Blassty Progress

What's happening at GEARS

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blassty Progress

Post by Tachyon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:58 pm

I actually had some time to goof around this week and I cleaned up several Cruise Chaser Blassty images I scanned a while back. It's a mish-mash image collection and I don't know anything about the story or characters but I haven't seen Blassty on the 'Net yet so I still think the project is worthwhile. I just wish I knew which mechs were the good guys and which were the bad guys.

Anyways, I hope people enjoy the preview I stitch together. Lots of fan art too.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:37 am

Gah! These Blassty images need a lot of clean up! They say nothing worthwhile is easy but some of these images are too much. I spent a long time today cleaning up 5 line art images of the Blassty itself. Gray background removal, rotating, contrast correction, fuzzy halo removal... This is not one of my easier projects.

One of the interesting things I'm noting is most of the Blassty mechs have cockpits and separate "cruise cabins" with air locks. It seems pilots scoot back from the cockpit to a cramped cabin for long space flights. I wish I could read more about it.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:43 am

The heavy lifting is done. The rough images and 2-page spreads are cleaned up. There are a lot more images to clean up but they won't require much individual attention.

I need to get back to cleaning up a 2-page spread for SRW so I can do another mech update there.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:44 pm

The SRW images are cleaned up now so I should soon be able to post 11 more mech profiles.

The Blassty scans I'm working with are really bad resolution. They were submitted by someone and I'm grateful for them but I really wish I had my own pages to scan. One page has line art images of the 2 main characters but it's going to require hours of clean up.

Soon I'll be posting the info on the back issues of Hobby Japan that I need. I really, really hope you guys can be helpful in tracking them down. Cruise Chaser Blassty is one of the first mecha stories I knew about and I really want to create a quality section for it here at Gears Online.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:52 am

All image clean up is finished. When the dust settles on the SRW work I'll start building a Blassty section.