Some noob questions about FSS

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

terminus

Some noob questions about FSS

Post by terminus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:36 pm

I first got intrested in the FSS series after seeing some of their amazing models. However I still have a lot of questions I would like answered:

-Is the manga still continuing or is it all over already?

-Is there an anime or movie?

-I've seen like 3 different types of Neptune, which one is the best or newest?

-could anyone help me rank these mortar heads by power? from greatest to least?

Yen Xing
Jagd Mirage
Hydra Mirage
Bangdoll
Neptune 103
Terror Mirage

thanks!

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Ahoy noob ! :p

-It's not over, but it's not continuing either :(
Nagano is known for taking some long breaks from time to time, and he's been in one of those notorious breaks for about 2 years now I think, so there haven't been any news except an artbook from time to time.

Currently the Japanese edition has 12 books, the English edition covers the first 10 books split in 26 thinner but larger books. I think he created the content of Japanese books 11 and 12 after his previous break, which is the last time we heard of the English translation (in 2003 I think, or a bit later, a new deal was signed with Diamond stores to sell the books as previously only Kinokuniya stores had the rights to sell it, we all thought this would give a boost to FSS, but looking back it looks more like it was a way to sell the stock as the English books have pretty much disappeared since then and are really hard to find, and never reprinted (ok I'm in France so I don't really ever had a real look at the stocks in stores, but I'd be surprised to be wrong^^). That's the last official info we had on the English edition and seeing how it hasn't been supported, we don't really expect it to carry on.
Starting to collect the English books now is a perilous quest whom you may not see the end during your time on this earth. :|

-There's an anime movie that covers the events of the Japanese 1st book, the "1st chapter" of the story. It's available on DVD. It's not bad, it aged a bit, but it's worth it just for the Knight of Gold in action^^ (some voices annoyed me though^^)
He's also been working on GothicMade, an anime serie, for the last 2 years. But we haven't had any news since one and a half year I think.

-The 1st Neptune, early design : http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/sirens/vsiren.jpg
1st design in an artbook I guess, can't remember which one
-The second Neptune : http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/sirens/vsiren2.jpg
In the artbook Knightflags and in Japanese book 10
-The last version, which fights in JP book 11 : http://jv44.egloos.com/1345299

-Tough one, the Yen Xing is a Machine Messiah from the now disappeared Super Empire Farus Die Karnan (or something like that, I haven't written that name for months :p technically it's a mash up of some album/song names from German Krautrock band Amon Düül which Mamoru Nagano is a fan, and I guess it should be "Phallus Dei Kanaan" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus_Dei which is quite a weird name for an Empire, but the Japanese translation makes it approximative and inconsistent), so it is in fact way more powerful than all the MH as the technology at that time was far superior than in the main story period.
The Jagd is a monster in it's own league, but it does not make it invincible, as an MH potential depends a lot of its Headdliner and Fatima. A gifted headdliner in a low grade MH can take on a "regular" one in a high grade MH.
The Hydra Mirage is probably a monster too as it's based on a LED Mirage.

For strict power output, take a look at the stats on Gearsonline^^

Someone corrects me if I say something wrong^^

(uh, 26 books indeed xD)
Last edited by Falk on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:41 pm

I can't answer all of them since I'm a FSS newb myself, but I can get a few.

Technically, the manga is still ongoing, but the english volumes ended at issue #26 which corresponds to Japanese volume #10. Japanese volumes #11 and #12 have since been released, but the english mangas have not continued :(

There is a single anime "OVA" of FSS made in 1989, that covers the first story arc (or first 3 issues of the english manga). It was released on DVD in 2002 by ADV. However, since no more episodes of the FSS anime made after the first, the existing anime feels more like a movie than an OVA. Regardless, it's still rather easy to obtain on DVD.

I know the Bang Doll and the Jagd Mirage are two of the most powerful Mortar Headds in the galaxy. The Yen Xing sits below the LED Mirage on the power scale chart so I would guess the Jagd would be above even the Yen Xing.

No idea bout the Neptunes.

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:50 pm

The LED is higher than the Yen Xing ?
Wow, didn't remember that, what a monster really :?

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:20 am

Well, Tachyon does tell us to be skeptical to a degree about the power scale chart (because of the tongue-in-cheek rating of Lachesis at the bottom of the chart). I suppose the LED Mirage might be over-estimated, but I thought it was revealed that the LED Mirages were some of the most powerful of Mortar Headds.

terminus

Post by terminus » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:21 am

thanks everyone for the reply

-darn, I wished he could start once again, taking a break for 2 years...is long enough lol

-wow thanks for the Neptune pics...that last Neptune looks amazing!!! I might buy that model. Any other info on that last Neptune by the way?

-wow, I never knew Machine Messiahs were so powerful, even more powerful than the Mirage class MH? does that mean Yen Xing and MM Auge are uber uber powerful? and how is it possible for the older machines to be more powerful than the new MH? and also I never knew the Bangdoll was even in the same league as the Jagd, that's farley impressive!

p.s. If the Yen Xing outclasses all MH, then how powerful is the Empress Flame? (since it has 2 Yen Xing engines in it) thoughI don't think it's a Machine Messiah.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 am

Well, I think all of the Machine Messiahs are supposed to outclass most of the "modern" MH. The MM's are from a much more technically advanced era in the past, before the regression that lead to the loss of so much technology.

ANyway, here's the page with a link to the Power Rating Chart.
http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/other/

For what it is worth, that's the layout. As I said above, make sure you take it with a grain of salt, as Tachyon suggested.

terminus

Post by terminus » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:33 am

Mr March wrote:Well, I think all of the Machine Messiahs are supposed to outclass most of the "modern" MH. The MM's are from a much more technically advanced era in the past, before the regression that lead to the loss of so much technology.

ANyway, here's the page with a link to the Power Rating Chart.
http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/other/

For what it is worth, that's the layout. As I said above, make sure you take it with a grain of salt, as Tachyon suggested.
looking at the chart I don't regonize things like the overlord, F.U. Rognar, Suire and Dragon, and spector, what are those things?

p.s. anyone have art of the 3rd Neptune? the one Christine V drives?

Neeyahaha

Post by Neeyahaha » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:12 pm

F.U. (I always feel dirty saying/typing that) Rognar is the King of Babylon (Babiron?), I believe, who was brought into service as a Mirage Knight under Amaterasu.

http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/characters/rognar.php

I'm surprised at him being more powerful than a Mortar Head though.

As for collecting the manga, it's taken me a year to get 20 of the 26 volumes, but I've been half way across Canada to get some (I was already there visiting family), as well as ordering from two places in the US. As well as spending more than $200.

Falk

Post by Falk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:22 pm

My memory's really blurry, but Rognar may be of godlike ancestry, or something. I think there are a few pages related to this in book 11 or 12, not sure, we see a huge guy with a crown and cape with the babylon lion on it facing a demon...
There may be something going on between them for a few millenias or something, it has never been translated so what I say here are just fragments of what may have been written here a few years ago...
Someone with more knowledge (and Japanese skill) may correct me^^

Terminus > All those names are über beings, gods, interdimentional beings and things like that^^. In case you have never read FSS at all, well though you may class it as Science fiction first, it also blends some fantasy, with magic powers, dragons, tales, fate, etc...

My memory's not fresh, but I don't think there is an artwork of the 3rd V-Siren Design. It's only appeared in the manga for now.

terminus

Post by terminus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:42 am

thanks guys

wow, F.U. Rognar sound uber powerful, and he looks farley badass in his pirate coat too lol. I never knew he even pilots the "Orange Dragon"! wish there was a model for it though.

Anyone have a link of a picture of the Neptune 103? (Christine V's) and additionally is there more art of the Hydra Mirage other than the one posted?
also how powerful is the MM Auge?(as powerful as a Jagd Mirage, LED Mirage, Hydra Mirage?) and what relations does it have with the normal Auge? and is the Bangdoll in the same league as the Mirages?

many thanks!

p.s. notice how Spector is ranked super high in the chart, kinda funny, either it's a joke or he's really uber powerful

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:58 am

terminus wrote:
wow, F.U. Rognar sound uber powerful, and he looks farley badass in his pirate coat too lol. I never knew he even pilots the "Orange Dragon"! wish there was a model for it though.
Rognar is definately my favorite FSS character. I latched onto him fairly early just based on his character design...then he turns out to be the baddest Mother in the galaxy :)

also how powerful is the MM Auge?(as powerful as a Jagd Mirage, LED Mirage, Hydra Mirage?) and what relations does it have with the normal Auge? and is the Bangdoll in the same league as the Mirages?
The MM: AUGE is quite powerful. Its exact placement on the MH power scale is unknown at this time, but chances are its at least as powerful as a Mirage Machine (Cross Mirage, Terror Mirage etc, not counting the LED Mirage, which is too powerful to be considered a Mortar Headd). Unlike the Empress Flame, which is a Mortar Headd that uses powerful twin MM engines (thus the frame is still limited to the strength and durability of a MH instead of a MM) the AUGE is a true Machine Messiah which has been modified to include a Fatima cockpit (which Machine Messiah do not normally posses). Its potential should be higher than any other Mortar Headd in existance except maybe the Jagd Mirage, Junchoon, The Mighty Series and of course the LED Mirage.

The AUGE seen earlier in the manga was a test-bed for Mirage Machine technology that Sop/Amaterasu built. He named it after the original (MM) AUGE, which has been in his family for Millenia but had been sealed away. Note that in the Anime L-Gaim (the spiritual predecessor to FSS) there are two AUGE mecha as well and the "original" AUGE is one of the most powerful mecha in the show, so perhaps that is a hint to the true power of the MM: AUGE in FSS.
many thanks!
No problemo! I love talking about this stuff.
p.s. notice how Spector is ranked super high in the chart, kinda funny, either it's a joke or he's really uber powerful
Not a Joke. You have to read the manga to fully understand. I suggest E-bay.
Shinei!

terminus

Post by terminus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:10 am

wow, thanks for the answers!

the LED Mirage sound a lot more powerful than I thought, isn't it like a normal commissioned vehicle for all the Mirage Knights, how is it soo powerful? I can understand why the Mighty series (3 unique Mirages), Jagd Mirage (2 huge unique Mirages with twin towers), Machine Messiahs, and KOG, are powerful, but wow the LED Mirage must be real special (most of the time I think really powerful MH must either be unique or rare lol).

p.s. how is Christine V's Neptune ranked among the Mirages and MMs? I love how her Neptune's design.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:04 am

The LED Mirages were built to fight "something else" in mind (spoiler:

Code: Select all

this is where the "fantasy/fairy tale" part comes in
), not for the normal battles, so it is way more powerful than the normal MHs, and they are usually sealed and only used in very few events.

Christine V's Neptune should be somewhere amongst the top of the common MHs - somewhere around a Bang Doll i suppose. way below the MMs. MMs are much much more powerful than the common MHs - there's a huge gap. But then, there aren't any MMs now (except for the modified MM Auge), so the Neptune is really the elite of the current times. Similarly, the current era's Headdliners are much much weaker than the Chivalries (knights) of the Super Empire era.

We didn't see the old design Neptune in action. In JP vol 10, we see the skeletal Neptune getting a new set of armors (which i suppose is what becomes Christine's version). The Neptune is light on armor and emphasis seems to be on speed and offense. The Neptune is a symbol of the Lader family which is one of two (alternating?) ruling families. The other is Prominence of the Fillmore family.

http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/sirens/vsiren.php
http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/siren ... nence.html

---------------------------------------------

PS > The FSS anime is really a movie and not an OVA. There's news that the DVD is getting a re-release around May (iirc). U can get the japanese version because there's english subs to it ;), but then its R2 so ur player must be able to play it :P
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

terminus

Post by terminus » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:07 am

intresting, but why is it that I aways see the LED Mirage so many times, (it dosen't realy seem that speacial, unique, or rare). And what exactly are they made to battle with the fantasy/fairy tale thing?

p.s. so I'm guessing MM (like MM Auge) and Mirages (LED, KOG, Jagd, Mighty series, etc.) are on par with each other?