Heroic Age ROCKS DA HOUSE!!!

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Newton

Heroic Age ROCKS DA HOUSE!!!

Post by Newton » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:49 pm

I ranted about this show in my season review, but it bears repeating: WATCH HEROIC AGE!!!

This show has got what followers of big sci fi - FSS, the works of David Brin, Greg Bear and other epic SF writers want. Peep this:

Far in the future, mankind has spread out into the universe and diversified - perhaps even speciated. We come in numerous forms, and have naturally evolved telepathy, telekinesis and teleportation in various individuals. These powers are not focused upon; they are simply part of the natural order. The varying forms of humanity are grouped together under the designation of "The Iron Tribe."

But something has happened. We are exiles from our own home solar system. Humanity's home is blockaded by the elite forces of two other super-races - the humanoid, highly powered Silver Tribe and the insectile Bronze Tribe. This cruel alliance is dedicated to the eradication of humanity in all its forms.

There is a wild card in this conflict - the five remaining remnants of the Heroic Tribe - beings so physically gigantic, so powerful that their wars destroyed a significant portion of the known universe. As punishment, these five survivors of the eradication of the Heroic tribe were assigned to the various younger races. The most powerful individual, Belcross, was partnered with a feral orphan child of the least powerful Iron Tribe.

All of this plays out against the backdrop of a universe where evolution is constantly in action. Races grow, mature and eventually ascend to the next level of existence. These races leave the universe to those races who can show enough maturity to take on the task of gently guiding those behind them upward.

In a nutshell, Heroic Age mixes the best aspects of Brin's Uplift Series, the giant-hero action of Ultraman and the sweeping space opera of Yamato and the Lensman series.

Watch this show, people. Great things are happening in Heroic Age!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:53 pm

I've read all of David Brin's Uplift novels and watched all the Yamato DVD's so I'm interested. How do I watch this?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:50 pm

BitTorrent, my brother.

If you go to Tokyo Toshokan (tokyotosho.com), you can get the torrent client software, player and coder/decoder software (ZoomPlayer and CCCP are tops), AND download all twelve subtitled episodes of Heroic Age.

All of the above software are .exe files, so just hit them and they'll self-install.

No one has yet licensed this show. It must be seen to be believed.

Euhsung

Post by Euhsung » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:03 am

Alternatively, just go to veoh.com; they have every episode so far if you bother to search for it. Technically, this isn't really mecha, even more so than Evangelion; this show is in the same category as Ultraman if nothing else. However, the storyline is excellent, and the animation is generally above average. Nothing less from XEBEC, eh? I.G. should really draw from their pool of talent; their series seem to be solid but not really striking out at the moment. Yeah, I'm an I.G. fan...

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:46 am

I finally had time to try Tokyo Toshokan today. It's really frustrating. Most of the links I click on take me to 404 errors. There was only one link for the first episode of Heroic Age and it refused to download. I looked around for other anime but the links don't work.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:08 pm

Thanks, Euhsung. veoh.com has the goods.

http://www.veoh.com/search.html?numResu ... heroic+age

The link above takes one to the list of Heroic Age episodes. I've seen the first 3 episodes now and I'm hooked. That show is unusually good. I recommend it to all sci-fi fans. The link above has some French and Spanish subtitled versions too so everyone can enjoy.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:45 pm

I recently finished the first 15 episodes and Newton was right. This show rocks. Episode 12 was a superb look at a large fleet battle in space. Treat yourself and watch it.

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:11 pm

I'm also really taken with the "12 Labors of Hercules" angle. The Wikipedia article on the show covers it quite nicely, including a screencap of the contract between Age and the Iron Tribe. It is nothing less than an edict of human galactic supremacy (which I don't consider a bad thing given the other tribes).

In addition, the Wiki article shows the direct parallels between the characters and their Greek mythological counterparts. This is prompting me to do some more reading of Greek mythology, the better to understand these characters.

With the events in the latest episode, it looks like we may just be an improvement on the galactic status quo. Don't count Mehitaka out just yet...

Newton

Post by Newton » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 pm

I'm also feeling some fan-art coming on. Berserk (or uber-berserk) Belcross was a beautiful thing. Very Guyveresque, but just so... BADASS.

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:54 pm

I just finished watching Heroic Age #20. For all of you who have wondered, "where's the next great space opera?", well it's on now. To miss this show is a crime. Period.

Heroic Age has just ratcheted up the pressure since Episode 1. Between its Greek-mythology fueled plot, the enigma of the Golden Tribe who left this universe for a higher plane, and a cast of characters that are right up any Yamato fan's alley, it's a sin and a shame to let this show pass you by. The only thing more sinful is that apparently NO ONE HAS PICKED THIS SHOW UP FOR DISTRIBUTION.

For the other Yamato fans, this show is sportin' the best fleet combat since LoGH, coupled with uchuu-kaijuu combat the likes of which have not been seen since Gunbuster. People, I just watched a creature that SPITS BLACK HOLES utterly destroy three battle fleets! The collateral damage alone from the heroes' intervention wastes more starships than any given German-Federation main battle. I'm talking by way of "Oopsie, I miscalculated the reflection angle of that last incoming barrage - my bad!" as the entire rear of the fleet is vaporized.

On another note, this show is a fantastic contrast to "Toward the Terra". In that show, we're seeing the cost of blindly lashing out against evolution, and placing one's entire existence on a failed paradigm - humanity must be saved, even from its own evolution.. In "Heroic Age". the evolution of humanity is embraced, instead of shunned. Psionic powers are recognized as gifts, and humans are human, regardless of who has what abilities.

Both these shows are TOTAL JAMS, and must be seen to be believed. Please check out these shows. I believe that veoh.com has both "Terra e" and "Heroic Age" available for streaming viewing.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:53 am

Something happened at veoh.com. There are a lot less Heroic Age episodes these days. I can't even find episode 16 subtitled in English. Can anyone help?

tetsujin

Post by tetsujin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:55 pm

Thanks for posting about this. I'll def check it out. Guess I'll have to torrent it.

Newton

Post by Newton » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:51 am

Tach: I've got 'em all so far. I can ftp it to you if you wish.