Scanning Woes

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scanning Woes

Post by Tachyon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 pm

For a long time I knew this day would come. As I sat down to examine my scannable pages to find the best Thunder Dragon and LED Dragon images I found that not only will I need to do 2 2-page spreads but I don't have a good LED dragon image. The one from Characters 7 has good colors and a white background but there's a strip down the center of the image that's missing due to poor printing. The LED Dragon image in FSS Designs 3 has poor colors and a light red background that will need to be removed. I guess that's why I've never seen FSS dragon images online.

Well, I can't let Nu Soard down after he typed up the dragon text profile so I'll have spend my evening on it and see if I can produce 2 images that are good enough to show online. Wish me luck, FSS fans. Oh, and what I'd like even more than luck is help finding good dragon images in the pages of FSS books. Art books, manga, whatever.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Mr March

Re: Scanning Woes

Post by Mr March » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:22 am

If you don't already know, I can offer some advice for erasing annoying mono-color backgrounds from scanned art work in Photoshop. This works for black and white and some color art.

- Before modifying the image in any way post-scan, work with the selection wand. Select the annoying mono-color background to be erased. More than likely this will result in a ridiculous patchwork selection path that looks like a mesh screen door. This is due to moiré pattern from printed pages and we can't get around it. So, we have to work with it.
- From there choose modify under the Select menu. Expand by one pixel. This should create an almost uniformly solid selection zone.
- Modify again, contract by one pixel. This should ensure the edges of the art work aren't being eroded by the selection path.
- Modify one more time and "smooth" by two pixels. This should ensure a smooth selection edge along the edge of the art work.
- Finally, press delete.

Most of the time this will result in a clean removal. There may be some residual clean up.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try when I get to the LED Dragon. Right now I'm knitting together the 2 halves of the Thunder Dragon.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 am

I finished the Thunder Dragon. I'm hoping I can start work on the LED Dragon tomorrow.