Beginner's Guide to the Five Star Stories

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beginner's Guide to the Five Star Stories

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:35 pm

An interesting idea was put to me today. How about create a Beginner's Guide to FSS section in the FSS pages on Gears Online? This would include basic info on what's been published in Japan, published in the U.S. and a chart or list of all FSS books out there. If we miss a few books on the list it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be hard to track down images of the book/magazine covers online.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

gogolotus

Post by gogolotus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Sounds like a great plan! :D

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:47 pm

although A bibliography would be helpful, a general overview and synopsis might be more helpful-

I have been a fan of FSS for some time, but money woes and other factors have kept me from actively collecting any of the books.

I have a basic idea of the basic structure of the FSS universe and can get my head around some of the specific jargon- (I know what 'headliner', 'meight', and 'meister' mean, for instance.)

Where I get lost is in the basic 'who, what, when, when, where, why' stuff.

Everytime there is a new post, I get lost very quickly- what exactly is 'the majestic stand' or the 'sorceror wars'? Who/ What are the 'SATANS'? The list of questions goes on.

If it was not covered in the first 5 or 6 english volumes, (which New Sword lent me so long ago) I'm completely lost.

Most of the time- I feel like a complete newbie and It's hard to play catch up.

Trying to dig up any kind of continuity out of archived posts is like looking for 1/2 of a needle in a hundred haystacks. Nagano's habit's of jumping arround his own timeline, revising history, and almost never publishing anything- doesn't help.

If a bibliography is the first step, a brief synopsis attached to each volume detailing what the volume covers might certainly help also.

Just my 2 cents worth-

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:59 pm

While a Bibliography would help immensely, I think a Glossary of Terms would also go a long way toward relieving newbie-confusion syndrome. Thats something I've been wanting to work on for a while now. We just need some volunteers to help out...
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:01 am

Nightmare of Solomon wrote:although A bibliography would be helpful, a general overview and synopsis might be more helpful-

I have been a fan of FSS for some time, but money woes and other factors have kept me from actively collecting any of the books.

I have a basic idea of the basic structure of the FSS universe and can get my head around some of the specific jargon- (I know what 'headliner', 'meight', and 'meister' mean, for instance.)

Where I get lost is in the basic 'who, what, when, when, where, why' stuff.

Everytime there is a new post, I get lost very quickly- what exactly is 'the majestic stand' or the 'sorceror wars'? Who/ What are the 'SATANS'? The list of questions goes on.

If it was not covered in the first 5 or 6 english volumes, (which New Sword lent me so long ago) I'm completely lost.

Most of the time- I feel like a complete newbie and It's hard to play catch up.

Trying to dig up any kind of continuity out of archived posts is like looking for 1/2 of a needle in a hundred haystacks. Nagano's habit's of jumping arround his own timeline, revising history, and almost never publishing anything- doesn't help.

If a bibliography is the first step, a brief synopsis attached to each volume detailing what the volume covers might certainly help also.

Just my 2 cents worth-
All you gotta do is call me, I'll explain it to ya! (of course, I'm behind in some stuff now myself...I gotta rely on the people who can translate)
Shinei!

Zeon Elite SS

Post by Zeon Elite SS » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 am

i think the best idea would be to organize based on subject matter although the site has some good layouts going so far.

I myself am a new person to this series considering i just bought 5 books for the series to get a idea on it but other then that i cannot read the language so there for only thing i can understand is the images to a extent.

because i'm very new to this series i almost wouldn't know how to organize it per say but i do have a method on how to organize it in a generalized way.

what would be good to do first is to make a complete organized check list of all products related to FSS series. The reasoning for this is so that everyone has a idea on all publications and refrences of this vast world that is beyond complicated to the newest fan.

In a way Mark Simmons of the once great Gundam Project Website knew a thing or 2 about setting up a good web page for a Japaneses anime series that no one in the united states truly knew about till he brought it to everyones attention.

he was able to break everything down for even those who never seen the gundam series before and made it easy to navigate overall.

a product list on everything will be the first task for everyone to do and once that task has been taken on then you move from there on in from what information you have to work with.

then you focus on the planets them selfs and from the planets you then focus on the organizations and the organizations to the mecha and characters of the planets.

a glossary of terminology would due good as well. the reasoning behind this is to explain the various terms and words used within the series that are considered important to the readers to understand the importance of there meanings or in other words a dictionary of words based for the series as such or encyclopedia of sorts.

i noticed that the AKD had a major military organization going on within the book i picked up design works 1 and saw a large collection of rank badges and military uniforms.

what would be good is to take all the AKD military rank systems and information would be to translate it to English and display it. the system i noticed that the military uses is very similar to that of second world war German uniform concepts for i have plenty of subject books on the second world war so i am able to identify these things.

that would also be a project in mind.

before i make this way too long i will mention that in order to make it easier for the newbie fan to get involved would be to write up a main summary of each episode so that a person is able to atleast get a generalization review of the story itself helping the newbie reader find interest to buy actual copies of the books.

since FSS English marketing groups have done poorly in getting the word out to the people in a way its almost up to the fans to get the word out there by showing people what this story has to offer for the newer fans such as myself.

this will in a way help with marketing in the long run and help the general public get a clue of this vast series of manga.

this is just a idea i have in mind for i'm working on making my own series eventually but thats a project that will be down the road someday.

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:04 pm

Yup', could be a good idea. Well I still think that a wiki would be a good idea (forgot to reply to this in a site feedback discussion a few months ago^^, where Tachyon talks about a blog or something for gears where users could publish articles, as well as wanting to do an FSS wiki).

Indeed I think, well I feel like many message boards kind of suffer from the so called "web 2.0". Anyway several of the messageboards I visit, that used to be quite active are now more or less asleep.
Some real studies would confirm this or not, but I feel like community sites and instant messagers put a shadows on messageboards.

Concerning a wiki, I think using the basic wiki package would be a good idea. There are some sort of templates or script (to make tables or things like that) and CSS that could be copy paste from wikipedia to an FSS wiki.

Of course the big advantage are the direct link. Just put the link and wait for someone to make an article, no need to come back and edit all the code later.
But it takes a bit of planning I think to get it right. Cuz' if something's not that good, you may have to edit the page for each and every character for example.

But it'd be easy to make a glossary, product list and all redirecting directly to each item for more informations.

(of course it's easy to talk about it, but harder to set up, I agree^^ but yup', I think Gears needs a bit of "2.0" in it :wink: )