FSS 11+/ Scanlations/ Can of Worms?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

cdg24

FSS 11+/ Scanlations/ Can of Worms?

Post by cdg24 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:39 am

My guts was right. FSS is brilliant. I ordered the FSS set (missing issue 5) in 2007 from Kinok NY and Seattle knowing that the status of future FSS issues was murky.
Although I understand the rights of the artist just as much as the next person, I'm also beginning to tire from the looong wait for the translations of Book 11 and onwards.

There are scanlations for every sort of manga imaginable --including licensed ones. All scanlation sites suggest to their readers that they buy the manga once official translations exist.
Why not do the same for books 11 and 12? I mean, people who want such scans can pool resources to get one copy of 11 and one copy of 12 of either the chinese (yesasia.com?) or japanese version and make them available to the people who paid for them. (That way, everyone involved can save some money and buy the official issues if and when they roll in.)
General summaries can then be gradually incorporated.
Disclaimer: This may be opening a can of worms.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:26 am

its a fantastic idea. One thats been tossed about here before. However no one has stepped up to take on the project yet.

Scans are available. I myself have a scan of Volume 12 (The Newtype episodes) and I am very willing to donate to such an effort.
Shinei!

cdg24

Post by cdg24 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 am

:) (As you can see, I hardly post, so I wouldn't know that such idea has been considered.)
There's the logistics to be addressed: deciding on the forms of money acceptable, the reputability of where the books are ordered from, how to refund the parties involved if the books are lost in the mail transit (efforts for insurance would be attempted), and deciding who will scan the materials needed.
Honestly, I'm more of the type who would send a little contribution. I mean, I'm still a full-time college kid (though nearing the graduation mark). Man, there's just so many mundane demands!

If I could, I would probably enjoy writing summaries for the released English materials and send them to Gears's general FSS site (now that Heika's not available), but I certainly wouldn't be able to help in translating new materials considering I can't read either of the languages.
Consider polling people on what they think?

cdg24

Post by cdg24 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:08 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Scans are available. I myself have a scan of Volume 12 (The Newtype episodes)
I forgot to add, what are the Newtype episodes (I'm a still a relative noob when it comes to the content of FSS or Newtype itself)?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 am

cdg24 wrote:
Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Scans are available. I myself have a scan of Volume 12 (The Newtype episodes)
I forgot to add, what are the Newtype episodes (I'm a still a relative noob when it comes to the content of FSS or Newtype itself)?
The Five Star Stories is originally run in Newtype Magazine monthly. The episodes from about 2 or 3 years worth is then gathered in a collected volume at a later date. Occasionally there are changes made between the original Newtype debut and the collected version as the author decides if he doesn't like something or wants to correct some inconsistancy (or create new ones as is often the case)
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:03 am

hmm scans of vols 1-12 of both japanese and chinese versions are already available online. whether it is illegal or not, i think quite definitely a yes. but whether we should even talk about where to get it in this board, i dont know.

actually, is the original japanese volumes considered expensive @ 1100yen? its about $10.16 USD + another few bucks for shipping?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

cdg24

Post by cdg24 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:20 am

Getting the JPN books in the States is no prob, but my experience with Kinok's preferred use of USP left me gasping at the shipping fee. (So glad my larger order of books from Kinok NY went by USPS.)
But I can see that for a lot of people wanting the scans, they may only have to just chip in a dollar or less (via papal, concealed cash, etc.?).

And when the contribution value gets smaller, it seems ...well... funny (silly?).

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 am

hmmm u might want to consider ordering from online stores like Bk1, amazon, or HLJ

personally, i own the books and i have the scans too, so that i dont have to dig out my books (lazy :P), and sometimes i use the scans to cut and paste pictures for discussions.

if u still want the scans for whatever reasons, i might know where to find them :P.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

cdg24

Post by cdg24 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Thanks for the temporary resource "solution."