July 6 - What's Up

What's happening at GEARS

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

July 6 - What's Up

Post by Tachyon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:35 pm

Hello, all. I just wanted to let people know what's going on in regards to Gears Online. I've been quiet lately because I've been trying to increase my technical skills. The time I've spent on that has taken away from my time to clean up mecha scans.

I have my Mospeada book now but my scanner is giving me terrible trouble. I have to either find a way to service it or buy a new one.

Gears Online now has its own RSS feed for site updates and a news reader on the front page with headlines from 4 different sites. If anyone would like to suggest additional sites (that have RSS or ATOMZ feeds) please let me know. I did these things to keep Gears Online current with other modern Web sites and in hopes that it would help increase traffic.

I'm going to try to find time to throw myself at the clean up tasks required for new Super Robot Wars material and for Cruise Chaser Blassty. I may be bugging one or two Photoshop experts I know. :oops:

The past few weeks I've been slowly raising myself to a higher level of PHP knowledge. This will help both my career and Gears Online. It isn't fun spending my evenings reading technical books but the benefits will be worthwhile. Anime Web sites won't be able to stay interesting for fans if the staff use old style Web techniques. I have to get with the times or Gears Online may dwindle away.

To make a long story short, I now know why there aren't so many mecha Web sites. Running a site isn't easy. But it's fun and I'm glad I've got other mecha fans to chat with. If you would like to have more of a role in what happens here, or would like to let me know about mecha sites that are "happening" you can reply to this post, private message me, or contact me some other way.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:24 pm

Sorry about the lack of updates. My scanner being messed up has been rough on me. Repairs don't seem feasible (the scanner is so big and heavy that shipping fees would wipe me out). I'm saving up for a new scanner but it will take a while (11 x 17 scanners are pricey). In the meantime, I'm going to fall back on projects for which the scanning is already done: Super Robot Wars and Cruise Chaser Blassty.

I'm currently in negotiations with my wife to use vacation time from my job to work on Gears Online.

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:14 am

Tachyon:

First, although it's cool to have an 11x17 scanner, you can do just as well with a smaller, more economical unit. Set your sights on something like an Epson Perfection - the perfect compromise between price and reliability.

Second, take your time. Gears hasn't been built in a day.^_^ Yes, farm out some of the jobs to those of us who can make time to help out. Yes, we all have lives, but yes, we also want to do our part to share in the awesome pictures and mecha excitement. Ask and ye shall receive!

Third, I'm mailing something to you in the next couple of weeks that's gonna blow your mind. Be ready.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm feeling a little better these days now that I've posted 2 updates this past weekend and found a few folders of scanned line art. I cleaned up images of 4 Dirty Pair space ships and started on my Madox folder. I'm hoping I can post both mini-sections up this coming weekend.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:05 pm

The Madox 01 images are all cleaned up. The [anime] Starship Troopers images will take some time. They're really messy.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:57 pm

The Starship Trooper images that I have are all cleaned up now. I've also cleaned up images for the R1, R2 and R3 from Super Robot Wars. I'm hoping I can post them up in a week but I have some site work to do that might not be pretty.