First Post, some questions

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

SwordSaint

First Post, some questions

Post by SwordSaint » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:58 pm

I've been reading these forums and looking at the site for many many years now, and i just got downloading and reading the volumes of the manga that I dont have (basically everything besides English books 1 2 3 and 4) and I have a few questions. Some of these may be spoilers so.....yea.

1. In the bio on Kaien it states "When Kaien discovered that Queen was his "mother", he tried to kill Dr. Ballanche in his rage but was stopped by Mel Rince of the AKD Divers Guild (it’s said she cut both his arms off using the technique: Calvary Blade)." When does this happen? Did I miss it?

2. When does Kaien die? is it PAST book 27 and therefor I havent read it yet?

3. Lastly.....any plans on scanlations for past book 27?

I just get the feeling that im missing out on alot even though i read all the volumes straight through! Thanks alot in advance.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Re: First Post, some questions

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:57 am

SwordSaint wrote:I've been reading these forums and looking at the site for many many years now, and i just got downloading and reading the volumes of the manga that I dont have (basically everything besides English books 1 2 3 and 4) and I have a few questions. Some of these may be spoilers so.....yea.
Welcome!

1. In the bio on Kaien it states "When Kaien discovered that Queen was his "mother", he tried to kill Dr. Ballanche in his rage but was stopped by Mel Rince of the AKD Divers Guild (it’s said she cut both his arms off using the technique: Calvary Blade)." When does this happen? Did I miss it?
Yes. If you blink, you miss it. Its a very brief scene, of one of Ballanche's Fatima is talking about Amaterasu and how they both loved and feared him. There is a scene of Mel Rince standing over Kaien and both of Kaien's arms are lying on the ground. This is that incident referred to in the profile. Just a flashback. I don't remember which book off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you.
2. When does Kaien die? is it PAST book 27 and therefor I havent read it yet?
Yes, it happens in Japanese book 11. What would be English books 27, 28 and 29.
3. Lastly.....any plans on scanlations for past book 27?
I can't really answer that. All I can say is that I hope so. We just need people willing to work on the project. Things like that take time and people have lives and jobs, so its likely to be a slow project at best, but as long as it happens, thats the important thing.
I just get the feeling that im missing out on alot even though i read all the volumes straight through! Thanks alot in advance.
I can garuntee you that you don't know the half of it. There's so much going on "behind the scenes" in The Five Star Stories, it will take years for you to sort it all out. I've been into FSS for at least 15 years and "hardcore" for over 10, and I'm still constantly learning new stuff about the manga. Its absolute insanity.
Shinei!

Hel

Post by Hel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:36 am

as for book 28 in English as soon as i finish translation and editing (in around a year... unless someone help with it)

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:47 pm

SwordSaint wrote: 1. In the bio on Kaien it states "When Kaien discovered that Queen was his "mother", he tried to kill Dr. Ballanche in his rage but was stopped by Mel Rince of the AKD Divers Guild (it’s said she cut both his arms off using the technique: Calvary Blade)." When does this happen? Did I miss it?
Kaien did mention in the manga that he wanted to kill Chrome Ballanche but was stopped/defeated by Rince. I don't remember exactly which volume but if you search this forum, i think it was mentioned in that thread.

As for the exact technique used (i.e. Calvary Blade), this was described in the book "Characters 10: Knight Flags". It was also mentioned that Rince used the same technique on Bosjathfort during the Black Three attack on Float Temple. This sword technique requires a very strong knight and the use of diver power, so it is very very rarely seen. However, Depre will be able to execute it with the help of Magdall.

In JP vol 7, after Auge Arusquul was destroyed, there is a flashback scene where you can see Kaien's defeat by Rince.

SwordSaint wrote:2. When does Kaien die? is it PAST book 27 and therefor I havent read it yet?
Its in JP vol 11. The English volumes are up to 26 which is book 10 for the JP ver.
SwordSaint wrote:I just get the feeling that im missing out on alot even though i read all the volumes straight through!
Usually a new reader will need to read the manga several times over to catch some of the little details and to better understand the story. After that, you will need to read the "Characters" series or the latest "Designs" series of books (unfortunately they're all in japanese) to get the most behind-the-scenes descriptions, details and explanations of the FSS worlds.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

SwordSaint

Post by SwordSaint » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Yea, I remember Kaien stating his attempted killings of Ballanche in Eng. Book 14, page 10, which made me thing I missed out on something else. I have a copy of Knightflags, magnificient book, absolutely stunning. Which leads me to....
Am I correct in the assumption that out of the mighty series, only the Akatsuki Hime has appeared in the manga, while the Hydra Mirage and Mighty Babylon have only appeared in character / art books?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:29 am

SwordSaint wrote:Yea, I remember Kaien stating his attempted killings of Ballanche in Eng. Book 14, page 10, which made me thing I missed out on something else. I have a copy of Knightflags, magnificient book, absolutely stunning. Which leads me to....
Am I correct in the assumption that out of the mighty series, only the Akatsuki Hime has appeared in the manga, while the Hydra Mirage and Mighty Babylon have only appeared in character / art books?
You are correct sir. Only the Akatsuki Hime has appeared in the manga thus far, and then only at the beginning of volume 11 (Japanese). Neither the Hydra Mirage nore the Mighty Babiron have made an official appearance. Lets hope Nagano gets to drawing Volume 13 soon...
Shinei!