Gundam OO mecha designs - my thoughts

Mobile Suit Gundam and all its spinoffs

Moderator: kosh

Grebo Guru

Gundam OO mecha designs - my thoughts

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:41 pm

Hey all. I figured I'd post a rant-like "review" of the new designs for Double O. Like anyone cares... 8)

First thing I will say is that I am THRILLED that the new crop of Gundams were NOT designed by Okawara. Overall, I like these designs quite a bit -- the more I look at them, the more they grow on me. There's some welcome fresh air being breathed into the Gundam orthodoxy with these four, what with the Flash Gordon-like engine backpacks, the somewhat baroque jointing of the knees, the proportions, and all that. Same goes for the faces as well.

At the same time, these designs are somewhat understated -- almost conservative, yet still creative. There's an apparent absence of the elaborate gimmick-devices for which Okawara has become known lately. I'm a bit sad to see the count of crazy arms, shield binders, and other doodads decrease, but the trade-off is well worth it.

Also conservative is the fact that there's definitely a similar vibe to the GAT-X series from seed -- There four all seem to use the same basic body frame, with various modifications for each. Fine by me, and Im sure it make's Bandai's life easier. I expect the next crop(s) of Gundams will be more varied and more elaborate. The titular Double O should, if these MSs are any indication, be inspiring.

I should note that I'm trying to critique these Gundams' concepts, aesthetics, and execution, but not their PORTRAYAL -- as in Seed, these Gundams get distorted, dynamic "glamour poses" that don't tell you anything about the real design. If I went by those, I would be forced to love the friggin' Impulse Gundam.

Alright! Getting specific, I'll start with the Exia... Hm. Damn. The more I look at it, the more I like it! Its head is really snazzy. (AT LAST, a departure from the painfully-standardized Gundam head designs we've had to look at of late. I've been pining for face/head innovation like we saw in Zeta and Sentinel. Even Astray has been too consistent when it comes to the Gundams' faces, though much less so than the TV designs.) The seven blades gimmick is appealing, though I cant make them all out right now. The ones I do see are pretty neat-looking. The inclusion of light blue panels hearkens back to the Impulse, a bit, but works better here, and the black circles (perhaps lenses, or the mysterious GN system) are a welcome addition. Man, it's torso design is appealing... as is its pelvic design. I especially like it's rear skirt arrangement. (Nice ass!) Its legs seem a little underdesigned to me, given its head and torso, but of course underdesigned is a design choice as well. The only thing that actually bothers me about the design, though, is the shoulders. They are awfully uninspired, and a bit out of place on this design. Other than that, I love it!

Next, the Dynames. A less-than-exciting variant on the Exia frame. Kinda "blah" so far. Very much like the Buster Gundam, but without the spiffy combo-cannon gimmick (as far as I can tell). Not keen on the color scheme. Not crazy about the paltryness of its armor. If more green plating were distributed over more surfaces, and if it was shaped more interestingly, this could be a defensible design. I do like its ass-thrusters, though. Again, the shoulders are the weakest part of the design. The shoulder-shields are a viable idea but come out totally boring. Same for the knee boxes. The pelvic armor looks, probably unintentionally, like a flower or a bow. Right on the crotch. Oy.

The Kyrios: the Zeta of the group. It's noice! I love the tippy-toes shape of the feet. I love the big wing panels on the knees. I dig the thruster-y pelvic skirts. Again, the shoulders are not terribly inspired but at least they fit in and look suitably cool. The head and chest are sharp (in both ways), me likey. The legs are quite glamorous, and the thustery sidepanels on them are a great touch. Looks like we might have a waverider mode on our hards, what with all the black paneling. The forearms are nice too. I likes the Kyrios a lots!

The Virtue: Gah! This thing looks very Junya Ishigaki-ish. Very beefy... reminds me of his Wallabys from Gundam X. It is really, really nice to see a Gundam design that dares to have a drastically different body shape. I wonder if all that additonal armor can be ejected? Probably not. Man, this thing reminds me of the Gundam Feather-9 from one of those Dabasans vs Daisans "Meaningless War" doujinshi I have. That's a good thing though. Unlike the Sandrock or the Buster, this machine shouts its toughness out loud. And its head is neato too -- pugnacious and yet still Gundammy. Ya know, there's a very GP02-like vibe to this machine. That's a good thing as well. Those blocks on the shoulders, the huge lower legs... Its porportionally tiny feet are amusing. Not totally effective, perhaps, but amusing. It also has the best color scheme -- pretty much the same as the Nu Gundam (and the Crossbone X-1). Spiffy!!!

So, three out of four of these designs strongly please me, with one being just OK. Much better than previous Gundam shows, that's for sure! The character designs are a little willowy-looking, to me, what with the skintight, color-coded suits and all... sorta superhero-ish in a wimpy way. But that's alright, I'm mostly here for the robots. :-)

So, what do YOU guys think?

Grebo!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks for the review.

I've been seeing the designs in recent hobby magazines. I don't love them but I like them. It's a more healthy direction for Gundam.

I'm just sad that UC Gundam won't live on in anime (only manga and novels). *sniff*
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:59 pm

Tachyon wrote:I'm just sad that UC Gundam won't live on in anime (only manga and novels). *sniff*
Now now, Tach... I didn't say we'll never get new Universal Century ANIME, just that we won't get new Universal Century TELEVISION SHOWS.

We've been getting new UC anime in the form of Gundam Evolve, MS Igloo, video game cut scenes, etc. I'm sure we can look forward to more U.C.-era OVAs as well, someday. But TV shows? I don't think so.

And you're right -- the OO designs are indeed "a more healthy direction" for Gundam.

Grebo!

Mortified

Post by Mortified » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Grebo Guru wrote:the OO designs are indeed "a more healthy direction" for Gundam.
I don't know, to me they look like SEED and SRW had a kid when no one was looking. Although I am interested as to why they haven't shown a GN-004 yet.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:49 pm

Mortified wrote:I don't know, to me they look like SEED and SRW had a kid when no one was looking. Although I am interested as to why they haven't shown a GN-004 yet.
Well, considering that SRW covers absolutely every design aesthetic and approach that there is... Any mecha design at all is gonna bear some resemblance to SRW.

As for the idea of Seed and SRW having a kid... Well, that can only be an improvement upon pure Seed design, dont'cha think?

Grebo!

Newton

Post by Newton » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:03 pm

GG:

A very succinct and well-written review of the 00 designs. Kudos on some great writing!

I'm still sitting on the fence regarding these designs. Although they are a departure from the *stuff* we saw in Seed and Destiny, I'm still waiting for a return to some really innovative and cool-looking Gundam designs. Ahh, if only Ikuto Yamashita would be called in to design mechs for a new Gundam series... (oh, and I have seen his design for Victory Gundam. That's snazzy as hell!)

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:21 pm

Newton wrote:Ahh, if only Ikuto Yamashita would be called in to design mechs for a new Gundam series... (oh, and I have seen his design for Victory Gundam. That's snazzy as hell!)
Ah, um... LINK??!?? :wink:

2000YearsOldMan

Post by 2000YearsOldMan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:19 pm

I don't like the Gundam designs in this new show, the designs like screw off from SRX team. :cry:
Maybe they can combine too, (super robot gundam 00).
original gundam series rule.
my site www.ericguoart.com

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:54 pm

2000YearsOldMan wrote:I don't like the Gundam designs in this new show, the designs like screw off from SRX team. :cry:
Maybe they can combine too, (super robot gundam 00).
Actually, I think it would be really cool to someday see a combiner super robot gundam. (Of course, that's basically what the SRX is.)

I don't really see what's to dislike about these MSs, generally, but I gotta reiterate... Saying that they look like they're from Super Robot Wars is pretty empty, considering that there is no unifying theme to SRW design -- other than covering every and any and all mecha design.

Grebo

"Man, that Getter Robo looks like something from SRW. And hey, so does that Scopedog! And hey, so does that Zeta Gundam! And so does that Apharmd! And so does that Valkyrie! And so does that Zeorymer! And so does that Xabungle! And so does....." etc

Mortified

Post by Mortified » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:10 pm

You may consider it an empty argument, but don't you think its a bit weird that everyone else seems to notice the similarities?

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:59 am

Well, I think there must be some specific series of mecha within SRW that people are thinking of. I'm not sure which ones... not the SRX team. Perhaps, uh, hmmm... the Excellence line of mechs?

EZero8

Post by EZero8 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:15 am

I like these new designs really. The new approach to some of them is really nice, and they look awesome in my opinion. Skinny with high-mobility, and they all share a basic frame (thus appearing "multi-role"-esque like the F90).

They all lack the "big backpack" issue that plagues the CE mechs, so that's a plus. I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:06 am

According to AmuroNT1 at Mecha Talk, the 00's mecha designer is same guy who done original mecha in SRW W, Takayuki Yanase.

And that explain why it look quite nice :wink: .
Justice will never lose!

Engage

Post by Engage » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:16 am

I've been wondering: What makes the seven blade gimmick so appealing? I've asked alot of my friends and they can't seem to come up with a straight answer.

EZero8

Post by EZero8 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:40 am

For me, the thought of having so many swords give off an "assailant" feeling for the Exia, and that seems to be the whole drive for the Exia's design. Speedy, manuverable, and high mobility all help to make good use of various blades. :twisted: