Any thoughts on the AVATAR mecha?

The hardsuits of Bubblegum Crisis, landmates of Appleseed, etc.

Moderator: kosh

Roadie

Any thoughts on the AVATAR mecha?

Post by Roadie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:33 am

http://gizmodo.com/5276750/mecha-bot-fr ... at-e3-expo

Seen there is the mecha that apparently plays a somewhat common role in James Cameron's new 3D epic AVATAR. While I don't hold out much hope for the plot (it sounds...not good), I figure I might give it a chance simply to see a VOTOMS/Blue Gender/Heavy Gear/applicable small mecha here stomping through the jungle.

Overall the design is a rip-off of a multitude of smaller mecha designs (no surprise there), which is not bad, and is lightyears better than the abortions of the Matrix. Although, to be fair, there really is not much innovation to be had I guess. Two arms, two legs, a pilot, a head. Shrug.

Although, once again, we have exposed pilots. WTH is with these designers? The whole point of the enclosed & armored cockpit is to protect the pilot. The head camera lets him see via what amounts to a periscope. But for some reason, Hollywood has to have exposed mecha pilots, probably to show people in there, but c'mon. A combat vehicle with an open or glass cockpit makes little sense. Might as well fight in a convertible.

Still, overall, it looks interesting, if somewhat uninspired.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any thoughts on the AVATAR mecha?

Post by Tachyon » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:54 am

It gets me interested in seeing the movie. I'll have to comment on this thread after I see the movie through.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Temjin

Post by Temjin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:54 pm

Over all I agree with you, not very inspiring, but I don't think there are much direct rip-off elements to it though.

Reminded me this one, not sure it's a good or bad thing. ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVwbUljGs3g

Sureiachan

Post by Sureiachan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 am

It reminds me of the mecha from the Matrix, but of course these Mecha aren't very inspiring as far as Mecha go, since the movie is more about the epicness of living amongst the trees and predators who desperately want to take a bite out of you.