FSS fanart : CG Phantom

Share your work with the online community

Moderator: kosh

Falk

FSS fanart : CG Phantom

Post by Falk » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:44 pm

Plop^^, I create this topic, and I'll update it when some more work will be done.

At first I didn't plan to talk about it until I'm sure I'll finish it, cuz' I rarely finish anything :wink: I like modelling a lot, but when it starts to take shape, I often feel something like "yeah it's okay, oh well I know how it woul look at the end (and test rendering times are awfully looooong), so lets start something else", but as I said, this time I have the parts of the MH on my desk, so it's way easier to model it. I don't have to spend way too much time to think how big this part should be, how it should be placed and blablablah modifying everything every 2 days.
I've experienced it already, working with good and accurate blueprint is 50% of modelling work when you're doing an inert object (well non-organic), like a car, or in this case, an MH.

I reply to Sheizzel here, well I use the one you don't use, 3DS Max^^. Are you working professionnally in 3D ? It's still a hobby for me more than a profession (mostly cuz' I don't make money with it for now), though I want it to be my profession, just that I have many CG projects with friends so it's taking time to start, as for now, there's no money and any short movie requires a lot of time XD.

So here's the beast, the render is made by a friend with Mental Ray, it uses something called "SSS" (for "sub-surface scattering"), which recreates the soft transparency of the material like when you put your hand on top of a flashlight, which is good for a resin kit^^ :

And here's a (crap) render of the work done so far.
Shoulder's shape is okay, but I still need to add all the ribs on it (as well as on the skirt armor plates), and on such rounded and smooth surfaces, it's not an easy task with the modelling method I use. But I'm a warrior, I don't fear anything :P
I have to do the belly, but I'm trying different methods. Using a bump map may not be enough detailed and sharp, and I also have to think of method that would work well if I try to animate it (then again, some hard work in sight to make the knees joints functional).
The whole belt/pelvis parts were really boring, not the most exiting parts to built.

Oh yeah and it's got holes on the front head^^, just that I have many faces on a side and really few on the other side, so it's hard to connect everything together without creating artifacts on the smooth surfaces.
I'll handle that later...

I'm pretty happy with it, hope you'll like it too^^

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:18 pm

That is some really nice work. I hope you have a chance to finish it!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:27 pm

Falk wrote:And here's a (crap) render[/url] of the work done so far.
Not at all crap! That is AWESOME!!!!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:50 pm

Meh.... you call tat crap?!! LOL...

That's really an awesome piece of work!! I'd like to see what other stuff u have :wink:
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:05 pm

Thanks, well when I said crap, I mean the render specifically.
That's just some basic materials with (too much) reflection on it, the lightning isn't good, you can't see the parts well and I pushed the contrast too far, everything is red or grey, while on the resin-like render, you can clearly see the limits between the different parts.
Well I say that cuz' now with advanced renderers we can achieve photorealism, or at least something not far from (though actually I don't know if I'll try to get a photorealistic render for this one).

(About some other works, well it looks like my account at my previous ISP has finally been erased, so my renders of a Diablo and a Skyline are not on the net anymore)

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:17 am

very yummy! :shock: :D I'm more or less working in MAX, but I am no where near this good!! (and I rarely have the time anymore...)

Actually for a WIP render it's really good. It shows the details of the geometry nicely.

Beware of using geometry in the abdomen area, you'll end up with a huge file, but for very little additional value. Try adding a specular map with gradients to the bump map. It will emphasize the bump map.

I'm not sure that sss is appropriate for the phantom. It would definitely be appropriate for the LED or the Mighty Series armor, if set for a relatively deep penetration.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:23 am

To quote NEO of The Matrix:

"Whoah"
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:14 pm

Thanks again^^

Well I don't worry that much about the polycount, it's a high-rez model so I guess it'll count at least 700K faces.

I'll have to try the specular map with gradient as you said, though I'm not sure just a bump map will be enough for relatively close shots.

SSS looks good to simulate an unpainted resin kit^^. Of course I won't push it too much as for a semi-transparent MH.

For those who use Max here, the Max 7 demo is out :P
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/004 ... 8302a80e-3
With a lot of very good new features :
-turbosmooth (a sort of mini meshsmooth, with way less parameters, but still theusefull ones, and way faster)
-skin morph (gives the ability to simulate the shape of a biceps when moving an arm, contrary to the crap deformations we were used too :/, we awaited this one for a while^^)
-edit poly modifier, yeah ! (edit poly was great, but it's better as a modifier)
-SSS material, 'hope it works well
-character studio 4, totally integrated in Max now, looks way better than before (*couch*well it couldn't really be worse in fact*cough*), compatible with reactor
-etc etc

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:24 pm

Nice one Falk :D

How about some more renders of your beauty?

Adam

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:13 pm

Héhé m'kay^^, a few more renders, this time with the shoulder armor (unfinished), some from the back, but not much more as I have to work on some 2D stuff. I added some brass sticks to simulate a resin kit^^.

The SSS material from Max 7 is great, but a bit hard to set up. A lot of parameters (front scatter diffuse color, front scatter diffuse weight, front scatter diffuse radius, back scatter diffuse color, back scatter diffuse weight, back scatter diffuse radius and more...), and some are very sensitive, from 0.5 to 1 (while it usually goes from 0 to 100 (or more), not counting the possible negative values), the render is totally different, quite boring :|
The help file says everything about the code, but doesn't say clearly what IS what :/

It's hard to set up, cuz' backlights generate SSS, while frontlights attenuate it. So you've got to find the good set up between seeing the model and having no SSS, or having a lot of SSS but the outline of the model :| Of course changing one parameter often affects the whole thing and you then have got to readjust the whole parameters...

I've just spend last day's afternoon tweaking it, yeah... -_- (that's why I like modeling so much, it's WYSIWYG, not WYSIC, for "what you is crap" :þ)
One of those "big" renders takes about 6-10 minutes to complete if I want a good quality in full resolution (700*1000, I shrunk it for the forum) :(
I want a bi-pro ! XD (my friend's got one with hyperthreading, so each 2.8Ghz PIV splits its capacities in 2, so it's almost 4 times faster than my 1.4Ghz athlon).

Concerning the back, it lacks a few lines. I don't think I'll model it, I'll do it with a bump map (I have to put my urge of fighting with polygons aside^^).
I'm still wondering about the shoulders' lines. Shoulders may be visible on close shots, but modelling lines on such a smooth curved surface won't be fun.

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:10 am

:shock: 8)
wow! this is just amazing!

BTW, save your self the trouble, and do the mesh first, then play with the materials afterwards....you may need more than one sss material to make the render look reasonable.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:29 am

Fantastic!

I'm wondering what one can do using this tool to simulate the LED's "Light Emitting" transparent armor...
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:54 pm

Meeeeh, I'm working on the Phantom arms right now (as well as doing a bit touch up, he's got no holes in the fronthead anymore^^), and looking at it over and over I just realized the arms are different :| .

Anyone noticed it too ?
Well at list it's different on the Volks resin kit, not much visible in Smokewalls.
If you look closely at some kit pictures, look at the left arm (the one without the sword), the by-pass cables go from the wrist to the elbow, where they attach "you don't really know how", while on the right arm they end on a well visible part.

This is boring, first cuz' I'll have to work on some more pieces :P , and also cuz' it's hard figuring out how the whole thing moves. It's supposed to be as movable as a human so I'd like (well I hope) it can.
If it's sure the head may not move that much (with the by-pass cables hanging from the "ears") I hope the arms and legs will move decently, I still have to look at the add-on part of the Phantom holding hiw sword on the shoulder, but it looks like the sculptor took some liberty with the way it should really move.

Here's the last render I did, still with holes on the head, but with the torso accordeon armor. (big pic, 1400*1000 or something^^)

Several SSS materials ? Mmh yup' maybe(meeeh, I prefer the modelling than tweaking material over and over again XD).

Concerning the LED's armor, doing it really well (transluscent, light-emitting) would be a good "material-challenge" (as well as "render-time challenge :roll: ) The main problem with transluscent armor is that you have to do all the under-armor parts for it to look good, and that really is the least-exiting parts to model :| .
Last edited by Falk on Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:52 pm

Great work! Keep us posted as your model continues to take shape.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:40 pm

Cor Blimey!!! :shock: Falk how about one or two pics of your other work? I cannot imagine that you havent got a very well paid job waiting for you in the realm of CG modelling.