What's happening at GEARS

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Orguss Section Launched

Post by Tachyon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 pm

http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/

The Orguss section is complete. I'll make any needed revisions or additions. I'm not freezing it "as is" but I am done with the project.

Gall Force is next starting with Star Front. I don't think I'll have too many questions on this project. No one knows much about Star Front and Gall Force through Earth Chapter are available on DVD for viewing. I'm not doing Revolutions or the stuff that came after. I've heard the later stuff isn't very good.

The Gall Force section will focus on mecha. Character profiles with an image or 2 are ok. I'm not going to scan a lot of nice color images because no mecha is in them. If I tried to load up all Gall Force art the section would be huge and take a very long time. If anyone has any questions just let me know.

I'd like to take suggestions for what comes after Gall Force but I don't have material for many mecha shows/manga/games. I'll post a poll before long and we can discuss it. Although, I've had 2 people submit Cruise Chaser Blassty images so I'm leaning towards that. :D
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Tachyon-

Great work on the Orguss section!

I'm impressed with the overall ammount of detail-

A couple of mecha-related questions however:

1- In the section for the Emann scooter, the hanger area of the Glommar seems to have slots for something that loosely resembles a ' hover dunebuggy' - was this actually another vehicle? If so- are their detail pictures or a profile for it? I didn't see one in the Emann section-

2- in the Gallery section, the picture of Athena shows her weilding a hand weapon which appears to be similer to a lightsaber-Was this a weapon that she actually used in the series or was this an image specific device?Since both the Emann and Chiram sections have 'hand tool' and other personal mecha, was any thought given to profiling the 'small arms' or other hand weapons?

Thanks for all the hard work so far-

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. If I had no fellow fans to chat with I don't think I'd keep doing this.
In the section for the Emann scooter, the hanger area of the Glommar seems to have slots for something that loosely resembles a ' hover dunebuggy' - was this actually another vehicle?
It is another vehicle, yes. Taii and Jahby both used that type of vehicle when they needed to get around. There are no images of just that vehicle. The books I used were all displaying images from the studio's master source. After looking over the books very carefully (which I did during the construction of the Orguss section) I felt frustrated. I strongly suspect that there were a lot of images that just weren't used due to space restrictions, etc. If Orguss had been a more popular show there would have been bigger artbooks printed and put on store shelves. Just look at Dunbine and Macross (first TV series). Those 2 shows have hefty artbooks out there and new ones are created decades after the shows went off the air.

Just so you don't feel frustrated, look at these links:

http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/characters/tai2.jpg

http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/characters/jahby3.jpg
in the Gallery section, the picture of Athena shows her weilding a hand weapon which appears to be similer to a lightsaber-Was this a weapon that she actually used in the series or was this an image specific device?
I don't know. I didn't see images of that "laser sword" anywhere else in any of the books I used. I don't know of any books featuring Orguss images that I don't have. My guess is Mikimoto was taking artistic license. My guess is Return of the Jedi was pretty new and exciting in 1983 and everyone wanted lightsabers in their sci-fi art.

EDIT I've never seen any of the episodes for Orguss (although I own the DVD for Orguss 02).
Since both the Emann and Chiram sections have 'hand tool' and other personal mecha, was any thought given to profiling the 'small arms' or other hand weapons?
I included most images of a mechanical nature that I saw. There is an image showing a rifle and pistol that Chiram soldiers use but they so closely resemble modern, real-world guns that I didn't think it was interesting. I could include it if people want.

There is one, small image showing an Emaan pistol from behind in one of the This Is Animation books. The Miyatake artbook shows multiple views of this pistol but the line art images are so jaggedy and low-res that I can't use them. It looks like a printer error. I have 2 copies of Miyatake's art book and both have the same printer errors (they were purchased more than a year apart).

I hope I answered your questions and didn't bore you too much with details.

Engage

Post by Engage » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:26 pm

I've been wondering: Can the Orguss, or any of it's successors, detatch the gun from it's sheild?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:36 am

It's not really a shield on the side of the gun (although it looks that way). The gun is a missile gun. That half circle thingie holds the ammunition.

Nightmare of Solomon

Post by Nightmare of Solomon » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:54 pm

Thanks Tachyon- I wasn't sure if the flyer in the Taii pic was the same one or not- and I was pretty certain that the 'lightsaber' was pretty much a case of artistic licence-

Lightsabers do have this habit of showing up in anime, and more than a few parody- cross-over pieces place them in situations where they never would have appeared in the original series-

My favorite instance has to be the 'Dai-Con' reel bit where a Macross VF-1A reaches up and pulls the cannon out of its head and it flares up into a Gundam-style beamsaber-

kosh

Post by kosh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:00 pm

The new section looks great, I had no idea that there were so many different mechas in Orguss.
Do you understand?