Walking/Running/Land Speed of a Mortar Headd

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Mr March

Walking/Running/Land Speed of a Mortar Headd

Post by Mr March » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:54 am

Just wondering about the walking/running/land speed of a mortar headd. I know we have seen fatima's running at 150 km/hr like in FSS Vol. 2 and I figure the mortar headds can match or exceed the capabilities of their own pilots (especially with 3.3 trillion horsepower behind them). But what of any figures for this speed? Has there ever been any rates for the mortar headds?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Re: Walking/Running/Land Speed of a Mortar Headd

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 am

Mr March wrote:Just wondering about the walking/running/land speed of a mortar headd. I know we have seen fatima's running at 150 km/hr like in FSS Vol. 2 and I figure the mortar headds can match or exceed the capabilities of their own pilots (especially with 3.3 trillion horsepower behind them). But what of any figures for this speed? Has there ever been any rates for the mortar headds?
Again, sorry for the late reply.

No, we don't have actual speed statistics for MH's other than the statement that they travel "faster than the speed of light" which is likely hyperbole. Either that or in reference to their ability to Teleport. What we do know is that while fatimas can run 120+kph, headdliners are even faster (upwards of 180kph or 111mph!). Now, consider that Mortar Headds exist to amplify the abilities of the pilot (and the fatima exists to amplify this even further) as you can imagine, the end result can get rather extraordinary.

We do however get some visual clues as to the speed of MH's in the pages of the manga itself. During Bughtama attack on Hathuhunt, MH's charge into battle at super speed and when the opposing forces finally clashed, the resulting shockwave wiped out a good portion of the capitol. It appears that MH's are capable at the very least of running (or hovering via ezlaser?) at near supersonic speeds. btw, for reference point, the speed of sound at sea level is 343 meters per second or 1,235Kph or 768mph.
Shinei!

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Yeah, I figured it was a given that the mortar headd could easily exceed the speed of the pilots. I just assumed there was a speed rating published somewhere, given how exhaustively the mortar headd LED Mirage has been documented in the The Five Star Stories manga. Nonetheless, you've provided an excellent description of the MH speed. I'll make note of it for my upcoming profile of the LED Mirage.

It also struck me just now that The Five Star Stories anime movie sets a benchmark for mortar headd maneuverability, reaction time and speed. The Knight of Gold is shown combating and defeating the Barunja in the time it takes the Devoncha's head to fall roughly 10 meters to the ground (9.81 meters per second). The Barunja is about 100 meters away when the battle begins, meaning it closed that distance between itself and the KOG in less than half a second and then got smashed by the KOG in the other half a second :)

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Mr March wrote:Yeah, I figured it was a given that the mortar headd could easily exceed the speed of the pilots. I just assumed there was a speed rating published somewhere, given how exhaustively the mortar headd LED Mirage has been documented in the The Five Star Stories manga. Nonetheless, you've provided an excellent description of the MH speed. I'll make note of it for my upcoming profile of the LED Mirage.
Yeah, I'm also surprised he's never mentioned the speed characteristics. Also it appears that there are some MH's built for power and others built for speed. In the Internal Structure of Mortar Headds article in Characters 11: Smoke Walls, Nagano describes two basic types of Mortar Headd chasis: Lion type (power?) and Cheetah type (Speed?). I think visually it is pretty easy to tell the difference between the two...
It also struck me just now that The Five Star Stories anime movie sets a benchmark for mortar headd maneuverability, reaction time and speed. The Knight of Gold is shown combating and defeating the Barunja in the time it takes the Devoncha's head to fall roughly 10 meters to the ground (9.81 meters per second). The Barunja is about 100 meters away when the battle begins, meaning it closed that distance between itself and the KOG in less than half a second and then got smashed by the KOG in the other half a second :)
Yes, indeed. That entire scene is done in super-slow-mo. If it wasn't, it would simply appear as a huge metallic blur :)
Shinei!

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I wasn't aware of the two lion/cheetah mortar headd frames, but I can certainly see the visual difference in one mortar headd design over another. Some look like really powerful and heavily armored knights, while others are more lithe and aerodynamic. Most seem to fall somewhere in between. Is there a English translated text of the Smoke Walls book you mentioned? I'd love to read it.