Where the heck are the manga?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Schpeltor

Where the heck are the manga?

Post by Schpeltor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:09 am

Hi, I've posted a few times in the past, but haven't been here for a while.

OK, bit of a rant here...

Every book store you go into these days has a ton of manga. Any average Borders or Barnes & Noble has rack after rack of them, far outnumbering the regular comics/graphic novels. I'll see kids sitting on the floor for hours reading them, not to mention the manga that gets checked out from the local library. They are insanely popular.

In the middle of all this, where are the FSS manga? Nowhere to be found. For the last several years, there has been a perfect opportunity to get these into American stores, and yet the reality is they have disappeared. As far as I can tell, the English versions have been discontinued - they are now almost impossible to find. They only ever seemed to be available from Kinokuniya & Akadot, and now - not.

Was Toys ever serious about bringing these to the US market? Their attitude reminds me of anime companies in the 80's. There was a small but enthusiastic fanbase here, and yet the Japanese companies seemed to have no interest in making money outside of Japan. It took until the early 90's for that to change.

Anyway, I'm going on a bit, but it's just a mystery to me how the people behind FSS can't/won't make the move to place a few copies in a Borders and see what happens. They would have to see *some* sales, and in time far outstrip whatever they sold in Kinokuniya and the like.

Thanks for reading this far - any comments?

:)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:00 pm

Yeah, it's sure frustrating. I'm glad I rounded up the manga issues a while back. FSS manga wasn't marketed very well (or very much) outside of Japan. I had to shop at unknown online stores to get my copies and then I had to phone Kinokuniya Seattle and ask them to phone the other Kinokuniya stores. If I tried to do it again now I don't think I'd be able to get them any more.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Akito

Post by Akito » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:35 pm

I am already collecting two discontinued and very hard to find series. When I got into FSS, I was like 'no, not another which I wont ever get finished!?'. My friends always joke that I like only rare and hard to get series.. :roll:
In this whole country where I am from, is only *one* shop where I have seen new volumes of FSS. They did not have all numbers and the owner also said that they probably wont get more of those because there is like nowhere to get those from. I mostly have to import those from overseas internet auctions...

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:33 am

I feel for you. I'm in the same boat. Ever since I went through The Five Star Stories section here on gearsonline, I've become REALLY interested. I very much want to get into this series. I love a great epic manga, like Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, which I've had for years now.

Alas, these english versions have long since been out of print. And to be honest, I wasn't even aware english translations of the manga existed or that there is an actual Region 1 DVD for the film. Talk about way off the radar. It's like they went out of their way to make sure no one knew these products existed :(

If anyone ever sees a copy of issue #1 around (and you don't want it for yourself) please post here. I'd kill to try it out.

Poseidal

Post by Poseidal » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:43 am

I remember going though pain to get my English ones. The first few were actually available in the local shops for a while, but eventually they thinned down and I had to resort to online ordering, ordering from the 'supplier' through the shop and ebay.

Now I guess it's not being translated at all any more? I only got them up to book 10 (Japanese number, something like 26 in English).

I've been without fresh FSS/Nagano input for years now.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:37 pm

Yes, they are long out of print now. I've been to every online vendor and the english manga is always listed as sold out/out of print. There seems to be bits and piece available, a volume or two sold here and there. Sadly it's really hard to find any substantial sequence of the FSS books up for sale anywhere.

Damnit. These books are going to be a real pain to track down. Looks like it's going to be another phone call frenzy to all the local book shops/used books stores/comic book shops. I hate having to scavenge like this :x :(

Neeyahaha

Post by Neeyahaha » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:47 pm

There's a place in Calgary that I believe has another #1. Or at least, it did back in May. It's called Another Dimension Comics. They ship, but it ends up being fairly expensive. There's another user from Calgary around here somewhere, I don't know if you could work something out with him/her.

There was a place in Brampton, Comics World, I think, that had some, but I'm pretty sure I bought the only issues they had.. <_<. I haven't checked around in Toronto itself for FSS, but if you find some place, please let me know. I'm missing a number of issues.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:48 pm

I lived in Calgary for a number of years and I know Another Dimension Comics quite well. I just called them up; it's gone. They have no stock of any of the FSS books. You should have picked up the extra number one, I would have purchased it from ya, HAHAHAHAHA :) :P

I haven't begun searching in Toronto, but I'm not hopeful for any results. Really, I want to secure myself a copy of issue number one before I start the mad search to "get 'em all." At this point I have to find out if I'm even going to like the story enough to really get into it. All I need is the first volume and I'll be able to tell instantly if it's working for me or not.

Nonetheless, thanks for your help and I'll certainly post here with FSS manga information for you (assuming of course that I don't buy them myself :)

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:56 pm

Btw, what issue numbers do you need?

Neeyahaha

Post by Neeyahaha » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:00 am

11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26

Although, I'm pretty sure I can get a hold of 11 and 12.

Estarland.com has a few volumes in stock, although not #1, I don't think. And I didn't have the best experience with them overall, so .. yeah.. your call to deal with them or not if you do end up being interested.

Where do you live? Just general area is cool, if you're worried about stalkers.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:33 am

Given the rarity of these books, I won't be needing those issues for a very long time :) If I see em, they're yours. I'll post here with the details.

I checked out Estarland.com but all they got is 9 and 12. Like I said, issue number one is the clincher, but I suppose if I came across 2-4 I'd take a risk and grab 'em.

LOL! It's funny you should mention it, cause I've been stalked via the internet once a few years back, when I lived in Calgary. But not to worry, I try not to let that awful experience make me cynical. I live at Bloor and Dundas.

Neeyahaha

Post by Neeyahaha » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:59 am

Ah, alright. I was half thinking of lending you mine for a day or something, but that's not really all that close to me.. Sorry.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:38 am

That's awfully nice of you, but we don't know each other anyway. I'll keep an eye out for issues regardless and I'll keep you updated. I'll be actively searching and odds are good I'll find some along the way.

Tsunami65

Post by Tsunami65 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:53 am

I was able to fill the holes in my colection by keeping an eye on E-bay.
Best of luck in finding the issues you want.

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:57 pm

I'm keeping a look out on evilbay as well. Luckily, these are low cost items so I don't have any problems going to eviseratebay :)