Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Hydra Mirage

English Vol.21&22

Post by Hydra Mirage » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:45 pm

Aw yeah !
Finally were into The Chevaliers.
These two issues are great.

I especially love the Empress Flame, Cluster Empire and all the Hathuha background in the story.

more more more !!!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:08 am

Agreed!

HOWEVER! Notice something about Volumes 21 and 22. They encompass 90% of Japanese volume 9. That means volume 23 is either going to be a good chunk (50+ pages worth) of volume 10 or they intend to include a lot of background information for The Majestic Stand portion of the FSS in volume 23...since there are so many new characters and nations and MH's appearing in this latest chapter, that would be the smart thing to do.

I sincerely hope thats whats going on, but I'm not counting on it.

Can't wait until Volume 10 is translated. Some good stuff going on in there...
Shinei!

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:28 pm

Either way the next english vol. should be great.
I'd love them to release a translated Characters issue, especially with all the new mecha.
Does Kinokuniya stock issues of 'Characters' in the west ?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:26 am

Yes they do.

They generaly keep on hand Characters 1, 2, 4, 7, Knight Flags and Smoke Walls. Sometimes they might have Plastics Style or Joker 3100 available.
Shinei!

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:20 pm

Oh yeah,
Did you notice the new cover art ?
Very Statue of Liberty.
I wonder if it was because of the bare breasts on vol.9 ?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:18 am

Hydra Mirage wrote:Oh yeah,
Did you notice the new cover art ?
Very Statue of Liberty.
I wonder if it was because of the bare breasts on vol.9 ?
Yes, I was wondering why they changed the cover to Volume 9. Very strange.
Shinei!

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:08 pm

I'm still waiting for my local Kino to get copies of v21 and v22. :(

Falk

Post by Falk » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:01 pm

Plop^^

Mmh as I said in the "FSS newbie" topic, I have a problem with the various FSS editions.

I would like to buy some books at akadot, but the cover thumbnails are different.

I mailed them to ask some precisions, they replied quickly (in the same afternoon), though when it comes to precise description, my unperfect english shows its limits.

So this is what I asked :
Hi^^

First I'm french, so sorry for my unperfect english^^
I'd like to buy some FSS books, but I think there are 2 different editions :
-the orignial one from Toyspress
-one from Diamond who recently aquired the rights to publish and distribute
FSS.

I think the content is the same (though I'm not sure), but the problem (one
big problem !) is that the side of the books won't be the same on the shelf
if I buy from both editions.
Well more seriously, I'd prefer to buy from the same edition I started with,
the one from Toyspress.

But as I was ready to order some books, I noticed the cover thumbnails of
the books I choose are from the Diamond edition, also the price is 1$
cheaper than what I'm used too, which makes me think this may be the DIamond
edition.
(On the FSS page (this one :
http://www.akadotretail.com/shop/shop_s ... ?id=fssset ) :
-the 9 first thumbnails are from the japanese covers (romanian numbers on
the middle)
-book 9 to book 12 are from the Diamond covers (smaller square than usual
and vertical colored lines)
-book 13 to 22 are from the toypress edition (big square, no vertical
colored lines)

So could you precise me if you sell both editions, or only one edition
depending on the number of the books, or if you could specifically ship one
edition rather than the other.

Well I know I'm quite boring for not such a big deal, but that's FSS we're
talking about !
Thanks in advance,
Guillaume.
And this is the reply I got :
Hi Guillaume!
All of the Five Star Stories books we have are published under Toypress.
Diamond distributes them, but doesn't publish them. There are two published formats of the books, however not to separate versions. Volumes 1-12 are flatter and don't have a true binding, whereas 13-22 are more mook-like in shape with the volume numbers and title clearly legible if stood upright on a shelf. They also changed the numbering system from roman numerals on these latter volumes. Otherwise, they all open the same way, and are the
same size.

Amy
Catch-all Ninja
As "mook" isn't in my dictionnary, I don't get what she means.
I don't really see why half of the books would be flatter, as it's always quite the same amount of pages. I wouldn't want to have some book with visible staples or whatever like that.
And I'd really prefer to see the same "layout" when the books are on the shelf.
I have books 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8 (yeah I got them a bit randomly as the book numbers are not diplayed on amazon :roll: :wink: ), and I don't consider they're flat. They're not that big but there's only ~70 pages, the cover is soft, and the pages are glued, no staples.

When Diamond got the rights to distribute FSS there was talks about it on WaxTrax, about the different covers, questions to know if the content is the same (particularly the info pages), etc etc.

Could anyone clear my mind about that once and for all ? :D :wink: With pictures if possible^^ :p

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:10 pm

I can clear this up.
I have vol 1-12 (which i bought in Japan) they have stables and thus a wedge shaped spine.
Vol 13-22, which I bought in NY have a proper book (not mook!) spine.
So you can read the information printed down the spine. Also the border graphics are different, with a black background.

Hope this clears the problem up.
i'm not sure if vol 1-12 are available with a proper spine.
Personally I am not going to buy them again (I have the original Japanese volumes as well)

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:00 pm

Books 1-12 are available in the old format only (afaik) Books 13+ are only available in the new format.

If Toyspress decides to reprint 1-12 (low probability) then they would likely shift to the new format.
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:30 am

AAAAHHH !!! I'm getting mad ! I understand nothing at all :P

If I understand well what you say Hydra ans Nu, it means that half of the FSS collection (1~12) looks one way, and the other half (13~23) looks another way, right ?

I have books 1 2 3 4 7 8 and they have NO STAPLES, no WEDGED spine, no vertical color lines, in my books the pages are GLUED and the spine is FLAT and I can clearly see the info and the color on top and bottom of the spine, and the background is black, I think that's called paperback right ? Or TPB ? And I want the same for book 5 6 9 and moooore :p

I've spend a lot of time looking for some online store with books 5 6 & 9 available, there are a few ones, but my desperate quest does not end so easily, when I finally reach what looks to be heaven I then have to find out if it's the new or old edition (some are labelled as "april 04" some "march 03", while it's the same book number), haha, the gods are players, now you may think that if I find the good edition, my quest is over, right ? Hell no ! There's the final boss ! A mighty two headed dragon, one head is called Postage the other one is called Package ! The P&P are O-VER-PRICED ! There's no way I'm gonna pay so much, for this price they must give a free MH kit as a gift ! ~4,5US$ for shipment, and ~4,5USD for each book ! :shock:
If I buy 3 it makes 4,5+3*4,5=~18USD for 3 small books ! I could buy 2 more books for this price !
The P&P for a Berzerk Führer on HLJ are way cheaper while the box is heavy and could contain my head !

Boohoohoo I'm lost :p

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:50 am

Hi Falk,

Owen from waxtrax here...

If your books have no staples and have a definite spine, you have the new squarebound editions (the diamond version, as you called it before). I've not seen any of the old stapled versions for quite some time now, so chances are you won't have a problem with those.

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:30 pm

Hi Owen^^
Welcome here

So if I understand well, there have been a re-edition, but which occured before Diamon got the rights to distribute FSS.
If I make a chrono frame, is it somethign like this :
-english edition, with staples and hard wedges (bought by Hydra and Nu "long" ago
-sometime, a re-edition, this time with a "true" spine, and no staples, so books 1~12 have two different editions
-2004 : rights aquired by Diamond, but no change in the layout, exactly the same books.

Is that right ? Or still not ? :p
Cuz' what's weird is that akadot seems to be selling the old edition of the first 12 books, which tends to show I may have the old edition if I'm unlucky.

And what exactly is the edition with vertical colored lines and a smaller square with the number in it ? Is it the stapled version ? (mmh, I feel like I'm being boring am I ?)

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:08 pm

-english edition, with staples and hard wedges (bought by Hydra and Nu "long" ago
-sometime, a re-edition, this time with a "true" spine, and no staples, so books 1~12 have two different editions
-2004 : rights aquired by Diamond, but no change in the layout, exactly the same books.

Is that right ?
Yes
(mmh, I feel like I'm being boring am I ?)
Maybe