Trades, Sales and Exchanges of FSS Items

Moderator: kosh

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun May 20, 2007 2:24 pm

So, yeah... you don't like this Auge...

Why on earth did you start this thread?? :|

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Sun May 20, 2007 4:14 pm

happy hopping wrote:And what about the stinky smell? Half of the miniature collectors in HK have criticize then Art Gallery on the unbearable stinky smell of the type of resin they use.

That kit is composed of those stinky smell type resin. Quite frankly, if that kind of chemical smell doesn't cause cancer, I don't know what does.

So when it comes to health, even if the kit is perfectly sculpted, w/ that kind of resin, I wouldn't want that near the house.
So you've never actually worked with resin before.

Weak genes cause cancer. What does an extra chromosome in the 23 pair cause again?

sarion

Post by sarion » Mon May 21, 2007 1:41 pm

cool down pls everyone, it's unlike our normal atmosphere here.

i'm not sure abt the type of resin that happy is toking abt, but if it's the brittle type which we find in cheap recasts then i tend to agree that the material may not be that "good" for health.

of cos the normal white/brown resin found in original kits now still emit some smell during working, but i guess we should also take care of ourselves and use respirator as far as possible and not just in painting.

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon May 21, 2007 10:50 pm

I think a lot of modeling materials and supplies are not great for your health. That's why you take precautions.

I know that when I open the box of a brand new Volks kit, there's a LOT of smell.

sarion

Post by sarion » Thu May 24, 2007 2:57 pm

next time wear a respirator from the point we start opening the box :P

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu May 24, 2007 9:25 pm

cobywan wrote:
Weak genes cause cancer. What does an extra chromosome in the 23 pair cause again?
It's a well known fact that mid to long term exposure of chemical causes cancer.

Those stinky smell resin use by Art Gallery is the worst resin you can find. These compounds are relatives of benzene (known as aromatics), they are basically a benzene ring with one (toluene) or two (xylene) methyl groups attached. But the benzene part is the carcinogen, mid to long term exposure of these compounds will cause cancer. If you work on resin before, you would know.

What is the thesis of your MD degree again?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu May 24, 2007 9:26 pm

elemental wrote:So, yeah... you don't like this Auge...

Why on earth did you start this thread?? :|
I start the thread to comment on the poor workmanship and the very poor resin that ARt Gallery use, when that co. was still around.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

Mortified

Post by Mortified » Thu May 24, 2007 11:16 pm

How long are you guys going to drag this on? The kit didn't sell, so lets just move on ok?

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri May 25, 2007 1:00 am

Mortified wrote:How long are you guys going to drag this on? The kit didn't sell, so lets just move on ok?
But this is the liveliest conversation we've had in the FSS forums (on the whole board?) in weeks.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri May 25, 2007 3:16 am

Liveliest thread in months :( And it's not even a very good one, is it? Oh if only there were some new kits to talk about...

Being a FSS fan is one huge exercise in patience...

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Fri May 25, 2007 6:27 am

happy hopping wrote:
cobywan wrote:
What is the thesis of your MD degree again?
Obviously you don't have one either if you didn't understand what I was suggeting you might be.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:37 am

Just thought I'd bump this hilarious and interesting thread.

As a sometime sculptor I can see what hh is complaining about. One of the reasons I'm happy to belong to building forums is that it helps keep me honest about the level of my work.

I'm getting to the point now where I really want to stop "just letting something slide" like a little mark remaining on an otherwise well-erased seam.

I've been working on an old Wave IP 1/100 Vatshu for a couple months now and the quality of the original is very poor, but I still like it because I like cleaning up a bad kit and making it better. I got it cheap too, when a shop was going out of business.

If I had paid full price for it I'd probably be annoyed for a while at least. I don't have alot of disposable income and I don't have alot of space to display finished kits, much less store unbuilt ones.

Different people get into kit building for different reasons. Not everyone can afford (in terms of money or skills) to build and paint loads of kits.

I'm glad that people like hh and everyone else here keep their eyes open on eBay and elsewhere to make sure that "bad" kits don't get sold to people who would feel ripped off.

It turns out that the kit on this thread didn't sell. Maybe if the seller relists it at a lower price (with no reserve, perhaps) one of us who doesn't mind the defects pointed out here will buy it.

Maybe some of us could even use information like this to try to get a seller to lower a price on a poor quality kit.

I haven't posted here for a while - it's nice to be back again :)

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:56 am

cobywan wrote:
Obviously you don't have one either if you didn't understand what I was suggeting you might be.
Since weak genes cause cancer, you obviously have the strong genes. So other members needed to be caution against those Art Gallery bad resin, you obviously don't need to.

So sniff those resin long and hard as many times as you can.

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet