Character Names - Fanboy Heresies

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Character Names - Fanboy Heresies

Post by Tachyon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:22 am

I titled this post "Fanboy Heresies" because I challenge long-accepted spellings of character names. Why should we spell it Dougulas Kaien when Douglas looks and sounds so much better (and seems to match nicely with ダグラス found on page 4 of manga volume 4)? And what about Fillmore's finest, Vralgo and Blreno? We get those spellings from Characters 2, page 17. The early Characters art books were full of wacky spellings. Look at page 8 of manga volume 3 and page 9 of manga volume 2 (first edition). Blreno's name is spelled ブルーノ. Looks like Bruno to me! Vralgo's name is spelled ラルゴ. Isn't that Largo?

The English editions of FSS manga back up the wacky spellings. Issue 4 (2nd edition) pages 75 and 76 back up the spellings found in Characters 2. I argue that we should give more weight to the first appearances in print of the characters' names (usually in katakana).

Am I alone in this heresy?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:39 am

Not at all.

Its just that most people tend to go with the phoenetic spellings based on the Katakana. For example, the Katakana for the main character from hellsing is Arucarudo. Obviously, this is supposed to be "Alucard" (Dracula backwards) but I've argued with several Hellsing fanboys who insist its supposed to be Arucard, because thats what the katakana says. What these fanboys don't realise is thats because the Japanese language doesn't include the letter "L" and "R" often replaces it.

Of course, I wouldn't mind changing the characters names at all, however I think the Katakana-ized versions are the ones we've been used to seeing for so long and thats why we use them.

Of course, some of it is Nagano's fault and his incredibly poor Engrish when doing some of the earlier characters works. At least he has people to check the english these days.
Shinei!

hitori

Post by hitori » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:53 am

I am in the "let them spell it whichever way she/he wants" camp. :D
If the author wants to input a little bit of creativity to naming, whether intentional or not we should respect it.
Those characters exist in their own individual worlds, not ours.

Reusing previously mentioned example, Hellsing's Alucard is completely unlike Bram Stoker's Count.
Nor is he like Alucard of Castlevania series.
He's very much original to Kouta Hirano's world. (BTW, his name in kana is Aa-Ka-Do not Arucarudo)
So calling him Akado would be completely fine I think; despite the obvious origin.

If Nagano wants to name his character 靜 and read it Ssizz (though 靜 should be read Shizuka when used in a name), that's his license.

If we repeat the mistakes of some websites like renaming Devoncha and Barunja to Devonshire and Barunshire that'd be pretty sad.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:20 pm

If the author wants to input a little bit of creativity to naming, whether intentional or not we should respect it.
If it was intentional I agree we should respect it. If it wasn't intentional I don't think we should respect it.

I'm going to list the character names as they appear in the English version of the FSS manga but I'm going to list the alternate spellings in notes following the profiles.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:03 pm

Maybe Vralgo or Blreno were spelt that way to get a certain feel to their names... who knows :D

you can never spell them right becoz they were never meant to be in English

or rather the author was never consistent with his spellings xD

its quite a disappointment becoz in this day and age, i thought we have computers, databases, spell-checkers and such but yet many authors do not keep consistancy. Even some of the katakana names in FSS are written in more than one version :S

well, for me, its "spell it whichever way you want" too, as long as it sounds similar.... xD
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)