Gundam Age

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gundam Age

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:05 pm

The first episode of Gundam Age is out. Has anyone seen it? Any good?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

levrin

Re: Gundam Age

Post by levrin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:52 pm

Seen two episodes now. It's decent so far, but it's clear that pulling a younger audience into the Gundam franchise is a higher priority than appealing to the existing fanbase. Level 5's character designs lend themselves better to portraying archetypes rather than individuals, so their actions tend to be predictable. Similarly, they're hitting the same Gundam tropes that always come up in the beginning: colony being attacked and evacuation with brand-new battleship, Gundam is the only thing that can fight back. Robot designs are a mixed bag; the Gundam looks like a Gundam and the GM-equivalents are rather bland, but the Unknown Enemy units are more stylized, though they feel a little too much like Super Robot Wars enemies to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the UE turn out to be humans, but since the 00 movie already set a precedent for aliens in Gundam, I could be wrong. The only thing that really gets to me about Gundam AGE is the AGE System, which can apparently fabricate equipment and upgrade parts for the Gundam on-demand -- if you have a machine that can make anything you need, then why don't you have an entire fleet of Gundams by now?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:59 am

You've got me curious about the show. I should set aside some time to download and watch the first episode.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:37 am

The thing to keep in mind with this show is that it's clearly aimed at a younger audience, and consequently tend to drift more towards the Super Robot side of the Real Robot/Super Robot scale than most Gundam shows. Internal consistency in the science isn't going to be a big priority here, which will no doubt annoy the hardcore UC fans to no end. I also suspect the AGE System will become something of a Deus Ex Machina device, conveniently spitting out upgrades whenever the main character starts losing. In just the second episode it's already spit out a, well, rifled beam rifle that somehow spins the beam for greater penetration. Considering that the planning for the show says that the evolving Gundam gets passed down to the main character's son and then grandson over the course of the story, it's probably going to be getting upgrades almost constantly.