now. But since they are merge with other genre like Metal Hero and Super Sentai, so we aren't really miss them. :D
Justice will never lose!

SteamTrooper

Other?

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:13 pm

Hi Tach - do you mean by Other it should be posted elsewhere? - sorry I was just opening a topic of conversation - oops! - could you move these in that case?

You realy went to see Robot Jox recently? - I have been after a copy of it on DVD since my Video version got destroyed in a fire some years ago - and now you tell me youve seen it at the cinema - I am so green right now. I used to love it but then maybe time has coloured my memory?

Wow Kuruni - I had completely forgotten about Giant Robo - seriously man that is a blast from the past.

Never heard of the Tetsukouki Mikazuki (2000) but be sure I shall seek it out - it looks incredible from the pics - have you seen Pioneer in `I Love Maria` - its the mech that pretends its a skyscraper kind of.

Heard of Mechanical Violator Hakaider? Ok so the star is cool but not a Mech - but I think the Bad guy after he transforms would fall into Mechs ville? NO?

Hopefully we arent going to go down the whole Power Rangers route now are we :roll: and as much as I love him/her NO Godzilla ie - Mecha this and thats... tee hee - Ok go on then. :D

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Hi Tach - do you mean by Other it should be posted elsewhere? - sorry I was just opening a topic of conversation - oops! - could you move these in that case?
Heh. I may move this topic to the Other forum but don't be nervous about posting in the wrong place. I try to run this message board lightly so that everyone is comfortable.

I LOVE Godzilla movies. Mecha Godzilla makes it possible to discuss Godzilla movies here at Gears Online. :D

Xavadis

Post by Xavadis » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:10 am

I think it is only a matter of time now before Gunadm has a totally CG series. Things have gotten better since G-Savior, and there is such a move to CG now. Sky Captain and A Shark's Tale are 2 examples of the torch being passed to CG, and I think the CG mecha in the upcoming Eva movie are gonna be pretty incredible. I dont think it is a question of the technology now, I think the challenge is finding directors who are familiar enough with CG and how to fuse it with live action in a seamless way. That will be the main obstacle to having a GREAT CG Gundam series, or any CG mecha movie/tv show.

X

SteamTrooper

Mecha this n thats...

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:07 am

Hey! dont stop at Mecha-Godzilla - there are plenty of other Mecha`s in that world - dont forget the little mole machine transformer one (ill let you find the name - tee hee) and Ghidora and .... the list realy does go on you know.

Also good news (least for me) they are resurecting the king/queen of monsters again - Toho have decided he/she is just to cool to die and they are or have made another - the last ones I bought on DVD where around 2000/2001 but the `Zilla` will live again - crikey the hairs on my neck are rising (like the crest) just typing this. I believe a WOOT! is in order. :D

Adam

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:55 pm

Yeah, the CG mecha movies/show are definitely coming. Seed is selling well and G Savior didn't but I don't think that will be much of a deterant for CG Gundam series.

Daishikaze

Re: Mecha this n thats...

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:32 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:Hey! dont stop at Mecha-Godzilla - there are plenty of other Mecha`s in that world - dont forget the little mole machine transformer one (ill let you find the name - tee hee)

You mean Mogera?( I think thats how it was spelled). strangely, Mogera was actually a revamp of another monster of the same name, from an old movie called "The Mysterians", except I think THAT Mogera was a living creature.

SteamTrooper

Mogera

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:00 pm

Thats the guy...

Now what was it it stood for again? somthing like `Mobile Operated Godzilla Expert (go figure?) Robo Aeor-Type` - I think one of those words is wrong maybe.

Dai - do you have a link or any more info about the other thing it was based on maybe? - would be much appreciated.

Also cant wait to see some decent CG Mech series - must go look at those sites gain :D .

Adam

Daishikaze

Re: Mogera

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:28 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:Thats the guy...

Now what was it it stood for again? somthing like `Mobile Operated Godzilla Expert (go figure?) Robo Aeor-Type` - I think one of those words is wrong maybe.

Dai - do you have a link or any more info about the other thing it was based on maybe? - would be much appreciated.

Also cant wait to see some decent CG Mech series - must go look at those sites gain :D .

Adam

http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/m/mysterians.html

Here is a review for the Mysterians that I found

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:52 pm

Cheers for that - sorry about delay in thnx - I was thinking up new live action references.

K got one - cant think of title and its only a short but -

Peter Jackson short - a rocker and a hippy (I think-longtime no see) - having a musical debate? which ends in one of them transforming his stacks n shack into a giant robot killing machine - anyone recall its title?