Western Anime "Experts"

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Western Anime "Experts"

Post by Tachyon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:33 pm

I've tried a few times to find reviewers or article writers online who can discuss anime well but too often I find English speakers with little knowledge of anime. Often, they haven't even seen any anime from before 2000. Are there other people who have noticed this or is it just me? Have any of you found good online writers on the subject of anime? It would be nice to find someone with a good, solid grounding in sci-fi anime whose work I could follow.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Mr March

Re: Western Anime "Experts"

Post by Mr March » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:20 am

John of AnimeNation is by far the best English commentator on the subject of anime that I have ever met outside of academia. John's columns are both interesting and insightful, spanning many broad subjects about anime from individual shows and legalities to insights on the industry and the people that create the products. While John may be an enthusiastic fan and supporter of anime, his commentary is surprisingly objective and easily approaches the level of the learned professional. His work can be found here:

Ask John Blog on AnimeNation.net

I'd also recommend the folks at Anime News Network, since they often feature articles about both the foreign and domestic anime industries with some very insightful information you won't find in fan circles.