Some questions from a newbie

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

nkn1983

Some questions from a newbie

Post by nkn1983 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:11 am

Hi everyone, I just got into FSS recently and am in track of hunting down some books. Anyway a few questions to the veterans here:
-are the characters and characters plus books worth having? are they rare and costly?
-what are the adler 2989 and juno 2989 books?
-i've seen some P1, P2 and so on books, what are they?
-knight flags and smoke walls these 2 books are so expensive, are they really worth the price? what's the cheapest i should expect to pay for each?
-finally i'd like a list of the books worth having (except the manga of course) if possible
Thanks

Edit: I happen to be in possession of the FSS VHS, is it worth anything? I don't have a VHS player so it's useless for me, just taking up place so I was thinking of throwing it away.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:41 am

Hi, nkn1983!

I don't think I count as a veteran but I'm certainly a fan.
are the characters and characters plus books worth having? are they rare and costly?
Characters 2 and 4 are both for sale at Hobbylink Japan for $12.61 each. They aren't rare and I think they're worth having. Characters 1, 6, 7 and 8 are more rare but, again, worth having if you're a FSS fan. Characters 3 and 5 are quite rare but I don't think they're worth having unless you're a serious Nagano fan. Mandarake's Web site has Characters 1 for less than $12. I saw the other Characters books on the shelves of used book stores in Tokyo in May of this year. If you go looking, you can find them. Personally, if you have the other books I don't think the Characters Plus books are worth worrying about.
-what are the adler 2989 and juno 2989 books?
I don't think I've seen those books.
-i've seen some P1, P2 and so on books, what are they?
Gosh. I don't know.
-knight flags and smoke walls these 2 books are so expensive, are they really worth the price? what's the cheapest i should expect to pay for each?
Two very cool books. Lots of great color art and good information if you can read Japanese. As for cheapest, KF is listed for $60 at HLJ but they claim they can't sell it anymore. Same story for Smoke Walls (although it's listed for $40).
-finally i'd like a list of the books worth having (except the manga of course) if possible
A lot of the Characters images and info is reprinted in the backs of issues of the translated FSS manga. However, for a list of great FSS illustration books, I would say:
Knight Flags
Smoke Walls
Characters 4, 7 and 8
Twin Towers (which is actually Characters 6)
Plastic Style
FSS Designs 1

I happen to be in possession of the FSS VHS, is it worth anything?
The resale value is probably quite low but the movie is great. I have it subtitled on DVD. I watch it every so often.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:40 am

Hey!

Welcome to Gears! :D

Regarding the "P" series, they're more Mamoru Nagano fanbooks than FSS books. I've got some of them.

As far as Knight Flags, check AKADot.com. I seem to remember them still having Knight Flags. If you shop around, you should still be able to find a copy of Smoke Walls floating about on the 'Net.

nkn1983

Post by nkn1983 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:29 am

Thanks guys for the replies. Newton would you mind me asking what's the deal with the P books? I mean are they text heavy? Any illustrations not found in other books?
I do know akadot still has the Knight Flags book, but they want $100 for it, which at the moment is a pass for me. I can't seem to find the Smoke Walls book anywhere though, if someone spots it please let me know. Or better yet if someone wants to part with his/her copy definitely let me know :wink: .
One last thing, I should post this in the other thread but oh well - regarding the F.S.S. School Designs book, it's still kinda new from what I understand and I'd like to snatch a copy for myself, but it doesn't seem like HLJ nor Amazon Japan have them at all, what gives? Anyone knows where I could order it from?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:49 pm

http://www.gearsonline.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1608
regarding the F.S.S. School Designs book, it's still kinda new from what I understand and I'd like to snatch a copy for myself, but it doesn't seem like HLJ nor Amazon Japan have them at all, what gives? Anyone knows where I could order it from?
Check the link above.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:29 pm

hi nkn1983

Characters Plus 1~4 are compiled into Characters 7 Dragon Klein, but some sketches and other stuff are not brought over.

Addler 2988 and Juno 2989 (<--2 parts) are the first 3 japanese volumes of the manga itself. just that it is bigger in size (almost NT-sized) compared to the much smaller-sized jp manga volumes, and they're hard-cover. In japanese terms, it is something like a "collector's edition". Only the first 3 volumes are produced in this form.

P1~P7 are really for the *SUPER hardcore* fan (we call Mamoru Mania). They are a collection of reader's submissions and other stuff (abit of models, odds and ends etc). Very text-heavy and *NOT* really all-FSS.

Knight Flags is a very big book, lots of text and beautiful color art, although very expensive but its totally worth it in my opinion!!

Smoke walls has much lesser pages but similarly has some character/MH color art, and what many people loves - MH internal structure. Nagano shows the internal parts of a MH (Neptune in this case).

Highly recommended (in my opinion :wink: ):
FSS Designs 1 (lots and lots of art! esp for the Mirage Knights/AKD fans)
Knight Flags
Smoke Walls (esp the MH internal structure)
Twin Tower (a must have for jagd mirage/twin tower fan)

others in the Characters series is good for fss fans. you will find some art is repeated though.

only for hardcore fans - Characters Plus series (since it is replaced by characters 7)

only for super hardcore fans - Publishers P1~P7
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

nkn1983

Post by nkn1983 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:18 pm

Tachyon: I know about that thread, I was just being lazy sorry :oops: .

Rubel Colus: That was really a really comprehensive explanation, thank you so much. I guess I'll make a pass on Addler and Juno books, as well as the P books (I'm a big fan but I don't think I could be considered a hardcore fan). I'll try to get all the books you guys recommended.

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 pm

nkn:

Rubel's answer is spot-on. I'd follow his advice for scoring the FSS books. Oh, and save up your shekels for Knight Flags -- it's worth the price of admission, trust me!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:01 am

I don't yet have FSS Designs 1 (much to my dismay) but I can echo the sentiments of others that Knights Flag, Smoke Walls, Twin Towers and various Characters series books are well worth the effort of tracking them down. Especially if you want to consider yourself a hardcore FSS fan (esp Knights Flag. A FSS fan without that book is kinda like a Trekkie without a Starfleet Design Manual)

My next purchase is definately going to be FSS Designs 1. Anyone know where I can score one over the web?
Shinei!

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:17 pm

NSG > U gotta watch out for the bootleg. The original is 17x pages, while the bootleg is only 156 pages. Of coz if u are getting from reputable sources there should not be any problem.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:25 pm

Héhé :P

There are 2 FSS Designs on ebay, that I suppose (hope) are originals (for respectively 40 & 70 :shock: dollars, that's why I hope so^^) both from Japan I think, "buy it now" in some ebay stores.

I haven't seen the bootleg for a few months now (wel lat least I haven't seen any FSS Designs at 25$...)

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:42 pm

Probably the most "all-arround" good book relating to FSS I have personally seen is the "FSS Episode Guide" As far as I can tell, no-one mentioned it here. (unless it goes by another title)

It includes character, mecha, and plot profiles that are very comprehensive-along with 'relationship trees' and an anotated and illustrated timeline of the Joker universe-(of course alltext is in Japanese.)

It suffers only in that all the illustrations are rather small-and it only covers events in the manga prior to the publishing of the 'Majaestic Stand' story arc.

But if you want one reasonably priced resource book, rather than a bookcase full of smaller ones- I would highly recommend this volume.

nkn1983

Post by nkn1983 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:30 am

I've just ran a search on ebay and the Designs books available are authentic products as far as I can tell, well the one from seller otakudotcom is real for sure. Akadot also has it but I think it was about $43 something. As for the bootleg I saw it about a month ago I think, as a rule of thumb if the seller is from HK (no offense) then I always presume it's a bootleg.
I'm most definitely eyeing the Episode Guide book, but I really don't mind having all other books as well. I collect anime and game artbooks (must be close to 200 books now) so having more books is actually more desireable :D

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:45 pm

The reason why I didn't mention the Episode Guide was because the pictures found within it aren't very large and there's a lot of text. I do consider it a must have for completists, but for the casual collector, its not really necessary.
Shinei!

nkn1983

Post by nkn1983 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:13 am

Just got my books in last week and wanted to show you guys what I got

Of course I still need to get the Smoke Walls book but no luck so far. Is there any other book I should get. I have to say while some books (the larger ones like Knight Flags or Plastic Style) are great, some others did not quite do it for me. Overall though I'm satisfied. I might part with some of them though so if anyone's interested let me know.
Oh and I've started reading the manga, so far it's intriguing to say the least, I'll have to reread a few times I think to get everything right as I am really confused about a few (ok a lot of) things. Have only until vol 12 though.

Finally there're these 2 books that I think are more suited to the really hardcore Nagano fans, if any of you want I'll give them to you for free, just pay the shipping (from Canada):