Characters 11 Smoke Walls

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:43 am

Mave1 wrote:Pretty good idea...but what about copyright and that legal yadda-yadda?

Maybe its not such a big deal since this site is already hosting scans of the manga... :roll:
Manga scans and translations of background materials have been a big thing on the web for a very long time now. There's no way for the original authors to stop it, besides, its not copywrite infringement if its not being sold or a profit being made on it somehow (like people charging to view the contents of the website etc) as long as the original source is credited (i.e. "Copywrite Mamorou Nagano and Toyspress Inc" so on and so forth)
Shinei!

ro3159

Post by ro3159 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:23 am

Can it be justifiable just because it is not the commercial purpose? If the translation is infringed, I will erased it.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:21 am

ro3159 wrote:Can it be justifiable just because it is not the commercial purpose? If the translation is infringed, I will erased it.
Naw, nothing to worry about. I think there would only (possibly) be a problem if they intended to translate Smoke Walls into english. You're efforts can be considered merely a "guide" for those who do not read Japanese so they can follow along in their books. No infringement there at all. As long as you do not sell it, everythings fine.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:25 am

Falk wrote:Do you think it would be useful if I scan Smoke Walls to edit the pages ?
Hmmm, maybe.

That might be considered copywrite infringement. A "translation guide" is one thing (and not at all considered infringement. hundreds, if not thousands, of these things exist for japanese videogames) but to put up the translation and scans of the article might be borderline...
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:29 pm

Huhu yup', I didn't even thought about that :roll: :wink: maybe cuz' the character power chart was uploaded recently^^

On one side, there are thousands of translated manga scans on the web, on the other side, it's never legal :wink: (even if it'll never ever cross the japanese borders).

But if it may be a problem for a manga wwhich could later be translated and published, for now there's not any chance that we ever see Smoke Walls (and other FSS artbooks) in english. More globally, very few artbooks are translated, so I guess the oversea market is really limited, mostly to hard core fans who would buy the book whether or not they have scans of it on the computer. I myself have the Knightflags scans but I still want to buy it (though the P&P are bloody expensive for this book and it really is a problem).
Seeing that Volks don't even has the rights to sell their resin kit out of japan let me think the oversea market isn't that much important.

Well it's mostly to make it easier which word goes with which page, and not having to look at the screen and at the book again and again.

If I scan it I can also upload it on my webspace for a few days, so everyone on the board takes it, then remove it.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:12 pm

Falk wrote:Huhu yup', I didn't even thought about that :roll: :wink: maybe cuz' the character power chart was uploaded recently^^
who?!! *looks around* :roll:
Falk wrote:Well it's mostly to make it easier which word goes with which page, and not having to look at the screen and at the book again and again.

If I scan it I can also upload it on my webspace for a few days, so everyone on the board takes it, then remove it.
yea, gotta agree its easier to read everything directly from the pic.

What about scanning pictures and posting them up? Strictly speaking, the act of posting up of mecha pics is already an inflingement of copyright, but every fansite is doing that! Except the old Gundam Project, Mark draws everything himself, but he's still copying a design. That still an infringement of the Copyright Act! :wink:

It's not like the webmaster profit anything out of it. Instead, we help strengthen the fan base, which in turns helps them in sales. IMHO, dont get too worried over it. Cant say the same for the NT Scans tho. :?

If Tachyon dont feel good about it, then we can do it Falk's way - a temp storage. :wink:

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:15 am

Rubel Colus wrote:

It's not like the webmaster profit anything out of it. Instead, we help strengthen the fan base, which in turns helps them in sales. IMHO, dont get too worried over it. Cant say the same for the NT Scans tho. :?

If Tachyon dont feel good about it, then we can do it Falk's way - a temp storage. :wink:
Don't worry about it. Most publishers don't have a problem with this kinda thing because it does tend to bring more business their way. They only get angry if the website is making money and they aren't getting their cut...(Remember Napster? That was all about the money)

ro3159

Post by ro3159 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:54 pm

OK, I will translate it from Japanese to ENglish. But I will not upload any images.
Thank you.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:03 pm

ro3159 wrote:OK, I will translate it from Japanese to ENglish. But I will not upload any images.
Thank you.
Thank you!

We really do appreciate your efforts.

ro3159

The Siren of the Fillmore is used in construction drawing

Post by ro3159 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:01 pm

It didn't announce what structure the internal structure of MH has in an easy-to-understand and comprehensive way. Therefore, everybody are probably hard to understand specifically where the MH engine is, what meaning is frame and what the concept of joint is, etc.
This time, I give a explanation easily to understand categorizing the basic structure of MH by "Mainframe", "Joint and Sinew system", "Power system and management" and "Control system".
In a normal situation, the description has to start from the engine, which is a power system. But If I describe it on ahead, it is hard to understand "how MH is constructed?". Please read it as if making a plastic model.
If you read this, you will be able to understand where the cockpit is, how MH places the cockpit, how no armor MH is in state, why the fatima is in cockpit of the knight appearing in sixth story.
In addtion, The Siren of the Fillmore Empire is used in construction drawing.

The frame of MH=Keel
The one of words often to be heard about MH, it is "Frame". Frame is main bone in MH, it means robust and tough part like backbone, shoulders(shoulder blade and collar bone) that is attachment of both arms, hip brock supporting full weight and a lot of shock.
These big backbone, shoulder and hip brock are called "Frame", name generically "Ryukotsu", "Keel". It is same meaning the keel running through ship's bottom.
In MH, the state assembling joint and frame is called "Exoskeleton state(Setting frame)" It combines with armor, and Sopp should call it primary armor. In Japanese editon No.2, the Jagt Mirage iin the middle of assmbling is the state of primary armor. Therefore, his arms and legs is not in frame category.
MH's frame only means keel, and this keel's length decides MH size.
Hathha's Atoll and this Siren has most long and large keel, so called the MH having large frame. The keel's length is decided by each Might, so doesn't unified at all. Other way round, Engage is small and compact body because having very small keel.
Led mirage has a little large keel, but overall height is no difference with Engage. Because Led mirage large keel houses two "twin ezlazer bypath".
It can't said plain that having largh frame is making tall MH.

Setting of frame ~Cheetah type and Lion type
Last edited by ro3159 on Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:35 am

I would request that others refrain from posting in this section for a little while so that ro3159 can complete his translation of the Internal Structure of MH article.

Keep at it R.O.!
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:47 pm

Setting of Frame: Cheetah type and Lion type.

I'm intrigued by this. Does this mean that there are two basic types of MH's. Sleek and fast MH's (Cheetah type) like the Phantom or LED B4 and Powerful MH's (Lion type) like the Arcana Siren and Helmine...

Interesting indeed.
Shinei!