Off topic: Finally

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

happy hopping

Off topic: Finally

Post by happy hopping » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:30 am

Finally, I got a hold of David and he's now handling the matter.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:15 am

"Handling the matter" like Wax Trax is staying active?

If so, thats great news!
Shinei!

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:49 pm

No, Arnold needs the money. See David's post today. So we are thru as we speak.

Ezboard that I set up is also no good anymore. They just added spyware to any free board. So I'm abandoning that place as I don't want anyone to pay $60 or so per year. Not to mention I don't have the money anyway.

As to Waxtrax, you know I have been hoping around BBS since the late 80's when we have to dial in to a specific BBS and read/write mesg., and I have seen a fair share of BBS close down.

Usually due to too much flame at the board. Waxtrax, by contrast, is the only board that hardly has any flame mesg.

And this is the first time I've ever seen a mesg. board lost most of its people due to the software.

-) Quite often I get Connection refused
-) Hard drive crashes and causes the lost of people like Mark
-) lost the entire mesg. when you click post, especially when the mesg. is long
-) software or the bandwidth is extremely slow

Of course, the BBS is free, so what can I say. But having said that, I don't understand how can other BBS run free if Arnold needs $1200/yr to run the show.

And all the other bbs such as the old gundam project.com, runs fine w/o the host asking for a penny from members.

The above software problems has been happening before Arnold ask for money. And quite frankly, with those software problems, it is hard enough to convince people to continue to join and write mesg. for free access, as we already have most of the people leaving, not to mention now asking for money.

Anyhow, so how did other current gundam/scifi based BBS run for free anyway?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:37 pm

This message board is free but it runs in a host account that charges me $320 per year. I'm not complaining. I pay the fees because I like Gears Online and I want it to keep going. Donations from site visitors would be great and make expansions easier but no one needs to worry about financial problems on the horizon.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:34 pm

Thats less than $30 per month so thats reasonable.
Shinei!

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:24 am

well, if you put in that way, then Ezboard at $60/yr. is even better.

Their only problem is there is no storage spc. for you to upload photo. So you need your own storage spc. and provides a link.

I can Gear and many other web site with this software works the same way. So no difference.

Waxtrax, on the other hand, is one of the very few that the software allows you to upload pic. directly to their server.

AkumaS

Post by AkumaS » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:42 pm

Happy Hopping wrote:Usually due to too much flame at the board. Waxtrax, by contrast, is the only board that hardly has any flame mesg.
I'm a member of a forum where flameing is non-existant... (Maybe in a jokeing manner, but that's it )

I never saw any flameing at WT though.....

ro3159

Post by ro3159 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:26 pm

Yeah, Waxtrax is very good board. I'm sad for closing that .
:( :( :(

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:03 pm

Not only no flaming, but no curse at all. Well I use a lot when speak, when my computer crashes or whatever, more for fun than seriously, but a messageboard without any "F word" is really rare nowadays, and though it wont hurt anyone if someone says "what a f*cking MH" instead of "what an amazing MH", it's simply different, more quite, peaceful.

ABout file uploading, there are other ways to do it.
VBulletin boards do it, but it's not free (85$ for 1 year or 160$ unlimited).
They look quite like phpbb boards, but many commercial/professional sites (well sites with a lot of members) use it, so I guess there are some differences, but I don't know hich ones.

With phpbb you can add some mods, like a mod to upload pics on the server, but to my knowledge there are no mod to upload a pic directly when you're writing a message. But there's a very big community so maybe now there's one.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:35 pm

As of today, 99% of all mesg. has been del. except Admin. I guess we can officially close waxtrax for good.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:07 pm

Yeah, I drop by there every few days to see if any new messages have appeared.

They haven't.

I tried to keep a couple of topics going, but nothing. No dice. I got like 1 reply in 2 months.

I think its pretty much dead, we just haven't buried it yet.

This is a sad day for FSS fans on the net. Wax Trax/Heika was a milestone in FSS fandom in the U.S. (and across the globe!) and I for one will miss her...
Shinei!

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:11 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Yeah, I drop by there every few days to see if any new messages have appeared.

They haven't.

I tried to keep a couple of topics going, but nothing. No dice. I got like 1 reply in 2 months.

I think its pretty much dead, we just haven't buried it yet.

This is a sad day for FSS fans on the net. Wax Trax/Heika was a milestone in FSS fandom in the U.S. (and across the globe!) and I for one will miss her...
Indeed. I have to confess I gave up on waxtrax perhaps 6 weeks ago, or more. I tried to go there one day and it didn't seem to recognise my login, and at the time I thought waxtrax was all over. Obviously I was mistaken, but seemingly I haven't missed much.

On the bright side, FSS discussion here is better than waxtrax has been in a loooong while. I've been avidly reading (but not posting to) the detailed and interesting threads here. Many thanks to all the contributors 8)

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:49 pm

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers.LoadForums() error '80040e31'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

/WB/WBMain.asp, line 115

==================

Ea. day I marked the read mesg., or try to click a forum such as FSS Talk, I get the above. It's the only software that sucks so bad and gives this kind of error.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet