5 Star Newb! Help me

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Altron

5 Star Newb! Help me

Post by Altron » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:41 pm

Could someone fill me in on what Five Star Stories is about?

From what i've heard all around, it seems like a good mecha, so fill me in and i will start watching it!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:56 pm

Five Star Stories by Nagano Mamoru is primarily a manga series. It has 11 books out in Japan and 18 issues out translated in the U.S. (the Japanese books have more pages than the English issues do).

The only animation ever done was the Five Star Stories movie which covered the events of the first Japanese manga book. It took some liberties with the details of the story but it's the same basic story.

http://www.heika.net/
is a good place to learn more about it.

You can buy the English issues here.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:30 am

The Five Star Stories is absolutely fantastic!

If you like manga and mecha and super-powered martial arts science-fantasy, then it doesn't get any better than FSS. It is completely unique amongst manga. Totally different from the current trend of cookie-cutter series being manufactured these days.

Mamorou Nagano is one of the finest manga artists around these days (I don't really like the current trend of manga art. I'm from the old-school with the likes of Asamiya, Shirow and Sonada) and his mecha designs are unmatched (especially in recent years).

I highly recommend that you (and anyone else reading this) check it out. Just pick up any issue of Newtype and you'll find it. If the artwork grabs you, go to the link that Tachyon posted above and order the first few issues. Trust me, its well worth it.

Btw, the FSS manga began as a serial in Newtype back in 1986 and its still going today. 11 books have been produced and book #12 is being drawn now.

Here's a sample of his work here.
Shinei!

Falk

Post by Falk » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:39 pm

Erf, I was ready to order a few english books, but amazon has nothing in stock. So I looked at akadot, but it some of the book thumbnails are of the new edition (diamond rather than kinokunyia or whatever ?).

If that's all there is, I'll go for it, but I'd ready prefere to see the same side when the books are on the shelf.

So do you now anything about the editions ? Is the content the same ? (book 5, 6 and 9) Can I ask akadot to know if they can send me only the kinoblablablah edition ?

To Altron, well yup', FSS is simply great, I could say it's like star wars, but ten times better, if not more, and of course there are mecha^^.

Try to find some old and recent scans, cuz' in the first books the style aged a bit (as Nu Soard pointed out, they came out in 1986~1990), so you may have a wrong opinion about the whole saga, but look at the last ones too, the drawing is beautifull.

Mmh an FSS question, considering "Nu" is the title of sword master if I'm not mistaking, should we call you "Nu Soard" or "Soard" ? Well I mean, when they talk about Nu Soard Graphite in the manga, do they call him simply Soard, or is "Nu" a title that has to be said whenever you talk to the guy ?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:36 pm

They've barely referred to Nu Soard in the manga (he was in Japanese book 1 and doesn't appear again until Japanese book 10!)

I would assume that they would call him Nu Soard. Kinda like saying "Master Soard". I suppose that "Nu" is an honorific like Sensei or Sifu.
Shinei!