Gearing up for Orguss Section

What's happening at GEARS

Moderator: kosh

kosh

Post by kosh » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:16 am

WOW! I had not seen a couple of these before and the designs are great. I have to say the Bronco II looks like a cross between a Valkyrie from Macross and a Core Fighter from from one of the later Gundam series. The Olson Special may be just a nod to the Fokker Special from Macross, but I don't know given the limited info available about Orguss.
Do you understand?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:43 am

I thought I'd have enough time to code the Orguss page but I just couldn't do it tonight. Anyways, here's a few:

Nebulard
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... ulard.html

Chiram One
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... amone.html

High Speed Shuttle
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... uttle.html
kosh wrote:The Olson Special may be just a nod to the Fokker Special from Macross
I hadn't seen this before. Hikaru and Kei both flew white mechs with red trim. Roy and Olson both flew mechs with yellow trim. Good catch!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:40 pm

Sheekick
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... /sheekick/

Glomar Class Ship
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... class.html

Deemora
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha/emaan/deemora/

I'll try to post the Orguss soon. I'm working this week on cleaning up images of Maneesha's fleet.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:58 am

kosh

Post by kosh » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:27 am

More good stuff. The Nebulard really looks good, it's a pity they didn't use it. I like the Drifand Dal, but the design and location of the cockpit always makes me grin. :D
Do you understand?

Newton

Post by Newton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Hey boy, you dissin' the crotch-pit?

Actually, I do find it interesting that there seems to be a lack of irony in the designs of various mecha. At least the Drifand-Dal's driver's seat is forward of a tripod configuration. Brain-Powered, the Zone of the Enders mecha, and Turn-A Gundam just have no excuse - the phallic and yonic symbolism is as subtle as a brick upside the head. :)

kosh

Post by kosh » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:57 pm

No disrespect dogg, it just tickles the streak of high school humor that I still have. :)
Do you understand?

Newton

Post by Newton » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:53 am

Y'know, I share that streak (God help me...). As a matter o' fact, it keeps me from doing the crotch-pit thing myself.

Not only does it look kinda dumb, but my inner Beavis just starts up - "heh, heh, he's driving it's BALLS, heh-heh.." :oops:

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:36 am

Read the Mu section

Code: Select all

The Mu actually know full well what is going to become of the earth. The increased global warming will make things too hot for animal life to exist, but tollerable for cybernetic (Mu) life to function. That is why they want to stop the Tokuiden and disable the D-traveller programs from suceeding.
The "Deemora" mothership I just called an Emaan Barge/carrier.

The "Sheekick" is known as the Kulforn at Orguss.freeservers. I'd have to look at the one episode they show up in again for some kind of confirmation- and I've never seen a model kit ever of this Terram craft.

Personally I call all Glomar-like ships "Caravans"- and there are many differnet types. It's a bit of fan-addition for me to flesh out more of the Orguss series, but I wouldn't lable this particular ship a "glomar type" since the only thing really Glomar-esque about it are the engines and brick shape. Just call it an Emaan free trader or something.

The Hasai cannon, iirc, was leant to the princess as a mining equipment tool.

The Mu's 'specialized unit' is most likely a Standard soldier under construction, or line art provided to show what they look like under their armor. I have never seen one of these during the series- except on a production line or as debris.

I personally called the 2nd lieutenant the 'advisor', since he doesn't have much of a combat role. You're also missing the collection of spheres that the 'colonel type' speaks with once during the course of the series. They all pop out of circular doors in a pair of ring-like structures surrounding a platform. From this we learn about the Mu's plans.

Mu drop pods are also missing. They are large screw-like pods that the bombers usually drop out of the back. I don't recall seeing them land- just being dropped.

I've always called the Karufon the Kulforn. It's side launcher packs, IIRC, are beam cannons. Don't recall a specific instance when they were used, but probably were like the M.lover's FA paks- used without announcement or showcase.

Olsen's Orguss has it's radio tuned to pick up Terram transmissions. Kei steals Olsen's Orguss for this reason once during the series (to contact Athena).

I've always held Mimsy is from clan Laarz, Shaya from clan Thoov.

'Reeg' on O.F. is "Leegh"

The bronco-II's model number is AV-11D (Attack-Variable-11?)

It's also interesting to note the similarities between the Ishkick's engines and those of the Bronco-II.[/b]

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:47 pm

Read the Mu section
This information makes sense and jives with the other things we know about the Mu so I'll include it. By the way, where did you find it?
The "Deemora" mothership I just called an Emaan Barge/carrier.
I admit the name sounds a little odd but it is hand written and printed several times in the Orguss books. I have no other official names/terms to disagree with it. It's worth noting that Maneesha's command ship is called "Deemora control ship" a few times in the books.

I noticed the Sheekick's alternate name at Mark Stout's site. I'm not able to find anything in the books to back up that name. The books call it a Sheekick and the name jives with the Nikick/Ishkick naming scheme.
Personally I call all Glomar-like ships "Caravans"
This one annoyed me. I think the ship was just background during a scene where the Glomar entered the large ship hangar building in the Emaan capital. I'm assuming that's why no useful information is given on the ship. It's 2 captions in the 2nd Orguss book tell that it's about 80 meters long, it's a Glomar type ship and that it's a Glomar class ship. We aren't told what purpose it serves. "Glomar Class Ship" is potentially misleading so I'll change it but I'm going to have to pull something out of a hat.
The Hasai cannon, iirc, was leant to the princess as a mining equipment tool.
That's useful information. Thanks!
The Mu's 'specialized unit' is most likely a Standard soldier under construction, or line art provided to show what they look like under their armor.
The caption confused me so I just slapped that on the page. I'll talk to my UK friend and see if I can get him to read the caption.
I personally called the 2nd lieutenant the 'advisor', since he doesn't have much of a combat role.
I just did a direct translation of the name.
You're also missing the collection of spheres that the 'colonel type' speaks with once
I think I remember the line art image to which you're referring. I'll try to read it's caption. There are a number of things in the Orguss books that I'm not even thinking about until the mecha and ships are posted online. The listings on the Mecha Section pages will grow during the "final pass" stage of my work.
Mu drop pods are also missing.
You mean this?
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... apsule.gif
I've always called the Karufon the Kulforn.
I haven't finally decided on that. It's a made-up name so I just transliterated it.
It's side launcher packs, IIRC, are beam cannons.
I'll add a note about that. Thanks!
Olsen's Orguss has it's radio tuned to pick up Terram transmissions. Kei steals Olsen's Orguss for this reason once
That will help flesh out the page. Thanks!
I've always held Mimsy is from clan Laarz, Shaya from clan Thoov.
Could be. I'm just transliterating the names.
'Reeg' on O.F. is "Leegh"
Yeah. I'd like to talk to Mark Stout about that but Emails to him bounce. I even contacted Christian Conkle, who worked with Mark on a Mekton project, and he said he knew of no way to contact Mark.
The bronco-II's model number is AV-11D (Attack-Variable-11?)
Cool. I'll add that.

Thank you, Norsehound, for all your help during this project. I still have your excellent map image. I'm going to add it soon.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Emaan ships are all scanned and cleaned up. I still need to scan a page that has 4 Chiram ships and 2 mystery small vessels. After the ships I'll go through my 2 Orguss books looking for odds and ends.

Off the top of my head, odds and ends includes the orbital elevator ascent pod, the orbital elevator, a Chiram fancy hover car, the Time/Space Bomb and some other stuff. No, I'm not scanning Mimsy's party dress from the night she met Srei or Paptee's cradle. Sorry, guys. You can't have everything. :D

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:16 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha/emaan/

On the Emaan page above you'll find the Orguss, submarine, container ship, Colonel William's battleship and the Drifand Dee. I also added the map of the Orguss world on the gallery page.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:01 pm

Deemora Mothership
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... rship.html

Maneesha's Command Ship
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... mmand.html

Maneesha's Shuttle
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... uttle.html

The Emaan ships and mecha are finished for now. I'll finish posting the Chiram mecha, post 4 more Chiram ships and then do my final pass through the Orguss books.

Norsehound

Post by Norsehound » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:35 am

Responses:
This information makes sense and jives with the other things we know about the Mu so I'll include it. By the way, where did you find it?
Either it was listed in en ep summary, posted on O.F., spoken in-dialouge (likely when the Adv. colonel model went to the Mu Council, or when the Advisor was talking to Tai). Plus it's obvious, given what happens when we find out what happened to a city Jabby finds terribly familiar...
I admit the name sounds a little odd but it is hand written and printed several times in the Orguss books. I have no other official names/terms to disagree with it. It's worth noting that Maneesha's command ship is called "Deemora control ship" a few times in the books.

I noticed the Sheekick's alternate name at Mark Stout's site. I'm not able to find anything in the books to back up that name. The books call it a Sheekick and the name jives with the Nikick/Ishkick naming scheme.
If it's in the art books I guess it's official... I'm assuming you have the dedicated art books- something I do not have.
This one annoyed me. I think the ship was just background during a scene where the Glomar entered the large ship hangar building in the Emaan capital. I'm assuming that's why no useful information is given on the ship. It's 2 captions in the 2nd Orguss book tell that it's about 80 meters long, it's a Glomar type ship and that it's a Glomar class ship. We aren't told what purpose it serves. "Glomar Class Ship" is potentially misleading so I'll change it but I'm going to have to pull something out of a hat.
What they probably mean by 'Glomar class ship' is 'a ship with the same function as the glomar'. It's an Emaan free trader that's supposed to look kinda sorta like the Glomar so we get the impression there are other caravans out and about doing buisness. IIRC, there was this ship and another like it headed out in the other direction from the Glomar. Shaya and the crew wave at them.
I think I remember the line art image to which you're referring. I'll try to read it's caption. There are a number of things in the Orguss books that I'm not even thinking about until the mecha and ships are posted online. The listings on the Mecha Section pages will grow during the "final pass" stage of my work.
Good to know- the old Orguss books are something akin to gold nowadays. I have in my possession four 1/72 scale model kits that I'm not touching until I have the ability to replicate them. They're out of production and I don't intend to sell them, but I don't want to build them and mess up. Anyways...
That's the one.
Thank you, Norsehound, for all your help during this project. I still have your excellent map image. I'm going to add it soon.
Happy to help. Orguss is too good of a series to be forgotten... but at least it didn't suffer the sad fate of Macross.

-------------------
New stuff;

Container ship, Recreational boat, Submarine(?): After the Glomar leaves atlantis they do enter the straights of Gibraltar to do some trading. On their way in they pass a number of marine craft- including the large container ship mentioned here.

It's possible that they're Emaan craft sold to Terram interests (all the more reason for the Terram to wipe them out???? buisness compeditors -Conjecture-), but it's more likely that these are ships created by Terram manufacturers after the Oscillation bomb went off. The Rec boat is not used by the crew at all.

M.lovers: might want to point out which sister flies which Drifand. Sometimes I get them confused... Also might want to point out that M.lover parts were used in constructing the Orguss (Maaie's arm units, Leeia's missile cannon).

Logwood: Obviously the heavy artillery support unit of the Terram. IIRC crew is two.

Bronco II Attack-Variable is my own fan conjecture, just so you know. I had the notion of sticking the VF (Variable Fighter) and AV (Attack Variable) fighters side-by-side and saying "History could have changed here" Alas... that is the origin of my conjeture.

The model number itself comes from the model kit of the Bronco. Yes, once upon a time it existed, and I've even seen fan painted models somewhere. But like all good things that too dissapeared through the internet.

A quick google search shows one small picture of the box art, but no blowup is available.

Hope that helps.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:42 pm

Ishkick
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha/chiram/ishkick/

Ishkick Command
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... mmand.html

Athena's Nikick
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha/chiram/nikick/

Nikick
http://www.gearsonline.net/orguss/mecha ... ndard.html

Alright! Now I feel like I'm making some progress. Norsehound, you called it on that Mu robot. The pages have been corrected. I got 2 mystery vehicles identified so I don't see any more road blocks in my way.

Now, to talk about some designs I just can't buy. I like the Drifand Dal and Nikick but I just can't stretch my imagination far enough to believe them. The Dal's cockpit is so exposed (especially for an armored tank!) that I can't buy it. If the Dal can hover why bother to give it legs? A person may argue that the Dal can only hover for short periods of time but then why do we see it flying along with the allied Chiram/Emaan fleet? And the Nikick? Once those legs fold up they don't magically become wings. Come on! You can't generate lift with those things!

Ok, enough of my spoilsport nature. Let's enjoy the Orguss pages as they take shape!