Characters 11 Smoke Walls

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Characters 11 Smoke Walls

Post by Tachyon » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:51 pm

Hobby Link Japan shipped my copy of Smoke Walls this weekend. It isn't as thick as Knight Flags was but it's pretty cool. More characters than mortar heads but the ones included are nice. There's also a detailed schematic of a Fillmore Empire Siren. It's interesting to see how a mortar head is planned and assembled.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:10 am

Smoke Walls is a great book.

There are quite a few MH's in the book (not as many as Knight Flags though, Holy Cow!), but there are more characters. I most especially like the new Cross Mirage (I think this one is supposed to belong to John Weinziel) and the Siren R (white Siren) and the Phantoms. Don't really groove on the CalvaryR, but I don't hate it either.

The "Internal Structure of Mortar Headd" article is absolutely fantastic! I love the detail it shows. I sure wish I could read it though. Anyone here who can translate that articl?? If so, one of us should scan it so we can get a translation going...

BTW, the MH in the article is the Siren 103N Neptune. The Flag MH for the Phillmore Empire. (or rather, one of its Flag MH's)
Shinei!

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:40 am

I love the subtle use of Illustrator to add detail and shade to the images in that section of the book.

ro3159

Post by ro3159 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:00 am

Shall I translate them? :wink: :P

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:15 am

ro3159 wrote:Shall I translate them? :wink: :P
:shock:

Do NOT tease me!

If you could do this thing, you would be a hero to all english speaking FSS fans everywhere. This message board would be famous....
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:01 am

Huhu^^

Well I'm particularly curious about a few joints.
Of course each joint is important or else the MH may have a few motion problems, but for instance on the internal schema blablah, we can't see any joint for the toes, while it surely is one of the most important joint for the MHs.
Oh yeah and I'm talking about this joint in particular cuz' on the Phantom it's totally missing. Moreover the Phantom's heels are REALLY high, and looking at the kit, I wonder how it can kneel like the B4. The heels are high, the legs are loooooooong but the thighs are short, and it doesn't work when you're kneeling^^.

I'm also curious about the collarbone. Cuz' if you act as if you're holding a sword or any weapon an MH may use, the collarbone is very important. Though it moves only a bit, it changes everything.
On the kit it looks like there are two balls, that may move oppositely to make the shoulder go forward or backward (and a lot of other stuff), well it's no wonder the shoulder joint is the hardest to reproduce in CG...
Maybe Nagano might have been a bit optimistic with the space available between the various armor plate, and the space required for it to move easily.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:31 pm

The "collar bone" looks pretty flexible to me. It looks like its got a flexible joint in one place, then another joint where it connects to the Neck Support Arm. I'd say the range of movement there is far greater than that of the human collar bone, which moves only slightly.

Also, the Neptune looks like it has one huge (though very pointy) toe-joint, so I don't see kneeling as a problem. Though, you are right about the Phantom...it looks like the foot-armor would prvent its toe from flexing and thus kneeling (or sprinting) properly. However notice that the armor has that little part that extends up and away from the ground, so perhaps thats what supports it when it kneels and runs.

If we can really get a translation of this article, it could clear up a lot of mystery for me. Hopefully...

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

oops!

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:23 pm

That last post was from me. I forgot to log in before I wrote it :oops:
Shinei!

ro3159

Legend of the mortar headd mainframe aka the keel

Post by ro3159 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:22 am

Fatima Shell Installation Frame(Fatima Shell Set Frame)
Fatima Shell is most important for MH. The frame supporting it is directly linked with Mainframe. The information and control from Fatima is send to entire body through Mainframe. (ref. Control System)

There is energy-bypass entrance at the shoulder blade attachment base of mainframe. The energy is send to each part through mainframe from this hole. (ref. Power Management System)

Shoulder Blade(Kenkoukotsu)
It is very stout structure. And combining collar bone, both arms are held steady. It is responsible for opening up arms, holding sword in front of breast with both hands , and raising shoulder, etc..

Mainframe itself can move flexibly from front to back and from side to side, because it is using reactive material on the left, right, top and bottom of each parts. Basic MH movement, bending or twist or etc, is carried out here. Of course, The damper and piston for support exists in belly as what is connected. Refer to the illust of "drive system".

Bottom Counterweight
It is the weight for balance adjustment of the upper half of the body and a lower half of the body. It is also an adapter if MH attaches subarmaments into the back, but it is seldom used.

An overhang of pelvis etc serves as support frame of power piston.

Thigh Bone Pelvic Socket(Daitaibu Kotsuban)
It is enormously robust, and as a single part, it is the heaviest part in MH. The damper filling liquid is sealed by high-pressure power in ball-shaped joint. Motivity isn't embedded, and dedicates themselves to serve as thigh joint.

Underframe
This is huge block part supporting thigh and mainframe. It moves so flexibly by combining of cam with each parts. And, it serves also as the attachment base of armor part of the waist. Because it is robust.
Last edited by ro3159 on Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:08 am

:shock:

He's going to do it!

He's actually going to do it!!!

:D

ro3159

Legent of MH mainframe internal view

Post by ro3159 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:56 am

Central Circuits
This collects up supplementary power and information except energy. They are send to each part from many holes and terminals.

Bilge Keel
This is lock part for setting torso accodion armor. Of course, it is also guard for mainframe not to give a shock from the back. The dent at base is a clearance of damper liquid.

Energy Bypass
Ezlaser energy passes along the inside of this center. The inside is filled by gel which protects the bypass.

Counter Tissue
Circumference in mainframe is used in order that the counter tissue moves flexibly it.

Communications Nerve(The nerve of MH)
This is the cable which transmits information from fatima and knight. There are two cable in the right and left side, but the other is backup. All the comnuication and signaling in MH is wired cable through this. Since wireless is dangerous, cannot use. If wireless is effective, It will enable the enemy fatima to control MH or intercept the operation externally. Therefore It is sealed in the mainframe several times over. The command from fatima to knight is wholly one way, and there cannot be backward. It is for preventing the external fatima from hacking inner circuit terminal. You can't control MH from terminal, but although it is possible to control from terminal and to command by voice from the knight and fatima whom MH recognizes as master. The KOG started up the engine by Sopp's "Rise and Shine!" in vol.1, because he recognizes the voice.

Return Bypass
The energy, generated by activating each parts,is went back from each dynamo to ezlazer engine through this bypass.
Last edited by ro3159 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:17 pm

wow AWESOME !! :shock:

ro3159 great job, thats alot of hard work. :wink:

I'm looking forward for the rest :twisted:

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:21 am

Encore!

Encore!
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:06 pm

Do you think it would be useful if I scan Smoke Walls to edit the pages ?

Mave1

Post by Mave1 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:20 pm

Pretty good idea...but what about copyright and that legal yadda-yadda?

Maybe its not such a big deal since this site is already hosting scans of the manga... :roll: