Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Newtype Manga Scans

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:00 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/manga/

Here's the first submission. It's April 2004, right?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:07 am

Having a problem viewing the manga scans.

The pics originaly load HUGE, but then my computer adjusts the size and the manga scans come out horrible. There's some odd shading to them that destroyes the visual quality when viewed at the reduced size.

I'll try to see if I can fix it on my end. I doubt its a problem with the site...
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:14 am

yes its from NT April 2004.

Sorry for the picture quality, I've got it from the net :? .

I'll start sending the rest. Do u need Vol 11 scans too? (40+MB >.<)

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:51 am

Guys, if u have other issues, please contribute the scans? Thanks :wink:

Total scans that I've sent:

2003-7*
2003-8
2004-1*
2004-4
2004-5
2004-6
2004-7
2004-8
2004-9 (no manga this issue)

Did u get all of them? There's some problem when I was sending the files >.<

Please let me know if u want 2003-7 (Chinese) and Vol 11 (40+MB).

EDIT: Just found 2003-7 Jap and 2004-1. Sending them to u now. Hope we get the complete "vol 12" :)
Last edited by Rubel Colus on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:47 am

Thanks for the April scans, the CORNERRA ELECTRO KNIGHT yesss !!!!

I can forward Sept 03 > March 04 to Tachyon.
Tachyon, how do you want these ? I big zip ? Several email attachments ?

or, hook me up with July 04 and I'll send you the whole of vol.12.

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:20 pm

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Having a problem viewing the manga scans.

The pics originaly load HUGE, but then my computer adjusts the size and the manga scans come out horrible. There's some odd shading to them that destroyes the visual quality when viewed at the reduced size.

I'll try to see if I can fix it on my end. I doubt its a problem with the site...
Mmh yup', that's normal, some software resize the picture but don't change the sample (I'm not sure of the english word).
In photoshop there are several sampling options that are used each time you modify the size, rotate, transform a picture :
-none
-bilinear
-bicubic
which respectively consist in :
-crap
-resampling based on the pixels aside another one on the same line
-resampling based on the pixels around another one.

Well more seriously I say crap, but it can be useful if you want to do a sort of pixel artwork, otherwise you always use the bicubic method (I wonder what the bilinear option is useful to... I never used it).

What happens here is that internet browsers are not graphic softwares and as such don't have "advanced" resample fonction, so it resamples the picture with the "none" method, not the bicubic method, so what happens is that it simply calculates how many times the picture has been shrunk in relation to the original size, and then takes one of the original pixel every "X" times it's been shrunk.
That's why in the case of a manga, with lots of frame (well I'm not sure of the word, I'm talking about the pattern made of B&W points^^), several pixels of the same shade may end side by side and create a totally ugly pattern.

In this case, you may save it on your HDD and if you have XP, you should have a sort of document/picture viewer (it's icon is a landscape). This software is very limited, but at least it does a good resampling.
If you have ACDSee or another picture viewer, it should work correctly too.

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:51 pm

erm, just resize it in photoshop.

Otherwise view it in whatever applications you use at 100% or 1:1 and pan around the screen.

The Scan is great quality when viewed correctly.

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:54 pm

So Tachyon, how do you want those files ?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:01 pm

I'm glad people like the manga scans page. I did it real quickly so there's no style adjustments. When I get more time I'll "pretty it up."

I checked my Email box today (Web interface) and I can see people have sent me more manga scans. Great! I should be able to post them up Saturday. Today is Friday and after work my wife has a birthday party.

1 big .zip file should be fine for submissions.

Nu Soard, if you're using Internet Explorer pull down Tools and hit Internet Options. Scroll down to Multimedia and uncheck Enable Automatic Image Resizing. That should fix your problem.

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:12 pm

Tachyon, that mail bounced.
The zip is 25mB
Is there another way I could upload it ?

THX

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:16 pm

Hey Tachyon, thanks.
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:59 pm

http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/manga/

I added January '04, May '04 and September '04.

People have offered to send me scans for volume 11 of the Japanese FSS manga. Thank you for the offers but I think it would be best to not display manga pages that have already been published in books. Offering the Newtype scans is cool because a lot of people outside Japan have trouble getting them and they want to see what they're missing. Most FSS fans that would be willing to look over the pages in Japanese have already purchased their own copy of volume 11.

I have July and August of 2003. Would someone please tell me if those are part of volume 11 or not? I'll try to pop them up today but I need help finding the point at which volume 11 ends and [what will be] volume 12 begins.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:59 am

July and August of 2003 are the very beginnings of Volume 12. You are good to go there.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:02 am

Speaking of September 2003 issue.

Did anyone notice the last few pages?

Borusha and Nein were obviously discussing the myth about the origin of the Dragons (told to a kid by Sop at the beginning of Volume 6) and continued it beyond what was told in volume 6.

The king of the Princess that sacrificed her life to bring the Dragons to Both went on to fight the OPQL. On his back was the Lion of Babylon which is the symbol of Rognar's nation!!!!

I'm like, WTF!

I need a translation! Anyone? Bheuller?
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:51 am

If you're talking about the last 2 pages of NT 2003-August, I can try to translate it. But my language is very :oops: "limited" :oops: I hope I dont make much mistake here. If i do make any mistakes, or u have a better translation, please feel free to correct me. :)

I'd consider this a spoiler?

**** SPOILERS ****

I'd start at the conversation between Funfuto and the Young Dragon Yan Qi. It is actually Nein talking "thru" Yan Qi.

Yan Qi/Nein:
Have you heard about the myth of the Water of Life? Funfuto...

Funfuto:
Yes...

The devils, who came to Both and tried to obtain the Water of Life, were defeated by the dragons which were summoned at the sacrifice of the princess...

Yan Qi/Nein:
In our history when we the Super Empire first arrived on this planet and met the Dragons for the first time... This is the truth...

Funfuto:
Now it has become a myth... The people of Planet Both have always respected the Dragons and it has become their way of life...

Yan Qi/Nein:
Is that so... But Funfuto... It's not yet gone...

The myth continues

The King was deeply grieved at the death of his daughter, at the same time, he also expected the devils' return.

The King wanted to retain his daughter's "heart", and also to protect the country, so he went to LED Dragon for help.

LED Dragon obtained a pearl from the body of the princess and gave it to the King... The pearl split up into countless parts and since then they were kept by the King.

The King took great care in safekeeping them, and everytime when the devils attack, a pearl will take the form of a man and he will fight along with the dragons against the devils.

The fighter is the super-natural undying king: King Kallamity Goderce. Over thousands and tens of thousands of years, he has always protected the planet of Kallamity.

Funfuto:
Planet Kallamity? Isnt it Planet Both?

Yan Qi/Nein:
This myth... and our history totally contradicts each other...

But it probably isnt untrue especially the last part which leaves an impression.

"The last pearl created from Princess Ieatta's heart was engulfed in flames and formed the undying King Goderce. Together with the Emperor of Light, he controls the orange dragon which splits out flames to destroy his home planet: Planet Kallamity"...