Most trafficked anime/mamga boards?

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

User avatar
Mr March
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:34 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Mr March » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 pm

Grebo Guru wrote:"To be honest, I'm more than a little pissed that you neglected to mention that fact and feeling more than a little used."

Errrr... uhhh.... I'm gonna assume that's a joke? (gulp)
It's no joke, GG. Try to look at the situation from my perspective.

I know nothing about Asahiya Bookstore in NYC nor was I aware you registered multiple accounts at AN. All I knew was you wanted a place to sell, I offered help and next thing I knew you're posting boycott topics on AN. I'm responsible for leading you to AN. Even if I was aware of the situation at Asahiya, why assume I would agree with your position? Or at the very least, that I'd want to be involved in any way?

Luckily, this shouldn't be a big deal for me at AN. I also think most people wouldn't blame me for my unwitting role in your boycott, whether they agree with you or not. But you yourself didn't know any of this when you posted this topic here at gearsonline.

I don't blame you for wanting to run a boycott now that I understand your position after the fact; I might have even agreed, if given the choice. But I wasn't given a choice. You totally misrepresented yourself and involved me without my consent.

That was a lousy thing to do.

User avatar
Grebo Guru
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Deep in the woods of Connecticut
Contact:

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:49 am

Thanks for your support, Tachyon. On the subject of Asahiya's lame policy, all I can say is... "I know, right?!?"

As for Mao, yeah -- I'm not a fan. But the quote is just so wikkid awsum!
Tachyon wrote:I have to say I support your post on Asahiya's book policy. A lot of art books have almost no art in them. It's hard for us non-Japanese speakers to know which books are going to give us good art and which aren't. Not too long ago I was in a position to buy a lot of books, both in Japan and in California. I can't count the number of times I got home, removed the plastic and sighed in exasperation at the fact that the book had almost no art in it at all!

I mean, some video game guides have great artwork in them and some have nothing but small screen caps. You don't know until you open it and thumb through it! And as for "pristine condition", I certainly don't mind if some people thumbed through it before me. I didn't grow up in a plastic bubble and I'm not afraid of indirectly shaking a few peoples' hands. The sci-fi novels on the shelves at book stores aren't shrink-wrapped. Lots of other people have taken them off the shelf before me. I still buy them.

As for Chairman Mao, I believe he did more harm than good in the world but it is a really cool quote that you've got. I was an exchange student in China in 1994. An American friend and I both liked free market capitalism but when we saw copies of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book for sale at a local market we both grapped copies. We had a Chinese friend teach us "Mao was right!" in Chinese and we walked around the campus waving our copies of Mao's book and shouting the slogan. It was immature and dopey. Maybe it was even disrespectful of another culture. We were young and had too much free time. Not to say that your quoting Mao is immature. I'm just saying we can accept the good, leave the bad and be a bit open-minded in this world.
"Civilize the mind, make savage the body." - M.T.T.

User avatar
Grebo Guru
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Deep in the woods of Connecticut
Contact:

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:57 am

Mr March wrote:It's no joke, GG. Try to look at the situation from my perspective.
Whoah now dude. Hang on there. I've read your post and, looking at the situation from your perspective, I can only conclude you've decided to deliberately make a mountain out a molehill.
Mr March wrote:I know nothing about Asahiya Bookstore in NYC nor was I aware you registered multiple accounts at AN.
Yeah. So? Why would you even care?
Mr March wrote:All I knew was you wanted a place to sell, I offered help and next thing I knew you're posting boycott topics on AN.
So what? What does one have to do with the other?
Mr March wrote:I'm responsible for leading you to AN.
I have four reactions to that sentence.

1. "Responsible"? You act as if something awful has happened. Calm down.

2. Not that there's anything for anyone to be "responsible for" here, but consider this: You are not more responsible for my actions, buddy. By the same token, I am not responsbile for yours. Neither of us -- not you, not I -- is the center of the universe.

3. Who cares who lead who to what? What difference does it make if you pointed me towards AN, or if I found it via Google, or if I saw an ad in a DVD insert? What does this have to do with anything?

4. I didn't use your name at all on the site. Do you think I did? Why would I do that? I don't even know who you are, man.
Mr March wrote:Even if I was aware of the situation at Asahiya, why assume I would agree with your position?
I didn't assume anything. I didn't give your opinion a moment's consideration. You know why? Because it has nothing to do with you.
Mr March wrote:Or at the very least, that I'd want to be involved in any way?
?!?!?

Dude! You're NOT involved.
Mr March wrote:Luckily, this shouldn't be a big deal for me at AN.
What the heck are you even talking about? I can't figure out why you think this somehow involves you personally.
Mr March wrote:I also think most people wouldn't blame me for my unwitting role in your boycott, whether they agree with you or not.
Whaaaaaaa? (scratches head) Bro, I didn't give you any "role in my boycott". You have no role in it at all, be it witting, unwitting, or even half-witting. No role. None.
Mr March wrote:But you yourself didn't know any of this when you posted this topic here at gearsonline.
I didn't know any of what? Seriously, March, I don't get what this is even about. It's all totally out of left field -- the left field of the Pleiades.
Mr March wrote:I don't blame you for wanting to run a boycott now that I understand your position after the fact;
Okay...
Mr March wrote:I might have even agreed, if given the choice.
Huh? What was I supposed to be giving you a choice of?

...Wait a minute...
Mr March wrote:But I wasn't given a choice.
(blinks in amazement)

Are you saying I was supposed to seek your approval before posting on the site, simply because you recommended it to me??? March, surely you can't think that.
Mr March wrote:You totally misrepresented yourself
No I didn't. What makes you say that I misrepresented myself?

Did I misrepresent myself by having two different names on the site? No. My two names were each used for ONE thread, and each one was 100% unrelated to the other. How is that such a terrible thing to do?

Did I misrepresent myself by saying here that I wanted to post about selling at AN, and then ALSO posted about my Asahiya problem? No. That can't be it, because I did post about selling on AN. My other post about Asahiya was unrelated to my sale post, and unrelated to you as well.

March, man, since when is any of this your business? Do you own AnimeNation or something?
Mr March wrote:and involved me without my consent.
(throws up arms) How did I involve you? I didn't involve you! How can you possibly think I involved you? What is this???
Mr March wrote:That was a lousy thing to do.
No. It wasn't. However, accusing me of being inconsiderate, manipulative, and a liar... That's pretty lousy. Especially when it's 100% groundless.
"Civilize the mind, make savage the body." - M.T.T.

User avatar
Mr March
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:34 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by Mr March » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:09 pm

I'm not even going to finish reading most of what you posted, because replying with a shotgun counter of a hundred dissected quotes would be "making a mountain out of an molehill". Like I said, I don't care that little harm should come from this or that it should blow over at AN with you forgotten. It was the principle that makes me angry and no amount of wiggling with the typical forum style stunts is going to change that.

If you honestly can't understand why I was upset (especially after that google remark), then there's no point in further discussion.

User avatar
Grebo Guru
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:50 pm
Location: Deep in the woods of Connecticut
Contact:

Post by Grebo Guru » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:06 am

Well, pardon me for making sense.

I guess a reasonable, logic-based, to-the-point response is beyond your ability to handle. (shrugs) Oh well.

Still, I'm not pleased to have angered you. I certainly didn't mean to. Obviously. I mean, how could I have meant to? I couldn't have been expected to guess that my business would chafe your elephantiasis-afflicted sense of principles. It's not like I knew at the time that you aren't grounded in reality. It's also not like I was even thinking about you at all because, remember, you're not involved.

And hey, good job ignoring the PM I sent you. You know, the one in which I suggested we discuss this privately, like adults? Your lack of response to that PM is pretty telling. A tad disappointing, as well, but not surprising. (2nd shrug)

Benjamin
AKA Grebo Guru

PS - What's so bad about mentioning Google? I don't get that at all. In fact, I find it odd that you were ticked off by that, but not by the "half-witting" gag I tossed in. (3rd shrug)
"Civilize the mind, make savage the body." - M.T.T.

Newton
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:36 am
Location: Logan, UT
Contact:

Post by Newton » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:14 am

Try not to sweat it, GG.

Let me be among the last to welcome you back to GEARS! I also commend you for speaking out at AnimeNation forums. Noble, but pearls before swine and all that...

Mr. Mogi - is that Akira Mogi? If so, I remember him from Chicago. He wasn't as stiff-necked there - his position may well be related to the store location. Although I must say that the line about, "if enough people complain, I may change the policy" is pretty lame. Oh well, there are plenty other Japanese bookstore in NYC, even a few used ones. I can get you in touch with some folks who can help you with the lay of the land, if you like.

As far as AnimeNation's forum, it looks on a par with 4chan. Screw 'em. And anybody who has enough time on their hands to do a rude comic just to troll your note - well, cyber-homeless, anyone? :roll:

Anyway, I understand your feelings regarding sight-unseen purchases. I hate to buy artbooks without having seen any of the contents. At this point, I just do a little research on the book if I'm really interested in scoring it. That said, I'm primarily buying online here in The Hinterlands.

One thing I've found about Asahiya, though - drop enough dead presidents on 'em and they get nice real quick. In my experience, they don't have a buffalo about unwrapping once they know you're "for real", i.e., a repeat customer. They were kinda dickish in NYC (this was back in the 90s, mind you), but when I whipped out my customer card from Chicago they got kinda nice.

In a nutshell, screw 'em. I know they've got the best artbook selection around, but there's plenty of ways to get what you want. What books, perchance, where you looking at?

Post Reply