Do Mortar Heads glow?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

John F. Moscato

Do Mortar Heads glow?

Post by John F. Moscato » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:01 am

Yes, I agree that this may seem like somewhat of a retarded question. It arises as a result of something I had read long ago about the Akatsuki Hime (pardon the spelling) and how the color of the armor seemed to have gone from red to opera... Something about the light emitted from the engine.

That got me to wondering: do MHs actually emit light somehow? It may vey well be a misinterpretation on my part, so I'll turn the spotlight over to those more knowledgeable, as I'm curious to hear other peoples' take on this subject. 8)
John F. Moscato

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:31 pm

Yes, MH's can glow. Apparently their Ezlaser engines radiate light as a byproduct of the External Combustion process when they generate energy. Amaterasu designed the LED Mirage's translucent armor in order to take advantage of this side effect which causes LED's and any MH's with the transparent armor to glow which impresses and intimidates opponents.
Shinei!

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:29 am

Thanks for the insight Nu Soard, this is really interesting.

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my brain around how the glow is supposed to appear though; the outer armor on some MH will seemingly allow light to pass, but it seems to me that the engines and such (for a LED for example) are burried under the sub-armor of the calves. Is the sub-armor also transparent somehow, or would it look more like light peeking through the seams and louvers (like sunlight through a set of vertical blinds?)

A shame that Nagano decided to be a wanker and not commit FSS to either film or OVA media. Guess we're just going to have to guess for now.
John F. Moscato

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm much more upset that Nagano hasn't made any new FSS panels in, what? Three years?

As to the armor, there is a chance that there is radiation that caused the sub-armor to glow.