FSS dying?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

John F. Moscato

FSS dying?

Post by John F. Moscato » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:30 pm

I've noticed an unsettling trend in the FSS kit market lately. Whereas a few years ago, there used to be a multitude of kits released every year, it seems like in 2004, things have practically come to a standstill: WSC doesn't seem to be producing anything new... The Black Knight was released almost a year ago. Volks barely has 2 FSS kits listed as "available" on their site, seeming more content to concentrate on those creepy doll toys, and I think that Kaiyodo has dropped the FSS liscence alltogether.

Mind you, Wave is planning to re-hash a 1/100 LED in translucent plastic, it's hardly a new-tooled item. Could this be the beginning of the end for the extravagantly-priced FSS garage kits?
John F. Moscato

Re: FSS dying?

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:08 pm

I don't think things are that bad.

WSC has their Prominence in the works. And WSC is traditionally slow with their releases.

Silicon Tribe is slowly beginning to get interesting... they just released a 'light armor' LED V3 and a Phantom, and re-released their Engage Sr1, along with a Sr1 variation. ST still has issues with scale and proportion, but at least they are out there competing in the marketplace. Perhaps ST will be a real force to be reckoned with one day.

Wave still continues to release new 1/144 resins of current designs on a decent basis... not that I'd want 1/144 of course. But I guess some people do.

Tani is still out there... somewhere... as evidenced by the pending release of his 1/144 KOG V3. Remains to be seen if it will be distributed by Kaiyodo or not...

The real question mark here is Volks. They have been pretty quiet lately, ever since the release of their Phantom. I hope that they have some stuff in the works... I'd really like to see a Siren R, Calvary R, Heavy Cross, etc from them.

I think part of the problem is that Volks released a ton of really high priced kits in short succession. LED V3, KOG V3, KOG AT V3, LED Napalm...

John F. Moscato wrote:I've noticed an unsettling trend in the FSS kit market lately. Whereas a few years ago, there used to be a multitude of kits released every year, it seems like in 2004, things have practically come to a standstill: WSC doesn't seem to be producing anything new... The Black Knight was released almost a year ago. Volks barely has 2 FSS kits listed as "available" on their site, seeming more content to concentrate on those creepy doll toys, and I think that Kaiyodo has dropped the FSS liscence alltogether.

Mind you, Wave is planning to re-hash a 1/100 LED in translucent plastic, it's hardly a new-tooled item. Could this be the beginning of the end for the extravagantly-priced FSS garage kits?

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:09 pm

Sorry, that last post was me, I forgot to log in. :P

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:57 am

Although Silicon Tribe had a few kits at FAC, those kits didn't get me all too excited. It's hard to consider them as a force if they only get to bring out new and old kits in a special event.

Volks does produce Super Robot and Figures besides FSS MHs. Still, it has been too long since Phantom was release, especially when Volks has a team of sculptors. I'm guessing they have something going on for upcoming big event and sticking with The Smoke Walls theme.

Indeed, WSC is slow and who can blame Ikushima? I hope Ikushima can do well with his Prominence to keep him in the game.

Tani's KOG will be release since pre-orders were taken at FAC but damn, 50000yen...

For some that have not seen this, pictures from FAC at WF 2004 Summer http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~shirowan/fac2004/fac1.htm .

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:35 am

That's why I said perhaps 'one day' :P
Sheizzel wrote:Although Silicon Tribe had a few kits at FAC, those kits didn't get me all too excited. It's hard to consider them as a force if they only get to bring out new and old kits in a special event.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:52 am

John F. Moscato wrote:Volks barely has 2 FSS kits listed as "available" on their site, seeming more content to concentrate on those creepy doll toys
Those creepy doll toys... Taken from the Volks site:

"This doll is like a rebirth of your heart and subconscious. It is your dearest partner, growing with you day by day and sharing endless time with you. It is an understanding partner, conversing with those who are aware of its magic. The times with your doll are wonderful because they reach the true you!"

That's just plain un-nerving, bordering on kinky, especially with that pale skin and those eyes looking at you... And FARK... those things are not cheap.

Anyway, getting back on topic. Last year was pretty quiet for new kits too :( Nearly the entire back-catalogue of WSC is available from HLJ, so it looks like Ikushima is resting on his laurels, so to speak. I wish WSC would release some new stuff, even if it is not cutting-edge new. An updated version of his old A-Toll (released by volkd) would be nice, for a start.

As for Volks, I am very surprised that there has only been the Phantom released from the Smoke Walls designs. I expected at least a couple of others by now.

I suppose less new kits means a chance to make that built:unbuilt kit ratio look a little less embarressing.

And as for Tani's new KOG... Y50000 :shock: Does it come with a free Yen Xing or something?!?

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:34 pm

Dolls are a pretty common thing, no? No surprise that there are high-end dolls for people with the money. My sister wanted one actually... and plans to get one someday when she has enough spare $$$.

As for WSC, I'd say about half the back-catalog is available at HLJ... certain kits I want to get originals of are sadly OOP (such as Terror Mirage, Junchoon). I, also, would love to see a new WSC A Toll. The old one is nice and all, but it does show its age in certain areas. And the MM is far from perfect as well.

As for Volks, I hope they have a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes.. and will soon surprise us with some great releases.

I can't imagine why that 1/144 KOG V3 is so expensive...
elemental wrote:Those creepy doll toys... Taken from the Volks site:

"This doll is like a rebirth of your heart and subconscious. It is your dearest partner, growing with you day by day and sharing endless time with you. It is an understanding partner, conversing with those who are aware of its magic. The times with your doll are wonderful because they reach the true you!"

That's just plain un-nerving, bordering on kinky, especially with that pale skin and those eyes looking at you... And FARK... those things are not cheap.

Anyway, getting back on topic. Last year was pretty quiet for new kits too :( Nearly the entire back-catalogue of WSC is available from HLJ, so it looks like Ikushima is resting on his laurels, so to speak. I wish WSC would release some new stuff, even if it is not cutting-edge new. An updated version of his old A-Toll (released by volkd) would be nice, for a start.

As for Volks, I am very surprised that there has only been the Phantom released from the Smoke Walls designs. I expected at least a couple of others by now.

I suppose less new kits means a chance to make that built:unbuilt kit ratio look a little less embarressing.

And as for Tani's new KOG... Y50000 :shock: Does it come with a free Yen Xing or something?!?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:44 pm

KOG wrote:That's why I said perhaps 'one day' :P
Sheizzel wrote:Although Silicon Tribe had a few kits at FAC, those kits didn't get me all too excited. It's hard to consider them as a force if they only get to bring out new and old kits in a special event.
I don't think there's that One day, I really do think so...Their kits aren't good enough to compete with Volks, maybe not good enough to even beat WSC.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:52 pm

That Tani V3 is rediculous, the kit isn't even clear...I know the Tani name does add a lot of interest but damn, what is a person getting when buying this kit other than a 1/144 kit?

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:08 pm

Sheizzel wrote:That Tani V3 is rediculous, the kit isn't even clear...I know the Tani name does add a lot of interest but damn, what is a person getting when buying this kit other than a 1/144 kit?
Well, it looks like it has a lot more parts than any other 1/144... even just the arm seems to be over a dozen pieces... I wonder why Tani decided to make it this way...

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:11 pm

Well, some kits aren't good, sure. But the Schpeltor they did a long while back is really good, IMO. Definitely a hell of a lot better than the Volks MM Schpeltor Lonn w/ Buster. In fact, I like the ST/Kaiyodo Schpeltor almost as much as WSC.

And I guess there are some people who like the ST LED V3 more than the Volks...

As for me, I'd prefer to wait and see... see what kind of kits they do in the future.
Sheizzel wrote:I don't think there's that One day, I really do think so...Their kits aren't good enough to compete with Volks, maybe not good enough to even beat WSC.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:47 pm

KOG wrote:
Sheizzel wrote:That Tani V3 is rediculous, the kit isn't even clear...I know the Tani name does add a lot of interest but damn, what is a person getting when buying this kit other than a 1/144 kit?
Well, it looks like it has a lot more parts than any other 1/144... even just the arm seems to be over a dozen pieces... I wonder why Tani decided to make it this way...
Heard it was more than 300+ parts, still, it all adds up to a 1/144...

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:54 pm

KOG wrote:Well, some kits aren't good, sure. But the Schpeltor they did a long while back is really good, IMO. Definitely a hell of a lot better than the Volks MM Schpeltor Lonn w/ Buster. In fact, I like the ST/Kaiyodo Schpeltor almost as much as WSC.

And I guess there are some people who like the ST LED V3 more than the Volks...

As for me, I'd prefer to wait and see... see what kind of kits they do in the future.
Sheizzel wrote:I don't think there's that One day, I really do think so...Their kits aren't good enough to compete with Volks, maybe not good enough to even beat WSC.
I do admit Nishiyma's Schpeltor w/Buster looked nice, I like his new LED as well. With that said, that's two kits in many years...I just don't see it happening for ST if Nishiyma sticks to his styling. He detailing is good enough, but his problem is with proportioning, to me that's more important than detailing.

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:38 pm

Mmm... there's definitely proportion issues with Phantom. Which is strange... since the Schpeltor had great proportions. Now that I think about it though, wasn't the ST Hydra Mirage pretty good as well? Not as perfect as the Volks, but still not bad.

So I guess it's primarily the Phantom which looks really 'off'.
Sheizzel wrote:I do admit Nishiyma's Schpeltor w/Buster looked nice, I like his new LED as well. With that said, that's two kits in many years...I just don't see it happening for ST if Nishiyma sticks to his styling. He detailing is good enough, but his problem is with proportioning, to me that's more important than detailing.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:52 pm

Yeah, Hydra was his too, which didn't look too bad. His KOG and AT has some problems.

The problem with ST as I was saying, if they stick to only releasing kits in events, people will soon forget about ST. If he didn't bring out the SR-1 at FAC, people would forget he did one previously and an Empress.