Project Suggestion: All Mecha Database

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Grebo Guru

Project Suggestion: All Mecha Database

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:15 pm

Hey all,

I've been thinking... This site, being all about mecha, should really have a database of all the mecha sources we can think of. What Im suggesting here is that we compile nothing less than a complete database of ALL the mecha anime, manga, video games, RPGs, and whatever else we can come up with! Rudimentary info like start dates, number of episodes, etc would probably be good too.

What do you guys say?

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:57 pm

I agree, if it won't be too much trouble.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:20 pm

Hmmm...an ambitious project, to say the least. Sounds cool though. I wonder what Tachyon thinks?
Shinei!

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:46 pm

Luckily, between B-Club issue #100, the View Broadly Super Robots Book, the All Video Games Robots Encyclopedia book, and this page:

http://www.yk.rim.or.jp/~akira_t/rbdble/crnloge.htm

A lot of the work has already been done for us. Its just a matter of compiling it.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:20 pm

An ambitious project indeed. Yet, with a use-able interface it might be a handy resource for mecha fans.

Looks like an interesting MySQL/PHP project. I'd like to have a good amount of help, though. I think the first step is compiling a list of what pieces of data we want to know about each mecha thing. For example:

:arrow: manga? TV show? movie? video game? combination?
:arrow: how are hierarchies handled? Nadesico would be approached differently than, say, "Gundam"
:arrow: release date (plus how to catalog release dates when it's a video game series and an anime series at the same time)

Once we know what info we want to have we can start to lay out database tables.

Logo graphics seems like a good thing to try and obtain.

There's no way I'd approach this as an HTML project. Making changes on umpteen zillion pages on a weekly basis would drive me nuts. I'd like to work with some researchers/fact finders and set up a system. Maybe some login tools for volunteer staff to keep the database growing.

What does everyone else think?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:36 pm

Well, I know literally nothing about MySQL/PHP coding, and verrrry little even about HTML... But Id love to be involved in gathering the data for you!

kosh

Post by kosh » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:56 pm

I like the idea very much,I don't know much about coding either but I would help with research and data collection.With my daughter back in school I have more free time to do things that I enjoy on the computer and this would be a great project,just let me know what data you need about which shows.
Do you understand?

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:47 am

Just when I thought I could get away from all of my database projects at work, suddenly they start to pop up here.... :o

I have some skills in MS-Access, but not the other web-based programs mentioned above.

Waterslayer

Post by Waterslayer » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:53 pm

Over at the MMFT ( http://mmft.apheliondesign.net ) we've had a bit of a database beginning in the forums. It's really not much, more design resources than a mecha database...

When the idea was brought up, there was a suggestion that a wiki should be implemented. It's a database that builds itself, so I suggest checking that out.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:35 am

I say we do it. With my current state of affairs I won't be able to do much on the project for a week or 2 but we need that time anyways to discuss what info the database will hold.

It's good to remove potential bottlenecks in the design phase. The biggest bottleneck I can see is me. I think the best approach is, after I've set up the database tables, I'll make a Web interface so that those of you who sign up for the project can enter info directly. Grebo, since you suggested this project, would you be willing to take the "quality control" role and ensure that other people's entries are free of errors?

So, what info should the database hold? Take a moment to imagine a site visitor opening a page to view info. What does the visitor see? What info is displayed on that page? What links are there to click on? What options would the search tools have?

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:07 am

Yikes, sounds like a big responsibility. I shall do my best, sir! (snaps to a smart salute)

SteamTrooper

Help is at hand

Post by SteamTrooper » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:42 pm

Count me in on the data capture malarkey... (thanks to Guru)

Maybe you could portion off the info to be gathered - say a-d etc..

Adam
Last edited by SteamTrooper on Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grebo Guru

Re: Help is at hand

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:56 pm

Tachyon wrote:So, what info should the database hold? What does the visitor see? What info is displayed on that page? What links are there to click on? What options would the search tools have?
I think the DB should be searchable by series title, year of release, and venue (game, tv, etc.).

Oh, and SteamTrooper, it's "malarkey", not "mallarchy".

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:47 pm

My supervisor is taking forever to get back to me today so I engaged in some idle speculation. I think a database like this would have 2 types of pages: content pages and directory pages. Char's Counterattack (the movie) is an example of a content page. "Gundam" is an example of a directory page. Char's Counterattack would be another example of a directory page as it is both a movie and a novel.

Below are some pieces of info that these pages could contain. The ones in parentheses would only show up on some content pages.

CONTENT PAGE
logo graphic
title
Japanese title
other titles
venue -- (TV show/OAV/novel/movie/manga/video game/other)
release date
(end date)
# of episodes/volumes
(cast)
(crew)
(director)
(studio)
(writer)
(artists)
Gears link
other links
comments

DIRECTORY PAGE
venue #1 -- TV show ~title~
venue #2 -- TV show ~title~
venue #3 -- manga ~title~

What do you guys think?

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:34 am

I think this project may be snowballing out of control. What you're describing would be a TON of work!